Happy April in the Coffee House

This is the home of the PWYC, Room by Room, Eddie's, Laundry - Come check us out!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Re: Happy April in the Coffee House

Post by Gma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:14 am

CL, you are such an inspiration! I have thought it would be good for me to make a menu so I could be organized in seeing to it that mother has some wellbalanced meals when I am out on what is becoming my MANY dates :D

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

Gma a menu plan would be a great idea!

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Very productive day. Only thing left on yesterdaays list is make menu and grocerylist and filing paper I didnt dye hair either. I did everything else.

We have a 2 hour drive this morning and back home later. Will take computer and work on menu and start creating power points and things I need for class. Going back home to help sis move and see step mom.

Prince folded laundry. He will do filing tomorrow.

Good news Our tax bill dropped substantially once I did Mary Kay part. mK saved me 1500 dollrs. We also got 1200 back on state thanks mostly to my 529 accounts. Making our out of pocket only 1300 way better than 4000. Now we have property taxes coming up as well. May go rechange my w4 again because I dont believe we need to pull so much a month any more. That brain dump really helped. Must take my own food. Going to be all sorts of temptations I cant have. Will make sausage and pancakes again. Take chicken and salad and. Deviled eggs and chocolate. I need tomake a goodie for church tomorrow and one for next week at school. Will make a double batch and share. Must bake bread and make buns.

I should get my new cookbook today I hope.

Gma menues can be reuseable too. I used to operate with 4. Weeks worth. Basically I come up with meals we like and then put those up and Prince chooses which he prefers to make occasinally I assign them to specific days. My diet got stricter so meals have changed. I mostly plan dinners. Lunch is usually salad and meat or leftovers. Breakfast is usually a smoothie.

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Wow that's great your tax bill dropped that much. I think ours was probably around 1000 or more too. I keep forgetting to mention a change till dh figured it out my janitorial boss wasn't taking anything off. Oops. Oh well.

Finally feel like I am back to normal. I slept until dh was on the way to work almost. Guess I needed it. I am finally getting the hang of menu planning here. I hope it lasts. Easter dinner almost threw it off. It did help the other day as I planned stuff around the events of me not being able to eat. And something gentle I might want coming home. Could have been harder yet. As it was Dd made burgers the night I could not eat and cooked them outside. Then just a basic chicken and rice next night. I have mostly been using barilla pasta and I found a sprouted grain bread which I quite like that is good for digestive issues without going gluten free all the way. Still need to up the veggies in the diet and train ds 8 to eat a bit more variety. But that's a whole other story. Dr took a bunch of samples and didn't see anything abnormal in my tests so well go from there and figure out what I should do with the diet after results come back.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 pm

that is awesome CL that the tax bill dropped

laurlind glad they didn't find anything abnormal

we need to do our taxes, we should get a bit back due to gregs tuition and my RRSP but it isn't a lot we get back

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:49 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 am

Af that's a great picture for today. I don't understand. I am so tired the last few days. Since the tests I guess but a couple friends even at church said I look tired. I feel like sleep isn't really helping as much as it should. I know there must be something more than just my system not moving as often as well. From being cleaned out for the tests yesterday for sure already the gas and cramping pain was there again. I am still having to be a bit careful with balance. Makes no sense. I thought I was eating well and getting enough sleep. I should book my appointment soon to see who I can get in to. Maybe I should take my b 12 with me and stop by the clinic after work.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 am

hope you can see someone laurlind

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am

Supermama

Post by Supermama » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Ice storm here for 3 days. Power out for 24 hours til 11am today. House was 9C/48F. Lotsa blankets and puppy cuddles. warming up now. Went out for the first time since Fri just now to get groceries.

Winter can stop anytime.

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 pm

(((supermama))) yes, a long winter. Our power didn''t' go out, but we did have at least 12 inches of snow, along with wind. windchill today is +9F, actual temp in 20s, which doesn't feel to bad actually when the sun comes out. It is high enough in the sky to provide a little warmth!

I am indoors, sorting and separating winter/ spring/ summer/ and fall clothes. Just separating them is a challenge. Then when I know what I ahve for each season, I maybe can cull down!

supper will be leftovers from turkey dinner served at local family restaurant, along with their good gravy and mpot, and some kind of vegetable and salad.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:51 am

((((Supermama))))

GMA for once I won't complain about our weather. It is cold but no snow

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 am

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am

Happy Tuesday. Well my celebration of less taxes was short lived. I got my property tax statement for the year and while it dropped 50% over last years which is good I discovered that I forgot to pay November's installment so all of the money I thought I saved on Federal taxes I have to pay on property taxes so the basement money still took a huge hit. I hate taxes. I must set up our money to escrow into an account somewhere to pay off property taxes in November 6 months so about 90 a pay check should cover it. I keep taking money out of check for these payments but we really don't have that big of a buffer space. Must really sit down and write out our budget and see where we can cut some expenses.

