Action Plan for April Activities 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Action Plan for April Activities 2018

Post by Gma » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 am

Here we go again! Time to start another month!
Passover and Easter - both major religions include the sacredness of our bodies and our health in their teachings. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Treating our bodies well and maintaining our health honors our Creator.
Aerobic activity, strength training, walking, running, eating wisely -- everything we do here -- helps us to be in good shape for the purpose of living lives in service to others.
so lets have a great month

And by the end of the month, I hope to report that the temperature here is higher than +16F! (That is what it is here tonight, and it is not conducive to any action for me other than curl up under the covers and read a good book!) Outdoor activities give us vitamin D and help build strong bodies!

So go to it, INDOOR or OUT

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Re: Action Plan for April Activities 2018

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Gma ~ Thanks for the inspiring start to April!

Not sure yet on how to proceed with the trainer. I was hoping to get in earlier times with her. With all the snowbirds coming back, they've all disappeared. She does have 7 am open but I don't think my body can handle that. I've had problems with my back when working out aggressively that early. So.. I will think about and work out a plan.

:arrow: April Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Challenge Week 8
M:
T: gym
W:
T: gym/el/tread
F :el
S :
S :

Total: 9:10
February: 3:10
March: 6:00 - 2 days @ :30
April: :45 - 1 day @ :30
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edium

Post by edium » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Great start Gma ! I hope to be back after this next week + . Lifting boxes of books etc has really made me realize how my muscles have 'unmade' the last few years !

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks for the start Gma!
Smile.Lee 7 a.m. would not work for me either... Having said that, I'd done it before... even 6... :roll: It was peer pressure: DD wanted to go to a boot camp - so we went:)

edium - I hope you'll be back:)

Yoga has been really good to me this past week - so I'm going with it. It feels right
I did a class on Saturday and on Sunday.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi old friends and new faces! I've been active on another board for many years now, since I stopped participating here in 2013ish, I think. I had a little corner of the other forum where 2 women and I focused on health, but participation has declined. I'm going to try back here, as I think writing regularly is helpful for keeping me on track.

I'm 40, working mom with stay-at-home husband and 9 year old son. I've struggled with weight all my life. I'm currently maintaining 35 lbs of a 60 lb wt loss. Yes, I've regained almost 25 lbs since hitting my lowest. My ideal wt is BMI 23ish, currently just above 25, so very close to "normal and healthy". I would need to lose 13 lbs to be at my "ideal". I initially lost the wt with active participation in a 12 step group focused on problem eating and avoidance of sugar and cheese, since overeating these foods was the reason I was so heavy to begin with.

I currently eat whatever I want, but try to focus on lots of veggies to keep the nutrient density of my food lower.

For exercise, I go for a fast 2 mi walk 4 mornings a week with my neighbor and I do the occasional zumba class. I love to hike but rarely do it now, and I do work in the yard some.

My April plan:

Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week.
Food focus will be on having light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Tea is a good substitute for evening stress snacking, which is a problem for me.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 am

HI KimmyAnn - good to see you here - I remember you from a long time ago!
Best of luck with your goals!

Today: another Hot Yoga class:) - 7,300 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:57 am

good food today: celery sticks filled with hummus and raisins
activity: 8500+ steps, including 2.5 miles at the walking track.

tomorrow we are promised shovelling snow as our activity! Thanks, weatherperson! NOT :x

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 pm

KitKat, I'm glad you remember me. I was rock steady here for about 6 years, I think! (on and off). The prayers and concerns board saved me when I was told I would miscarry my son after losing a previous baby mid-term. Didn't happen, he's almost 10! Nicely done with the hot yoga! I love it but it's a little too pricey for me in my community.

MONDAY:
Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week. yes. Totals were not "losing" totals, but I did it.
Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Tea is good for after dinner/dessert. I made coconut sweet potato curry and rice and a side salad with peanuts. It was not as light as I hoped it would be. Dang! But it was still veggie-heavy, and that's good.

Gma, good work yesterday, and enjoy the snow! ;)

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:51 pm

TUESDAY:
Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week
. yes. Was under cal goal. Planning my meals ahead was helpful.
Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Tea is good for after dinner/dessert.Yes. Having this commitment to tea instead of seconds saved me from drowning my evening in excess food.

