Happy January in the Coffee House

This is the home of the PWYC, Room by Room, Eddie's, Laundry - Come check us out!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

atlanticflyer

Re: Happy January in the Coffee House

Post by atlanticflyer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm

that is crazy alley only able to sub three days a week!

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am

That does make it hard subbing like that. Ds second grade class teacher had her hip replaced this year. She was there for like 2 weeks and then just back after Christmas. Thankfully the same sub did the whole 3 months. Unless she was sick. Now it's almost like Starting over again. He says they are doing different things than they did before. He's already not a big fan of school. I'm sure it will be fine as I know his regular teacher and she could have taught me she's been doing it so long. Just the change is hard on him.

Good day today. Bible study in the morning and then 2 piano lessons almost one after another. Both did good. My nephew is such a different style. He wants to learn more pop style and by ear. I am a church pianist and wannabe classical. I don't know his favorite styles lol. Oh well he can do it.

mom-91

Post by mom-91 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 am

lauralind I am sure you are helping nephew even if not knowing his style yet

hi atlantic hope you stay dug out

Alley that is weird rule

Becca's school has a substitute part time administrator while their time administrator is on maternity leave. it is not working very well
when Becc'a teacher went to see if teacher could change Becca's job site found out paperwork was currently for the wrong jobsite

CL I will look at that link

Gma congrats to them

hi kittykatt

tomorrow I have book club and then Torah study in another location

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

Mom hope Becca's teacher got it straightened out

Laurlind how many students do you have?

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Desert Bloom

Post by Desert Bloom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Costumelady wrote:House - Cleaning lady has to come back to finish second floor today
Costumelady, I am thinking about hiring a cleaning lady and would be interested in reading anything you would be willing to share about your experience with this subject.

I've always wanted to have a cleaning lady, but was concerned about security and trustworthyness, but now a trusted neighbor wants cleaning work, so now may be the time!

Does your cleaning lady do the same things every time, and what things does she do? How often does she come? Do you pay a set amount every month, or does the amount change?

Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share on this subject, Costumelady! :D

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 pm

2 formal ones my nephew and an 8 yr old girl from church plus still occasional direction for Dd. I had dds other friend as a student till she moved last summer.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm

desertbloom I think it is an awesome idea!

laurlind would you like more students?

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 am

Hey, Desert Bloom, thanks for stopping by! Here's a coffee cup for you.
I've always wanted a housekeeper, too. Most people you can schedule for once a week, once a month, or one-time-only services. I imagine if the job is the same time after time, then it seems like the cost would be also.

I worked again today, for the other 2nd grade class. Working in the schools is ideal, because I can work during the winter in Alabama, and spend my summers in Michigan. I got my new granddaughter last June, and I love to spend as much time as I can there.

I need to make as list, but first I'm going to rustle up some supper. Neither DH or I cooked, so leftovers it is :D

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 am

Alley how many grandchildren do you have now?

Desert Bloom

Post by Desert Bloom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 am

atlanticflyer wrote:desertbloom I think it is an awesome idea!
Thank you for your great encouragement, atlanticflyer! :D
AlleyKat wrote:Hey, Desert Bloom, thanks for stopping by! Here's a coffee cup for you.
I've always wanted a housekeeper, too. Most people you can schedule for once a week, once a month, or one-time-only services. I imagine if the job is the same time after time, then it seems like the cost would be also.

AlleyKat, thanks for sharing about pricing. Hopefully I can hire out some FLYLady tasks once a month (which would be far more often than my current several times a year method :oops:).

I hope you are able to find a way to get a housekeeper, too! Maybe start by hiring out the tasks you like the least? And, thank you so much for the beautiful coffee cup! :D

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am

I have done some house keeping in my day. It was pretty much whb . Bathrooms dust mopping vacuuming. Make sure you get all the corners. Each place was a little different but usually a routine every time. I did my janitorial boss house for several years. The basics then whatever odd and ends she needed. If she left sheets I would change them. 3 story house took me 4 hrs every couple weeks. Paid same every time.

I want to see if I can be successful with nephew and little k. Maybe I could take more but I would have to change my work schedule. Bible study and 2 lessons pretty much uses up my Wednesday. I suppose there is time to fit another homeschool one in between if needed. Well see i kind of like it and I discovered Pinterest. A whole new world of ideas and how to and such. So well see.

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am

love pinterest Laurlind!