Tonight I must work on my power points for my conference workshops next week - I have a week to prepare.

Have a great evening. We finally have sunny sort of warmish about 60 degree weather.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 am

cl, that's a huge bummer! Does your county/ state/ or whatever government level that collects the tax ahve a program where they will take it our for you? Then it is not forgotten, and there is no penalty. Our county sends a letter reminding of the date so I can make sure I have the $ in the account for the date they will be taking it out. I think we all hate taxes, but they pay for our roads, our children's education, and plenty of other things we use as a society.
I got my federal refund check today! yaay for that!
Mom had an MRI today, followed by a day of shopping. a full day of shopping, and just plain a full day.
so I am tired too. She wants to do more shopping tomorrow. of course.
I was so happy when I got a portion of my extra bed uncovered! many things sorted, including 20! long sleeved turtlenecks. I am not going to cull until I know what I have, and what goes with what.

tomorrow is garbage day, so I have to get that our at my hosue, then to mother's to sleep.
It has been a long day.
snow in forecast for tomorrow - evening I think. then more, too. about 5 inches expected ehre. Easy peasy after 12+; paper said it was 15-16.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:07 am

cl sorry about the taxes

gma 20 turtlenecks? :shock:

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 am

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:10 pm

GMA Wow, the boys must be totally immune to snow as no one has mentioned it. I did note Cameron's check was less this week and that could totally be due to snow. That is a lot of turtlenecks. I could have had it escrowed in my housepayment but I didn't. I am normally very good about this, I really thought I had done it, so much so I spent an hour researching the bank but could find no withdrawal or check written for that amount and I found the actual bill, it had gotten put somewhere. I set an alarm in my phone to remind me in November. We have the money but it was earmarked for the basement. Now we will only have enough to pay for foaming, not the drywallers so I will start saving again. We are not close to that being ready anyway.

My car is being fixed today and Friday. The brake pads were fine and he is changing out emergency brake cord. I hope to have it by lunch. Then Friday I will drop it off for AC cap off. My student's dad is going to do my catalytic converter for about half what I was priced sometime soon. I will get oil changed and it vacuumed out on Saturday. That should give me easily another year on that van, hopefully enough time to finish big part of basement then next year I will get myself a newer and more gas efficient car with money I will save for that purpose.

I am home this morning, cleaning lady is coming, she was supposed to come Monday but is switching to Wednesdays. She said she would get here late morning.

I need to set up bills for Friday and pay my property taxes now, due by May 10, but I have the money now so just want to get it off my plate. I also need to outline and begin those power points, must be done by Sunday. I have to make 75 packets for each to take.

I had the sweetest exchange with my boss yesterday. Tonight we have some professional guests coming in to teach how to write a resume and cover letter. I told him I was excited and I was bringing in my resume to update. The look on his face was priceless, kind of a horror shock look. I immediately assured him I wasn't going anywhere it was just good to have an updated Vitae (haven't updated in 16 years) and he just blurted out "The HELL you will, I will give you the worst reference ever!" It was adoreable and so uncharacteristic of him, he is very religious, serious person and it was a total knee jerk reaction. He got very embarrassed and tried to play it off but I said - "thanks" and smiled and laughed and again promised I wasn't going anywhere, we swore to retire together and I would honor that (except now he is talking 5 years and I was wanting at least 15 or 10 so I promise to retire after him). It means I panicked him and I am HIS teacher that he depends the most on. Our numbers would suck without my classes, I am aware, I study the numbers every Monday. Totally made my day actually. Our teaching assistant was standing there and she got this very confused look on her face and then rolled her eyes and walked out of the room. It was purely comical. This man is one of my very favorite people in the world, he ranks right behind my Prince and the boys. We are such very good friends. It was nice to see him let down his guard and if I ever questioned his loyalty to me, it was surely out the window today. We have a very small staff. 9 teachers, 6 that reside in the building, 4 teaching assistants, a secretary, a testing proctor and 2 custodians and my boss, the director/principal. We are all very close and most of us have been together for years, only our 3 satellite teachers are new. I share an assistant with Boss hense why she was in room for the convo, 2 of the ELL (English Language Learners) teachers share 1, the other ELL teacher has a part time one of her own and the other 2 ABE teachers share one. The satellite teachers don't get one right now as they only teach small amounts a week so boss enters their data and does their pre and post testing himself. We have the lead assistant who trains all of the others because I have about 3 times more students than any other full time teacher because I am very fast and getting them through the program. My assistant is really more of my secretary and she is in charge of my testing and data entry. I lose her 1 week every 6 so she can do pretesting for the school with my boss. That usually works because by that week I am usually out of students and waiting on more. She only works 20 hours a week so is part time. The 2 shared assistants work 30 which is considered full time and the other part time assistant is with only 1 teacher. We are very lucky as many adult ed teachers don't get assistants and the paper work is immense. We are also very lucky as we are paid at school rate for teacher salaries. Many adult ed teachers are not under a school corporation and they are paid hourly and are only part time and the pay is rather insulting. We have 7 full time teachers and 2 part time teachers. Our 1 satellite ft teacher teaches at a factory and has a morning class and an evening class but they come in as a group on one test that boss gives and then teacher gives the entire class the post test on same day which boss enters in computer and boss gives their Work Keys. They come to our center for their high school equivalency test so only paper work she has to do is her attendance. There is not a lot of in and out in her program. I have the most paperwork as I get almost all the special ed students with IEP's, almost all of the teens with their exit forms from high school, and I graduate the most students. This year we have graduated 80 and of those I have done 50 of them. See why he panicked? I have 8 in the pipeline right now and 12 more that will be done before end of May. Shooting for 70 graduates this year, that will be a record for me with this new test. Had 80 the year the GED ended but that was motivation to finish if you just had 1 test left.