Other healthy things: Did my AM walk (not truly a power walk, but we do 2 miles with hills in 35 min); Had lunch with co-workers (fun); did a little gardening; and got to bed on time, with DS ready on time, without stress. I've moved our start getting ready for bed time up because he takes so long to pick up, brush hair, brush teeth, etc.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm

WEDNESDAY:
yes. Was under cal goal. Planning my meals ahead was helpful again.
Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Tea is good for after dinner/dessert.Yes. Made a veggie-heavy pasta sauce with zucchini noodles. Measured dessert.

My wt is a down a little today. BMI 25.1

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:23 am

Go KimmyAnn :)
We are lucky: I have a hot yoga studio right in my reg. gym. I know how expensive the private studios can be...
Wednesday: Spin
Today: Yin Yoga and Sculpt

Where did everyone else go?

Featherball

Post by Featherball » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am

Hi, I'm in - new. I already wanted to make the weekly excercise plege, which never happened and now I am trying to join and make me stay. BEing active in the forums always help me stay on track. I'm mother of three great children, DS5, DD3, and DDB, which is 9 months old. My DH is very supportive. I'm running my own business with my DB - all that makes my schedule crazy and routines are almost impossible to implement.

Due to a lot of stress, my eating habits are bad - I need to focus on healthy eaing, my goals are 2 l of water ( I count several fluids, water and sparkling water, juices, teas and such, soda, coke and coffea do not count. A fruity milkshake is counted as fruit'n'veggie), 5 portions/handful of fruit'n'veggie, and not missing breakfast, lunch, dinner. Often, I snack or smack down a bar of chocolate instead of proper lunch.....

I don't count steps (yet). I started on my running programm, where the level gets up each week and you are supposed to run 2-3 times a week. helian told me on the TDD, she did something similar. Unfortunately, my knee is acting up a bit and I'm concerned, how to deal with it. Today would be running.

Once a week, I go swimming in the local pool. My DH just gave me a new ticket for 10 admittance for easter <3. From "i can stay afloat" I just retaught myself the whole technique to a proper sporting style breaststroke and -kick, now I am focussing on making possibly many lanes within a set time, usually 30 or 45 min. After that, I try to learn to crawl, which at the moment looks and feels more like drowning than swimming. Thinking about buying a device called pullbouj which would help me manage this. Last swim was last night, I did 44 lanes of 25m in 45 min ( not my best time) and asked a fellow swimmer and borrowed his pullbouje, and it worked like a charm.....2 lanes with and 6 without practising crawling

Inspired by two girls from the TDD, I bought a used stationary bike at the local ads about two or three weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but would like to do 15-20min on days I cannot make running or pool. DH already did some 30 mins on it and liked it. Also, for this I don't need a babysitter.

Also not babysitter-related is bodyweight like plank, burpees, situps and such. Also harder to follow through, since you don't have to make plans with someone else, so I tend to put it off.... would love to do 10-15 min a day with changing excercises.

I tried yoga, but it doesn't fit my schedule and the one they teach is a special kind, which made me feel bad the next day, headachey, tired and unfocused. there are other classes at my local gym, which I would love to try and zumba on a irregular basis.

Allright. See you soon ! Excited to be here !

Bye
Feathers

edium

Post by edium » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Okay. Posting again.

Hi Kimmy Ann ! I remember your saga of being pregnant and moving back to the states, etc. Wonderful to see you again!

WTG Feathers ! You have alot on your plate already. Very astute of you to recognize the benefits of physical exertion to keep your brain sharp.

I have gotten rid of 4 pounds of body clutter this week just by bending, lifting and walking alot helping at the fundraiser book sale at the local library. I know my muscle tone has improved a bit too. If that's all it takes to do this, I have been way too sedentary for ... how long ? 2 years anyway !
Now that the proof is in front of me, I am more motivated to push it. I realize ( again ) that I am not good with structured exercises. I will make much more effort to just keep moving throughout the day. Maybe pick up the Ddog a couple times too. ( He weighs 75 or so pounds. ) :wink: :lol:

Hey Kitkat, I saw you were sick for awhile. Hope you are back to your glorious normal now !!!

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Kitkat, awesome you have hot yoga right at your gym. Do they teach in that weird scripted Bikram style, or is it more relaxed?

