Happy November in the Coffee House

This is the home of the PWYC, Room by Room, Eddie's, Laundry - Come check us out!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Re: Happy November in the Coffee House

Postby Musicalcatlover » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 am

Yes, you might have to make an occasional second thing, but your hubby is right, no cafeteria!
CL has GREAT ideas! You can use a rice cooker if you have one for quinoa or any other grain, too.
WOW, CL, you've been BUSY! What kind of gf cookies do you take for church?!
Gma, GLAD you had a nice break!
Buterfly, glad you got away too!
Hi, AF and HopeCharm, Elise, Mom, and anyone I missed!
How IS ROO?!

Hopecharm,I'm a music teacher, and do private lessons for violin/viola/fiddle and play in our church group monthly. I used to do playing jobs and such professionally. Hubby and I have been married 35 years. I do my best to do routines, but both he and his sister who lives with us are disabled (SIL has lupus/thyroid/bipolar and such) and need a bit of care and help to get to doctor's appointments and such. I don't really call him DH any more as his traumatic brain injury from a work accident makes him a bit difficult. I'm taking SIL for the big upper Gi/colonoscopy/CAT scan tomorrow as she's been losing 2 lbs a week. :cry:
I've been doing a WHBH about every 10 days. NOT enough as now our niece+ DBF and her cat added to our son's cat, the extra rescue and our 2=5 CATS and 5 adults! For sanity, I quilt, read and keep trying to do Ti Chi. MAYBE this will be the week I start again. I'm reading my Bible online starting last week, so I got back to that finally.
Musicalcatlover

Postby Costumelady » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:14 am

flyer - the reason I plan is Prince cooks most weeknights. If I can tell him what to make he doesn't mind but he hates coming up with ideas. I put these up and he can choose what he feels like making. Your meals sound fine. If I don't plan, that is when we eat what we shouldn't.

MCL - It is an oatmeal chocolate chip/raisin cookie sweetened with Stevia. I use coconut oil, a stevia sweetener and a tsp of molasses for the brown sugar flavor and flax eggs (flax seed soaked in water) baking soda and baking powder and salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and raisins and stevia sweetened chocolate chips. So they are diabetic friendly, gf when made with gluten free oats, dairy free, sugar free apart from little molasses in whole batch. Kind of a granola cookie - they are very popular - I make 20 for each week to go with the sugar cookies. I call them free cookies - they are vegan too and pretty allergen friendly.

I smell like olive oil. I did an olive oil mask to help strengthen my hair and condition it. I was only allowed to rinse it and now it is to dry naturally but I am tired. Will have to sleep with a towel on my pillow. and I can just imagine what I will wake to.
Costumelady

Postby Gma » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:13 am

olive oil is ancient skin care! I just read that ancient "bathing" was slather with olive oil, wait (I don't konw how long) then scrape/rub it off. to get the shedding skin cells off. I know that I like to put a tsp-tbsp olive oil into my bathwater when my skin feels dry. I come out feeling all soft and nice, and it surely is cheaper than expensive products - and versatile for cooking as well!

menu planning, followed by grocery shopping with a list, is both time and money saving, but I never seem to get around tuit. Thanks for posting your plans, cl. I will "borrow" your ideas.

As soon as I changed clothes after getting home, I went to mother's and took down her autumn decoration, gathered them all together and put them away in their designated space in the garage. (YAAY ME!) And swept the leaves off of her patio. She was shopping with ddil, for my bday present, coming up in a little over a week. Mother's kitchen drain is sluggish, so I bought some drano. it is soaking now.
Full day, need to go to bed soon.
have a good week all!
Gma

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 am

gma looks like your dmom made out okay while you were gone

cl the olive oil treatment doesn't sound like fun

MCL looks like you still have your hands full!
atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 am

atlanticflyer

Postby mom-91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm

atlanticI'm like CL if I dont' plan I eat junk

tonight beef stew, those who want can add sour cream to make more of a goulash, salad, pineapple
Wednesday is pizza night for Becca and Hamburger for me, Jason has a rehearsal so eats out on his way there.
Thursday this week is shredded turkey breast with bbq sauce, and sweet potatoes- probably needs a frozen green veggie, like green beans

lauralind remember anything you can eat in a sandwich you can eat off a plate.
squash is our favorite carb for dinner, last night it was squash soup. we had bison on the side for a protein.

MCL hope you get some good answers for SIL

Gma sounds like a great weekend. you sure deserved a break.

a little intro, I am married to Jason and we have Becca who is 19 autistic and learning delayed who goes to a transition post high school program
mom-91

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

mom we don't buy junk to have around so nothing like that to snack on. tonight is cabbage roll and rice and veggies for me (leftovers) hubby has a steak
atlanticflyer

Postby laurlind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 am

Cabbage rolls sounds really good. I'm not sure if my big kids even got used to them. Dh likes. Not sure if that would settle well atm. I got Dd to cook some extra chicken for me this morning so there is some to go in salad or with rice for lunch. For supper tonight. Hmm. Good question. Depends if I can get potatoes before . I don't have enough. I have not sold my family on squash . Would have to be for me at this point and the only kind I have actually tried is spaghetti squash. That was good. I know I just have to start planning too. Have to find ds 19 and see if I can get potatoes before supper.