I am procrastinating and I must get busy.

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm

New list: Entire list for house last weekend got done -go me (exception menu list but I just plan each morning for that night and tell Prince what to cook so it is working)

School list needs some work.

Prep for graduation May 9 by: I have a little time here but must do some of these.
submitting National Honor Society nominations on Monday - will pick up today or maybe run in and do those. DONE
Make up certificate list this week
contact students I haven't heard from
Make cap and gown list - pull gowns and take cap boxes and tassles with.
Make sure newspapers are alerted
Go through check off sheet to make sure everything is done
make a music sound track (may bet Cameron to help me with this)
Find a photographer, contact principal and video teacher _ CONTACT MADE AWAITING ANSWER

Follow up with students:
Try to get everyone scheduled for testing in next 2 weeks so they can graduate this year. IN PROGRESS, first test happening now and is full, second test is next week and I am working on filling it.
Get students in to finish program this semester
Sort and organize student paperwork and make sure all gains are turned in to Rob

Conference in 2 weeks:
Create 2 power points - BIGGEST FIRE TO DO FIRST
collect handouts and send to print shop _ Won't go to PRINT SHOP unless they can assure me I could pick up on Tuesday.

Facebook group:
Upload lesson plans in each area before conference
Make posters to put in frames advertising this page.

Write up final PDF report for May - must do some follow ups with my region directors.

Summer School:
Revamp summer school plans from last summer to hand out again

Computer:
Check into getting a repository folder to upload all of my audio files on class computers - Sending help ticket now - also need to put these on a data stick.

Supermama

Post by Supermama » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Cl- you are remarkable.

I am not getting lots done off of the big list. Mostly getting dailies done.
I run a local business networking group for the municipality and that was last night. suspected it would be a flop because of weather and it was not. Tonight is a local creative writing group meeting. I love this. More than I thought I would. it is vulnerable sharing your craft with people you see on the street every day and many are clients.
Steady work today.

Hugs!!

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

(((hugs))) back supermama

I can tell you are valued CL!

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

wonderful conversation, cl! Twin Cities got quite a bit of snow over weekend as did we. It is snowing again here, twin Cities only expect an inch, but we are south of htem, and further south of us have 7 inches expected, I think we are supposed to only get 3-5, which is hardly enough to shovel when we expect warming sun to melt it.

continuing to sort through clothes and more. Found big set of fleece queen size sheets to give to salv army.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:05 pm

i love it when the sun takes it away gma!

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 am

I made a wonderful supper tonight. At least i thought so. Mom said it was "ok" which is her way of saying, don't make it again. We just cant seem to agree on what is good. I have become lactose intolerant, she likes any and all things creamed. She wants beef mostly, I prefer fish. I want vegetables, she wants dessert. I recognize that she is 93 and should be able to eat what she wants, but she won't cook.
Yes, if she won't cook, she should eat what is put in front of her. But I also should honor her preferences. What a dilemma.
Mr VKM had a long day today, it was snowy and rainy, and he was wet and cold. He stopped in my town (for a delivery) and we had a short cup of coffee. Then I asked him to return for supper, as I was planning to cook. He likes salmon, and it was leftover from Saturday night. I saute'd alot of veggies: onions, celery, green beans, tomato chunks, then added yellow pepper, parsley and a roasted head of garlic at the end, just seasoned them lightly, made a lemon. honey/ white wine sauce, cooked some pasta, and reheated teh salmon. Pasta with salmon on top, all those veggies on adn around the salmon, then poured the sauce over, and grated a little lemon rind onto it. Plus made biscuits and added a couple apricot halves for garnish. I thought it was spectacular, and said so. Mom scolded me for saying how good I thought it tasted. I would like to make it again - don't you think it sounds good!?
I am sure that Mr VKM was happy to have a nice hot home cooked meal.

another full day tomorrow. she is raring to go now - didn't get up until I called and woke ehr at 130pm. I on the other hand, was awake at 0830 and am soon ready for bed.
I cam home to get some clean underwear and sox. I just bought some new so that I can have an entire week of clean at her house.