Feathers, those are solid, do-able goals. I was doing Zumba once a week for a few years, but I started to hate having to juggle the schedule and leave the house in the evening, so I've decided to take a break. I love Zumba though. I love to dance, and I love Latin music.

Edium Thanks for remembering my story! I got a job as a high school nurse back in 2010. I'm in my 8th school year, and it's still a wonderful job. Hard, complicated sometimes, but a perfect fit for my personality and skills. So, we've stayed in my home town of Eugene since that time. DS will be 10 in June. WTG on releasing that body clutter! 4 lbs is nothing to sneeze at! And I can relate to "I'm not good at structured exercises". I much prefer walking. dancing, skating etc to any other form of activity.

THURSDAY
Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week. yes. Was under cal goal. Planning my meals ahead was helpful again! I had a chance of plans in the evening, as my mom and dad invited me over. The foods they had were all higher density, so i had really small portions and then had big helpings of fruit salad to round out the meal and feel like I had EATEN. I really like to eat a big dinner, but it's fine if it's mostly produce. (See goal 2 below!)
Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Tea is good for after dinner/dessert.Yes. I had to accommodate heavier food at my parents, but I was really careful about portion size and didn't go for 2nds on anything but fruit.Measured dessert. Opted for decaf coffee instead of tea, that's what I was in the mood for. Did not go back for 2nds on dessert or other snack foods in the evening. I was tempted, but the coffee took the edge off.

helian

Post by helian » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi KimmyAnn! It's nice to have your positive presence here!
Be careful with your knees, Feathers. For whatever reason, my knees, joints, feet, etc. are pretty robust so I don't have any problems with running.
I only exercise that early in the morning, Smile, when I want to go for a jog and it's going to be a very hot day.
Woohoo! Congratulations edium!
You're always inspiring with your exercise class schedule, kitkat.
Did you really have to shovel snow this week, Gma? We got a dusting yesterday and this morning again. Nothing worth getting excited about.

Friends, I have really been struggling with getting in regular exercise this winter and spring. I've been working with a fairly fractured and frenetic schedule since January. Because I go to the park to jog along the river and I jog so slowly, I need about a 1.5 hour time block minimum to accomplish anything significant, and that sort of time block has been hard to find.

Also, the weather has been very uninspiring for jogging - cold, sometimes rainy, and sometimes insanely windy. Though I'm signed up for a local 5K run tomorrow morning, I am going to skip b/c it's going to be 22* F at the time of the start. This was supposed to be a fun run. :roll: I do run in temps down to about 13*F, but not for fun.

I DO really need to fit in more cross-training. I discovered yesterday that I can no longer sit cross-legged. :shock: I had this problem before. I think running tightens me up. Last spring, I joined a weekly yoga class and started rigorous stretches of my own after running, and lo and behold, after a couple months, I could sit cross-legged!! I am not doing yoga nor my rigorous stretches at all right now. :(

Positives: I have kept up with longer runs on Saturdays as I've been able, but longer now means 5 - 6 miles. Also, spring WILL come eventually. :)

This week:
X Th - 3 mile jog, flat
Sa. - 5 mile jog, flat

edium

Post by edium » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Planning meals ahead... Good for You, Kimmy ! And tracking calories ! :shock: That is something I have always found almost unendurable to do. I just track general food intake and how my clothes fit from week to week. :lol: Wonderful you found a job that you love and have been there for this long. May it continue until you decide to retire !

Hi Helian. Praying your need for Physical therapy is fixed soon ! I admire you for being able to jog at all. It started giving me a headache about 40 years ago. So does a trampoline these days . Is there such a thing as shaken adult syndrome that we do to ourselves ? :mrgreen:
When weather makes your miles miserable, maybe you could go to your local big box store and develop a race walking route through the aisles ? :wink:

Haven't seen Smilee for awhile on the boards again. Hope all is well and she is just overdosing on little H. 8) :lol:

Bet Gma is getting plenty of steps in this weekend.