What's in the freezer. Chicken breasts. Roasts. Stew meat. Pork chops or pork roast I think.
laurlind

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 am

Most of what you named can go in a slow cooker laurlind. I am not fond of spaghetti squash prefer acorn
atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 am

Even summer squash can be chopped up and stir fried
atlanticflyer

Postby laurlind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:27 am

Making pork chops I will make rice and chowmein and then there is lots of left overs. Some sort of veggies in both dishes.

I'm not very good at buying different veggies if I do I use some and the rest gets too old. If I bought squash it might do that too. But I don't get to try it if it's not on hand.
laurlind

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 am

sounds like a good supper Laurlind
atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

atlanticflyer

Postby mom-91 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 pm

If anyone in your family likes sweet potatoes they will probably like baked winter squash of any variety

on that note I am off to the grocery store
mom-91

Postby laurlind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Trouble is no one likes sweet potato either. Except me. I have never bought any before. Going to have to try again.
laurlind

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

i am not a fan of sweet potato either laurlind, hubby loves it.
atlanticflyer

Postby laurlind » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 am

Hmm thought I had added another comment on there. I think I'm going to attempt to reduce pasta and spice and tomatoes and a bit and wait for my appointment. 2 days till my apt and see what the results are. I was reading up things the other day. There is a different kind of things to avoid for each different problem. I can't diagnose it on my own. I may know nothing more off these tests but at least that eliminates one thing. He wants to figure it out this time.
laurlind

Postby Gma » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 am

regarding sweet potatoes - the "real" ones baked taste a while lot better than the ones in the can. But do have to be baked long enough to be sice and soft.

home from 20 hrs at the cabin. had a township meeting regarding replacement/ total resurfacing of the road that goes by our place. Many of the homeowners were present and had good comments. yaay that the original installation of the road was the assessment and repairs come from the township budget - that is included in the statement of property taxes. yaay for no extra taxes! And wonderful few hours there. back home, take mother to dr appt 90 min away again tomorrow.
felt good to sleep in my own bed even just one night. Love the bed at the cabin! one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

just taking a few min at home to check mail, then back to mother's.
Gma

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

good luck on the appointment laurlind, hope you get some answers!

gma I didn't know you can get sweet potatoes in a can
atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 am

atlanticflyer

Postby Costumelady » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Good morning,

Sweet potatoes in a can are just vile - I would only use if I was making sweet potato pie or something. Personally I think they are best roasted. Cube or slice and use about 1 TBS of olive oil and toss and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. We also get baked sweet potato fries - make sure to read ingredients and get the ones without added stuff.

Laurlind - are you losing spice and tomatoes for a reason? Night shade veggies often cause arthritis symptoms but they are white potatoes (not sweet), any type of pepper, eggplant and tomatoes so dropping white potatoes out of our diet for this experiment might be warranted.

Gma - yeah you on the organized garage. Your mom's yard sounds like the house down from us - it is amazing light show with merry go rounds, Santa on the roof on a sled, nativity sets, deer, a train. They are a senior couple and love to decorate with the seasons too. Our favorite house one year was a house that was the wreck scene from Santa running into a house - it was hysterical. Had a sleigh hanging off an even with presents dangling all over the roof and just the butt end of Santa sticking out of the side of a window. Very creative. We usually put wreathes in our windows and candles and a lit nativity with a star and a light wash on the house. Very classic and understated. Tree in the window. Advent wreath on kitchen table and nativities all around the house (I collect them) I don't have a fireplace anymore for stockings to hang. The last 2 years I haven't done the outside decorations as we weren't home. This year I think I will do some of them. I put up the window wreaths and lit not decorated tree and about 3 nativities last year. It was lovely too.

Morning off but need to get my head around a list of things that I must do today.

For Work:
Nominate about 10 students for National Adult Education Honor Society deadline is today.
Make contact list with addresses of all of the students being invited to Graduation on dec. 13 and contact them this week.
Create a power point presentation by Friday of how I use WIN in my classroom - I meet with Martha next week on Tuesday (I am off so yes this is on my own time) and on the 13th of December that morning we will be doing a Webinar together for the whole state.
Figure out how to create accounts for students to take their Work Keys tests tomorrow.
Audio record the readiness test in a public file.

For Home - check bills for Friday, make sure all are in
Place Mary Kay order today
Order Milk today for tomorrow. (done)
Take box to UPS office
Before next Tuesday morning:
Clean off desk and shelves in office
Clean off horizontal surfaces in office
Wash sheets and blankets in guest room and tidy sewing stuff in there.
Declutter gold table
Declutter rest of main floor
Organize upstairs and put a few things away and move some furniture
Have Ryan organize his own room.
Plan a menu for week and go to Grocery Store
Sell chaise lounge in basement along with some other things this Friday.

Inlaws arrive on Wednesday.
Costumelady

Postby laurlind » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 pm

It's what seems to react most atm cl. Not arthritis pain at all my goal to find out is if it's just my ibs flaring or ulcer or something else with my stomach. I don't think it's acid reflux but I could be wrong. I had tacos one night a few weeks ago. It started before I was done eating. Mom's rib sauce did it. Salsa. I suppose it could be night shade stuff but it's not that kind of pain right now. I know whatever it is that I must start taking care of me better than I I have. That's the main part of flylady. Finally loving myself enough so I can few well enough to keep up with my life.
laurlind

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

hope you can get the right combination of diet laurlind

cl I don't decorate at all for Christmas except a small table top tree
atlanticflyer

Postby mom-91 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Finally loving myself enough so I can few well enough to keep up with my life. Lauralind what a great statement. I will abide by it today.
mom-91

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I agree we all need to take that to heart
atlanticflyer

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Threads