Newbie Payroll SHE looking for help

A forum just for our members who work on the payroll.

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Newbie Payroll SHE looking for help

Postby Becky Quilts » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:35 am

I've typed this three times, maybe the third time is the charm.

I recieved SHE and read it cover to cover yesterday. The big questions I am having wrapping my head around is how to schedule the Basic Weekly Plan around my FT work week. I don't know where I'm going to fit 6-12 hours worth of 'moderate cleaning' and tips on p41 are marginally helpful... I'm wondering what other SHE's have come up with in the real world.

I'm a working mom with DS3 and a LO due in late June. I've tried Flylady off and on but get hung up after a little progress and am hoping Pam & Peggy's 3x5's are the clear picture I need. Honestly I haven't even started writing out the cards as I'm afraid of how many there will be!

I'm thinking a lot of the frequencies are going to have be taken down - but less frequent than ideal is better than not at all, right? Am I heading in the right direction?

SO how does your Basic Work Week look? How do you fit it in, being a Payroll SHE?

Thanks!

~Becky
Becky Quilts

Re: Newbie Payroll SHE looking for help

Postby trissie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi, Becky, and welcome! It is a bit quiet here at the payroll forum, but we usually do great with following if somebody starts! :-)

I have been doing FlyLady on and off since 2005, and right now I am considering switching to the card system, because I think it could be more flexible. But nevertheless, the system never works if you don't work it!

I think that with a full time job, a 3yo and a baby on the way you will have to downscale on the cleaning - and also delegate. Is there a husband/partner who could share the chores?

6-12 hours of "moderate cleaning" seems really a lot to me. Does that include cooking, laundry and dailies? Even so, it still is a lot to fit in!

FlyLady swears by the routines (which take 15-30 minutes), and the weekly home blessing hour. Now that's not enough for me, but (on good days), I have three daily routines:

morning
* get dressed, hygiene (15 min)
* feed critters (2min)
* spiff up upstairs bathroom (4 min)
* breakfast (15 min)

afterwork routine - alltogether 15 min without dinner
* feed critters, scoop litterbox (5 min)
* start laundry
* PU&PA (pick up and put away) in bedroom
* PU&PA office and hallway
* spiff up downstairs bathroom
* make dinner and eat it

evening routine - usually 20 min
* clean kitchen
* PU&PA living room
* hang laundry

If done daily, these routines can keep the entire household fed, in clean clothes, and the house company ready at all times. Yes, on some days I don't clean all the messes - but I get to them the next day! And sometimes I even manage a quick vacuuming session within the afterwork/evening routine.

So, my advice to you is - figure out, what is really necessary (usually that is the 3Ds - dinner, duds, and dishes), do that, and set a time limit (15 minutes or so) every day or twice a day and get other things done. What gets done, is done, what not, you'll get around to it tomorrow or next week.

Don't try to do it all. Perfect is only for magazine pictures, not real life!

All the best,

trissie
trissie

Postby Shandy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 am

Hi!

I'm a Payroll SHE with a DD and DH and two DMD's (Darling Mini Doxies). Unlike most of the others, I started with FlyLady, and while I love what she does, I could not make it work for me. I found Pam's books through FlyLady and started my card system about 5 years ago. Here's what worked for me:

I made a list of everything in the book that she and her sister suggest along with the time frames.

I then went back through it and highlighted only those things that I felt would be reasonable for me to start with so that I wouldn't be overwhelmed.

Then I wrote each task on it's own card with the time frames.

At the time, I used what I had on hand, which was VERY hard for me - I wanted to go buy new cute cards and a cute cardholder, but I didn't. I had the larger 4x6 cards. For some reason, it feels like I got more done when I finish and refile one of those larger cards than one of the little teeny 1/2 cards I've seen around. I know it's all in my head, but it's what works for me.

I included things like feeding the dogs and taking my vitamins each with their own card. That way, they were sprinkled in with the more labor intensive (polish dining table) so I felt like I was getting more done.

When I filed them for the first time, I spread out all of the tasks over a long time frame so I wouldn't get freaked out about how much needed to be done. Besides, if my drip pans had gone for 6 months without washing, they could wait another month.