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Desert Bloom - I have had cleaning ladies since I was a child. I have never used a service just a person. Growing up we had the same lady, she stayed at our house about 4 hours every Friday and then she cleaned for our friend in the afternoon (which was her day off from her regular job) and I think my mom paid her 20 or 30 dollars and fed her lunch - she like to watch her soap opera and clean at her leisure - I loved her - she was amazing. Our house was small and pretty much always clean. I was the cleaning lady from age 14 to 18 - I am very good at it I just don't enjoy it. She would do extra stuff for mom sometimes like make a pie or a casserole for us. She was very thorough, clean light fixtures, and dusted doors and baseboards etc. I think she was with us nearly 10 years. Now this was 40 years ago. When I got my own place as soon as I could afford it I hired someone. My first cleaning lady was actually my sister in law - she was with me the entire 7 years I was married to my first husband and for about 5 years with my second one and she charged me at that time $10 an hour raising it to 15 over the years and stayed about 4 hours - she would strip and change our beds, change the towels and put them all in to wash (we have 2 sets of everything) clean the bathroom, kitchen and floors and dust. The house just gleamed, it was my favorite day of the week and she came weekly. During the boys teen years, we cleaned as a family because I felt it was important that they learned these skills, we did a house blessing every weekend and as a group of 4 1/2 (ryan wasn't much help) we could clean our house in just a little over an hour with 4 - 15 minute jobs. 15 minutes was spent tidying - everyone had areas and we raced the clock. 15 minutes on our 3 bathrooms and kitchen (guys did bathrooms and I did kitchen). 15 minutes on changing sheets and towels and dusting. 15 minutes on floors - we had 3 floors and each of the big guys took a floor and a vacuum and I mopped/steamed solid surface floors - Ryan (a baby and young child under 8 did baseboards, folded towels, eventually did half bath, helped me with my tasks. Now we had a laundry schedule, always do our dishes after dinner and do a house sweep each night so the house is actually usually not in a bad place. Cameron tells me he still cleans this way in stages and I do to when I have to clean. Prince and I have a method that works. We take a laundry basket and start tidying each room (my job and I put everything that doesn't belong in a basket and Prince swaps out and puts the basket away during tidying time. I clean bathrooms and kitchen and dust and he sweeps and steams the floors. Together we can clean in about 3 hours because we spend time organizing naturally as we put things away. Lately I just don't have 3 hours I want to spend on the house so hired a new person twice a month. I have had numerous others and the price has gone up and up. I haven't kept them more than a year since then. Often I just don't like the way they clean or they can't be depended upon or our finances make me have to take a break for a bit. Currently I have a woman that is OK and she is very affordable and very trustworthy. She charges me 20 an hour and can do my house in 3 hours so I pay her $60 cash. Usually I only have her clean the main floor as no one is upstairs, I have her do a light dust mop of the stairs and floor in attic once a month. She cleans for me every other week usually sometimes we go to once a month. She is not as good as my ex sister in law or claudia (childhood) and unfortunately they spoiled me. I always hire people that I trust because I have to usually have them clean when I am not home. The going rate around here is between 25 and 30 an hour usually except this woman. The last lady was 25 an hour and it took her 4 hours and we didn't have the attic at all then. What I have H do now is mostly clean bathrooms (usually she only has one full and toilet and sink in second and third one I ask her to just turn on shower and sink and flush toilet to keep water from going stale in drain, the kitchen counters and sink and cabinets and stove and all floors (floors take her 2 of her 3 hours as mine are hard wood and take 2 to 3 passes, one sweep, one mop and one steam in wood direction) - dust a little as she sees the need. I don't have her do sheets or anything like that. As an empty nest in a new home - we are actually quite organized and tidy. I change sheets and do laundry on Fridays as well as bills. I do have 3 dogs who shed and track so the floors always need help. When I hire a new person, I make a list of what I want done and we negotiate an hourly rate and I tell her how long I want her to clean. If she is able to do it in that time then after a week or two we set a house price based on her average time. If she isn't I have to decide if I like her well enough to keep her and if I want to pay her more to complete the job or split up the tasks. Makes it easier for me to pay her if by house. Sometimes when we have company and I need more spaces cleaned I ask for an extra hour or two in advance or if I am going to stay home and I need her help to organize (she is great at organizing) and we work together and I pay her extra. No one else can put away my things, so I prefer to tidy and put away before she comes, her job is to clean, my job is to make it so she can. I had one woman who hated clutter and she would hide things from me by putting them in drawers - I hated that. Make sure you show how you want something done or if you want a certain cleaner used or have a way you want it done let them know. I give them a basket for I don't know what to do with this, in case I didn't tidy as well as I should have. I put it away when I get home. When Cameron moves home in the fall, I am going to offer him the job once a week to do all 3 floors (hopefully the basement will be done) for $100 a week. Cameron is so very very neat and clean and he will be able to put things away and decorate and organize as he does and it will help him have spending money so he can focus on school. He can also do it in stages through out the week. He won't have to pay rent or food and I need him to do well in school. He used to do our Laundry from money from age 8 to 12. If you use a service I know they don't pick up and usually send in a team. They are bonded or make sure they are before hiring them. They clean fast but it can be more costly than a single person. Another good way to find someone is ask for referrals from friends. I love a clean house and I especially love it if someone does it for me.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Good morning friends! It's a gray day today, and the temperature will drop, I still choose to be joyful. There is a verse I like:

We thank Thee, Lord
For happy hearts,
For rain and sunny weather.
We thank Thee that today,
We are all together.

That is what "home" means to me.

Okey, dokey, on to being intentional about my home. I want to create a planner for myself. I still use, and love, the 3 X 5 system. But I need an updated version (is there and app for that :lol: Funny how our language has changed since I first started following Pam and Peggy :D

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm

cold - below 0 But sun is shining
snow - yesterday, needs to be blown out of driveway
good news from my financial planner: my account is up 20% from beginning to end of 2017. That bodes well for the future of my retirement years!

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 pm

That is awesome the!
Afternoon C L and Alley!

mom-91

Post by mom-91 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:20 am

Gma that is nice news

AlleyKat great prayer

atlantic thanks

CL how are your boys doing?

lauralind starting small with giving lessons is a good way to figure out if it is right for you

Desert Bloom, I have had women who pick up stuff and do dishes and laundry too but that does cost more . I generally pay hourly.

So much to do this month
guardianship report due
Becca's passport expiring in May
Get Becca signed up for college program for next year and do SSI disability application for her, this would include Medicaid
plusa lot of general paperwork

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am

Mom how is becca doing in school?

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Supermama

Post by Supermama » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Good Morning. I have just caught with every post since the beginning of the month. Nice to see everyone popping in.
I was in Mexico for a week with DD. Got home Thursday. it was a wonderful trip with 2 12 hour excursion to Mayan ruins, Mayan villages and Cenotes. That was balanced out with pool and ocean time and sunshine, abundant food, a few drinks, maid services and fabulous staff every where. I read quite a bit. we took siestas. We met several great people for all over the world. Was lovely. This was a bucket list trip for DD. She is thrilled.
There was a major snow storm while we were gone. Everything shut down for a couple of days. We came home to rain, freezing rain and melting and refreezing and deep cold temps.
December was the biggest whirlwind month I have ever experiences, moving into reno, abundant work, Christmas, everything. I am struggling a bit to integrate back into life here. I truly do not like winter. And my life is very full. There is much to do. A list of things is filtering through. I work today. A light day of just cuts.

Much love and hugs to all of you <3

atlanticflyer

Post by atlanticflyer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm

glad you had a good trip away supermama! helps winter get over quicker

laurlind

Post by laurlind » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun supermama. A friend of mine is leaving for there next week. I would love to take Dd and go along with her.

Sounds busy mom.

See what comes of today. Everyone is home except ds 19 got a tiny snowfall to plow. Dh has had this last week off. Spent most of it in the shop. Thank goodness he put a little woodstove in the shop or it likely would have been a nothing week again from the severe cold. But just about ready to paint a desk he built for Dd for school. It is turning out great. Honestly he might have spent 100 on it . Could likely sell it for more than 500. He's actually built a lot of furniture. Let's see his desk. A book shelf. Our printer stand that I'm thinking I'll paint over to match her desk. His sound cabinet in the office. Next step bedroom furniture? . ? I can hope. He did have ideas of bed frames. That plus a bookshelf style head board would be nice. We've never had a bed frame. My dresser set is our original white melamine one when we first got married. Need something new.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Love the quote, AF. Thank you!

I am off to a good start today. I have read the Bible every day this year. :D
I mailed some cards today, and it feels good to be celebrating friendships.
When I took the dogs outside, I grabbed the pruning shears and worked a few minutes opening up a walking path. It was cold, but I have the winter gear, so not too bad.

DH asked for meat loaf tonight, sounds good to me. The other day I made Cinnamon Swirl Apple Pie, and it was really delicious. I couldn't get the top crust to stick together, but I just placed the rounds over the top of the filling. I'll make it again, and either use a bit of water to glue the dough together, or make it in muffin tins and use one roll up per pie. I also just used a traditional pie crust for the bottom, instead of using this one. That was easier than making two of these crusts.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/214413632243270428/

Off to do something else that should be done --> Poof <--