Kitkat what classes have you been enjoying this week ?
Last edited by edium on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi, Helian! So glad this is a n active group! An irregular schedule sure does make exercise and health eating habits harder. I'd like to hear more about your running history. I have never been a runner, just could never catch the bug, though I did some very slow (slower than walking) jogging back when I first started to try to get healthier.My dad is a marathoner, and has run all my life. I used to feel pressure to learn to enjoy it, but realistically, I'm just not built to run. I'm a walker at heart, and a few hours of walking or hiking is something I would look forward to. For those that do enjoy running, it's a very efficient form of exercise with a great endorphin kick.

Hi Edium!It's so great that there is a good crew posting here. I don't like tracking calories, but it is a good reality check. I go on and off with it. I chat with 2 other women in a texting chat support group, and I decided to go back to tracking in solidarity with one woman who is really struggling to lose any wt. If it drives me nuts, I'll stop for a while. I'm not overweight today, but I will become so very quickly without vigilance.

FRIDAY

Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week. yes.
Was over cal goal. I had a heavier lunch yesterday, which is fine because I planned a lighter dinner. But then at the end of the night, I was HUNGRY and couldn't imagine just making tea and turning in. There were a couple factors that influenced this:
1. I planned salad for dinner. It was salad with canned corn, olives, and tuna, but salad none-the-less. I just really don't feel like I've eaten if all I've had is cold veggies. I think I need to accept that salad isn't a complete meal for me.
2. We had an unexpected sleep-over with DS9's friend. That combined with me wanting to socialize with a neighbor lead me to allow them to start a movie at 9pm. Then I was up till after the movie, of course, and so I was TIRED (I get up at 5:15) and hungry both.
I ended up having 2nds of both salad and dessert :( I should have reached out to someone and tried to go to bed with just tea. Late night eating will take me down. Also, the dessert was very low sugar, and that might have messed with my feeling of satisfaction as well. I usually have ice cream, but yesterday I made a low-sugar fruit pie.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Light planned dinner, but not satisfying, and ended up with seconds of both. I definitely do not want this to become a habit!

helian

Post by helian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 am

Successfully jogged 5 miles today! My pace is much slower than it used to be, but I felt good, especially after the 3 mile mark. And my last mile was my fastest. That was encouraging!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Isn't this nice? Look at you all moving!!! jehanne and Doodle are still missing... Gma must be extra busy...

Featherball good to see you here!
edium WTG on 4 lbs! What kind of dog do you have?
KimmyAnn - no Bikram for me :lol:
helian - WTG on your jog!

Yoga is the main thing right now for me:
Did yoga on Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Heading out for more:) It feels right, so I'm going with it.

edium

Post by edium » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Yesterday was so-so on the step count. But 3 hours of intensive bending packing and lifting boxes of books made me feel as though I had done some serious exercise. :roll:
Today is Rest, Renew, Refocus in the Lord day for me ! Not even going to count any activity I do. (If I do ) :wink:

Good job on helping other ladies as they help you with the whole maintain to conquer, Kimmy ! Like any of the threads ( because we are SHE's ) the activity ebbs and flows from time to time. I enjoy it too. Definitely helps with commitment!

Helian, WTG !!! Especially when the last mile is the best !!! 8)

From the little I know about Yoga, Kitkat, sounds right for a recuperating body. Ddog belongs to Dson29 and knows it. He is German Shepherd x Great Pyrenees. Seems a bit small but the 2 breeds are both easy to see in him.

Weather is supposed to be very good through this week so I will have alot more activity outside as well as be able to open windows and start moving dust and stuff otd ! Lots of potential for getting back in shape !

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 pm

WTG, Helian! I bet it feels great to be back out there after a break.

KitKat Isn't that Bikram weird? I can do it, it's not a deal breaker for me, but I was so surprised!

Edium, Enjoy your Sabbath! I a have tried to institute a Sabbath practice around here a few times, but without buyin and help, the prep for it is SO HARD! (It means I have to do all that stuff during the rest of the week!!!) I am totally sold on having a day set aside. Enjoy!