Then I started a habit of reviewing my cards every morning while I eat breakfast. If it is something that can happen while I'm at work, like washing the sofa slipcovers, then I'll put them in the wash before I leave and dry them when I get home.

If I didn't get it done or if the task was going to take longer than I had available in the evening after work, I would refile the card for a different date and try not to move it more than twice before finishing the task.

After a while, I felt I had things under control and I went back to the original complete list and added in a few more tasks to my routine.

I hope that helps some!
Shandy
Shandy

Postby Sully's wife » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:10 am

I'm so glad you posted this. I am re-starting for the 10000000th time, and I would always get discouraged about the amount of time it took to set up any plan. I work full-time and my kids have activities in the evening, homework, life gets in the way of a clutter free house :). I wanted to do what I was suppose to do every day, I would be in bed at midnight each night. I'm not kidding you, I quit the last time because it was a choice of a shiney sink or sleep...sleep won. So, then I switched to just weekends, I found that my meal planning, room planning etc took up my morning and no time with kids to enjoy them...I guess, I'm really a perfectionist, and give up if things aren't perfect from the get go. Help! :)
Sully's wife

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:10 am

Sully i also work full time with kids in activities, the hosue is never perfect but i do keep up with the three D's, dishes, duds (laundrey) and dinner anything else is bonus
atlanticflyer

Postby she123 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:23 pm

okay, i'm getting divorced, had to start working full time and finally seeming to come out of a "fog" from all of the upheaval.
I just emailed keeper about her free 4 week class,
I have my cards made out but they have been sitting there for a long while, I too LOVE flylady but i don't have all of the time it took to clean my house from top to bottom every month.

I love the am and pm routines of flylady's especially. I also have read here bout TDD (triple dog dare) i wish i could find that thread. BUT time is limited--daily now it seems, so I will post this thread, do my morning routine--which i should have done last night :oops: and go in to work today for a few hours.

will return this evening and post my progress.

she123
she123

Postby atlanticflyer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 pm

good luck!
atlanticflyer

Postby decaf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

she123, Triple Dog Dare is TDD under the Fun and Games thread. Its a hop in and out thread, where we post that we are feeding dogs, advancing lols and fighting with that last pot. We have several payroll and working for themselves folks there. We just start where we are. Hope that helps.
decaf

Postby she123 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:50 pm

thanks for the explanation of the TDD--i think i'll go there and give it a go!
she123
she123

Postby keeper » Mon May 02, 2011 3:11 am

Anyone who tried to contact me via email I haven't recieved them. Please please forgive me. I did not get any response after a few weeks, and stopped checking. I actually forgot about it after a while, who likes rejection :)

Well... my email is fullnrich@yahoo.com. I will for sure get it there. Please contact me if you want help, getting started, I've been doing this for 20 plus years, and you are right, you can not do all those hours of cleaning in a day. That was written for stay at home moms, a lot has changed since then.

I can help.

Kathy
keeper

Postby Joslyn66 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm also a newbie Payroll SHE. I am in the process of reading the book and starting my card file. I've been doing Flylady for close to a year, but was looking for a little more flexibility. I really like the Weekly Home Blessing she does, and because I work I spread out the tasks throughout the week and try to do 1 every day or so. It was difficult for me at first because I was raised with the massive house cleaning Saturday event that took all day long and thought I had to do that too. Now that I have a 3 year old son, I just cannot nor do I want to spend my entire day Saturday cleaning. And I have to admit, trying to get cleaning done in the evenings on a work week is difficult. This weekend I sat down and made my list of things I'd like to do as far as cleaning is concerned, and made my 3 x 5 cards. I really got overwhelmed at the sheer number of jobs, and cards. To avoid a Saturday cleaning marathon, I feel I have to put jobs during the week. Problem is, by the time I get home, cook and eat dinner, and clean up the kitchen - it's time to put my son to bed and myself to bed! I don't know - maybe I"m lazy?? But I'm tired at the end of the day!! I just don't know how to fit it all in. Should I do away with some of the cleaning jobs and do the bare minimum? I don't know - sometimes I think that I should stick to just the basics (like the Weekly Home Blessing Hour) but then on the other hand I feel it defeats my purpose of trying to get things more organized and clean (for example, and this is embarrasing, I have NEVER washed the blinds or curtains in my house and I've lived there close to 4 years!!!) The reason for my wanting to keep a cleaner home is that my son has asthma and so I really want to reduce the amount of dust in my house. I can see where this system would work really well for people who stay at home, or stay at home moms, but being that I work outside the home I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with it all. I'm also trying to stick to Flylady's Zones, but trying to get all the cleaning done in a month just seems like a recipe for failure. I'm here looking for some fellow Payroll SHEs to share ideas and tips with, and get some help to get started on the system.