SATURDAY

yes. Was under cal goal, but the choices weren't great. Low on produce, high on meats and carbs.But it was a busy day, filled mostly with pleasant "elective" activities.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Definitely not. DS's friend (age 10) stayed the night. His mom does not cook. He is also Jewish by decent but his family don't do much to observe, which is kind of a bummer for me. (Although now I am an active, practicing Lutheran, I was in a serious relationship with a young man that was on track to becoming a Rabbi when we were in college. I was planning to convert and was active in the campus Jewish community.) When this little boy suggested that I make latkes for dinner like I have in the past, I could not say no! Had latkes with apple sauce and trimmings from a chocolate cake I made for mom my's birthday today. But the total amt was fine. I did go back for seconds on cake trimmings. :(

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Sunday

yes.Was over cal goal due to heavier eating in afternoon followed by heavier dinner with extended family.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Nope. I had a heavier dinner, as that was what was on offer at extended family dinner to celebrate DMom's 69th BD. Chicken enchiladas with sides of Spanish rice and refried beans. I had a second portion of refried beans, just a taste, really, but not part of the plan. Good to notice now. I also cleaned my son's plate of leftover enchilada. We all then had slices of cake, and I "cleaned up" some frosting that my husband had left. No second slice, at least!

The week in review: I ate fairly well all week, did my scheduled 8 miles of walking (2per day x 4 days) with my neighbor. I'm feeling unsteady starting the week out, as I feel very overbooked. I don't have a plan for dinners and feel unmotivated, but I'm not giving up. I'm going to make some plans and hope to report that things are going well.

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 pm

oh yes, I am in MN and I shovelled snow this weekend. Not much by our standards, but yes, it was more than a dusting! This time of year it is wet (which means heavy) and messy, and doesn't quite leave by itself. I didn't do MY driveway, so it is still white, but mother's is clear. And mine is very driveable! More in forecast, both snow and cold.
the rhyme I learned as a child was April showers bring may flowers - except that even as a child, I observed May showers bring June flowers!
I was amazed - my fitbit only said I did 8500 steps at eht home and garden show - I thought we walked waay more than that! we had fun no matter how many stpes we did or didn't walk!

I am doing quite a bit of sitting. My walking partner is in Germany, and I am sorting through ALL the stuff on my desk. I have tossed WAY much! and could stand to toss more. but it does look waay better, and since it is a secretary style, I may even get it closed up one of these days - must figure that out- it is also where my puter sits!

edium

Post by edium » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm

:D Enjoy your snow, Gma ! I'll stick with my dogwood and redbud blossoms. :mrgreen: ( But don't want to go any farther south). I think you had a respectable step count. I know there is a bit of stopping and standing with shows like the G & H. Makes them seem like more because your leg muscles etc are still registering being upright, but no steps are being counted. That would be my excuse. :mrgreen:

I think you are doing very well, Kimmy. As long as you stay aware of the off balance days and make up with 2 on track days for each off balance one...
Keep at it! :wink:

My step count was lower than I thought yesterday. My muscles claim many of them were up and down the stairs ( memory backs that up ), so I'm good with the count. :lol: Sunny and lovely today. I will try to get the in-house stuff done quickly so I can stat on the much needed yard control ! Nutrition control is on track though evolving.

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Howdy Action Planners! I'm still a bit discombobulated around here with my changed routines. Hoping to be more consistent this week. The 7-mile bike path that goes up to the next town opened up late last summer and I'm itching to get onto this year.

kit ~ I used to work out at 6:30 "back in the day" when I was home educating the kids. These days, my body stays a bit more injury free when I can do it later.
Hi, Kimmy! Welcome back! I remember you as well! Not sure if I participated in a forum with you but I do remember your "red dress."
So glad your son is thriving! What a blessing!
Good to see you here, Feather! Congrats on adding in the bike! I suspect the yoga you tried kicked up your lymph system which is a big expeller of toxins if done right. If you ever try it again, drink LOTS of water.
Congrats on the weight loss, edium! I've gained 2 the last couple of weeks. Need to get that off right away before it gets settled in and makes itself too comfy. :wink:
helian ~ can you fit in shorter runs when your schedule gets wacky? Something is better than nothing.
Gma ~ we had snow TWICE this weekend! Tuesday, we're supposed to get up to 75º. Go, figure. :lol:

:arrow: April Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Challenge Week 9
M:
T: gym/pp/wts/:15tread
W: :15 elliptical
T: gym/pp/:15 tread
F :
S : :15 elliptical - :60 brisk walk
S :

Total: 9:10
February: 3:10
March: 6:00 - 2 days @ :30
April: 2:45 - 2 days @ :30
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.