Thanks!

Joslyn
Joslyn66

Postby AlleyKat » Mon May 09, 2011 4:06 am

Hi Joslyn, I don't have any answers for you, but I can symphathize with you!! I have been doing this for about 5 years now, and I still don't know how to avoid the Saturday day cleaning. I know that the less cluttered our houses, the less time it takes on Saturday...but still some things have to be done that day! I have found I don't mind doing the house cleaning as long as it doesn't take all day, but after working at the office all day, it kind of feels good to be blessing my home on Saturday.

Anyways, welcome aboard!

Alley
AlleyKat

Postby Tildy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Welcome! Just read the book and get the idea in your mind. Start with a very basic system of what must absolutely be done...such as emptying the trash, doing the dishes and laundry, changing the bedding...all your little daily jobs. Think of how to spread them out over the week so that you aren't over whelmed. Some stuff is probably habit already but if you go through the book and do the exercises, you will think of some things that often get forgotten, like turning the mattress over every so often. Those things will get put in the file and put them a ways off for now so you get used to the basic routine. Using your file will help with those pesky little "duh" moments we all have. You can streamline the file to make it work for you. Anything that is a good idea but too overwhelming at the beginning should still go in the file but put it in the future...say, a couple of months down the road. You know your schedule best and can decide how urgent things are and when works the best for you. Give yourself time to tweak it. P&P always say it isn't about perfection, but general improvement. You will see improvement over time. Good luck!
Tildy

Postby atlanticflyer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 am

I alaways felt bad that I couldn't post todos like the SAHm on this board and the frustration really got to me. I do the three D's daily and add decluttering. the evenings are filled with taking kids to activities and my volunteer stuff. the weekends are for floors, bathroom and catch up. it is about all you can do as a working mom so don't feel bad about the curtains, ask me when I last cleaned my stove :oops:
atlanticflyer

Postby catnipper » Sat May 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Newbie,
If you are expecting a LO in late June, maybe you should only worry about the health and safety issues.
Make sure you can find the basics for you and the children. If the clutter is picked up and the dishes and
laundry are under control, then life is okay.

If you're not having a traditional baby shower, how about a cleaning shower?? Would you feel okay if
your friends and family came over and helped you clean up? Don't worry if you never heard of this, I
just thought of it as I was writing this post. I've also heard of "Feed the Freezer" showers where guests
bring healthy food to put in the freezer, so you don't have to cook after the baby is born.

Let us know how you're doing
catnipper

Postby goodsimphone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am

Honestly I haven't even started writing out the cards as I'm afraid of how many there will be!
goldenslot
goodsimphone

Postby AlleyKat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi! Welcome to the She Forums!

I set up my card file a little different than Flylady or Pam and Peggy. I didn't need a specific card for every job. Once I had direction, I could clean a room, so I set up to work on a different room each day. Monday is kitchen, Tuesday is dining room, etc. Then I only needed a card for the things I overlook like cleaning the ceiling fan or the top of the fridge. That way I have fewer cards and it isn't as overwhelming.

You didn't mention if you work, if so you might have to dedicate Saturday to cleaning. However, the nice thing about not being at home all day is once you get your house cleaner, it will stay that way longer (if you pick up after yourselves through the week...something I haven't mastered yet :wink: )

Good luck!

Alley
AlleyKat

Postby adrank888 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:17 am

I've typed this three times, maybe the third time is the charm.

Gclub
adrank888

Return to Payroll SHEs Discussion Board