Marching forward in March

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Marching forward in March

Post by Gma » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Wow a new month is already upon us!
As spring arrives, maybe we can get out more and enjoy the sunshine, soak up some vitamin D.
And if anyone wants to go back to a new page every week, you are welcome to take it over.

Let's each set our goals for what we are capable of doing, and see if we can increase our fitness and strength bit by bit.
Taking good care of your body - it's the only one you get :lol:

10,000 steps in a day is a fitness goal, but if you are on ly doing 2000, you may want to set a goal of 5,000 by the end of the month! But if you run marathons, you will be training and eating well, doing way more than 10,000 steps in your day. This is about what is right for you.
Last edited by Gma on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitkat

Re: Marching forward in March

Post by kitkat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:20 am

THANKS for the timely start Gma!

Sculpt class for me with just over 6,000 steps

edium

Post by edium » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for a new month's thread Gma.

Are you okay Kit ? 6000 steps sounds low for you. :wink:

Second day of rain was mostly torrential and cool front moving in so I didn't get much movement. Really need to make up for it today! And the next 4 days are supposed to be good. Need the Vit D too ! :mrgreen:

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for the start, Gma! leffft.... leffft....Left! Right! Left! :mrgreen:

It IS gorgeous here today!

Still going with my elliptical streak and I'm almost at the end of 3 weeks. My legs still get tired just doing the 10 minutes but every day more muscles engage and I'm going much faster. I just plodded along in the beginning. Also been jumping down to do a plank right after the elliptical. I'm starting to get some ab muscle definition on the edges of the obliques! woohoo! Pretty sure it's been a bazillion years since I've seen any of that!

:arrow: March Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Week 3 :arrow: 7/:10 elliptical + 2/:10 cardio other & 7/:01 plank
M • T • W • Th • F .• S • S

In addition...
M •
T • gym: pp/tr/wts -- home: 40 sq - 8 pu
W •
Th •
F • Gym

March = 0:00 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = _/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

February = 3:10 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 7 days = 7/:10 elliptical = 1:10 hrs
Week 2 :arrow: 7 days = 7/:10 ellipitcal + 1/:10 treadmill walk/jog = 1:20 hrs
Week 3 :arrow: 3 days = 3/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill = 40 min.
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 am

I'm OK edium thank you for asking - in the winter I don't get good numbers unless I'm at a mall or the weather permits outdoor walking. Theoretically, I could do the track at the community centre... Rarely happens:)
We just had snow again ... Enjoy the sunshine!
Smile.Lee - obliques??? I'm jealous!

Today: no formal exercise (was helping DD after her procedure) - got over 9,000 steps (day is not over)

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 am

wow, smile*lee EVERYTHING you do, you do with such enthusiasm and vigor! And you are so successful!

kitkat, I am happy you are feeling well. Community center walking is best when done with a partner for conversation. It gets to be kind of boring walking in an oval, with plain beige / tan walls. I am oging to suggest to someone that a nice mural of the city would be fun on the walls.

edium, you can be outside walking? Wonderful for fresh air and Sunshine!

edium

Post by edium » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Got my combat boots on and ready for the sweet sound of cadence being "sung" in the morning air ! Thanks for that Smilee . :lol: :lol:

You obviously picked a good title Gma ! Sun is the only requisite for me to be able to walk outside. I used to walk in non torrential rain, but I have no patience for the nonbreathable rain suit necessary to stay dry in cold winter rain. Our community hall is not large enough to walk in , nor is it open all the time.

Kit, good to hear you are okay and even caring for another ( though sorry your Dd needed a procedure ). That certainly can pick up the step count !

Figured out a good course amongst the clutter waiting attention in my house. Steps just over 5000. Need to do that twice per day and I'll be good for now. :wink: Next ... get back to planking and YouTube exercises again !! :mrgreen:

helian

Post by helian » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you Gma!
Hi kitkat, Smile, and edium!

My schedule is calming down and the weather is cooperating a bit better, so I've been able to be more active this past week. I'm hoping to jog 6 miles this morning.

Yesterday, WW said my weight was up by about 3.5 pounds since I last went, which was in December. It is up over all about 6? or 7 pounds since Tgiving. I need to start working that extra weight off. I'm still in a healthy zone but barely -- and I'm sure not where I want to be.

X M - Jog 1.5 miles
X T - Jog 4 miles
X W - Physical therapy and Jog 2.5 miles -- up and down the hill (once)
Sa. - Jog 6 miles

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for starting us off Gma.

Sounds like we are all moving :D

I have kept up with my half marathon training, my first half is at the end of March. The weather has made training a challenge at times. I’m also swimming twice a week. I get up horribly early (I’m not a morning person) to meet a friend and get it done.

I have started trying to meditate, I am hoping it will help me to quiet my mind a bit and help when the grief hits. It’s very hard for me but it may well help with the insomnia and so it is worth persevering!

Today’s exercise will be an hours walk with the dog, I ran on the treadmill yesterday ( it just doesn’t make me happy like running outside does :lol: ) because of the snow and wind and will do my long run Sunday.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

good to see you, Helian, and DoodleDoo!
Running that steady and fast goes into my brain but does not come out in my body :shock:

Our community walking path is above a basketball court, around the perimeter. The sign says it takes 13.5 laps to make a mile. It may be boring, but the weather there is always "just right" Not too cold, not too hot - kind of like Goldilocks and the 3 bears! And never too wet, no rain or snow, and no bugs (mosquitoes & gnats are prevalent here in summer) either :lol: Does that make me a wimpy walker? At least I get out to do it, and once in a while I run half or a full oval. It is open until 10pm on weeknights and 8 on Sat and Sun. Summer hours are shorter - they expect us to walk outside I guess.
keep going, girls :D

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 am

Thank you Ladies:)
So good to see you all at it. Doodle and helian are back. Nice!
Doodle - meditation, yoga breathing, are all worth a try. I'd try anything but sleeping pills. I've seen what those can do...
We'll be cheering for you at the end of March.
helian - I usually call those few lbs winter weight. :) They should disappear when we get a little more active in the spring. (Right?)
gma I agree ; a walking partner can make a huge difference.
edium we want to hear all about those planks and steps!

I managed to drop 2 lbs while on detox. Like helian, I have a healthy weight but I'm about 5 lbs over the weight I like for myself.
It's not something I'd worry about - as long as I have energy.
Today: Hot Yoga

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 am

Hey ya! I've made it 3 full weeks doing my little bits of daily :10 cardio. My legs and core were finally nice to me this morning and enjoyed most of the elliptical session. I've also been getting in more planks. The plan is to get one in every day this week. Also been getting in more squats and push ups. I think I'm finally starting to feel a bit normal.

kit ~ wtg on the 2# loss!
Thanks, Gma! A mural sounds amazing! Great idea!
helian ~ your jog count is impressive!
hey doodle! Getting up early AND swimming? oo... you are brave!

• planks

Week 4 :arrow: 7/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 cardio other & 7/:01 plank
M pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T
W • pp • wts • :10 tread
T
F • pp • wts. • :10 tread
S
S

March = 0:50 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = _4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 2 :arrow: 7 days = 1/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

February = 17 days = 3:10 of cardio
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:26 am

I gave up on the splits book! It hurt too much! a gentler, slower approach would be appropriate!
Sedentary day - I went to the track and did >2 miles, but still am only at 6500 for the day. Maybe I will do one of my dvd's a little later.

I put smoe gel insoles into my shoes - cheaper than buying new shoes, as I am approching them wearing out for inner cushioning.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 am

Hey, y"all!! :D Everyone is so active!! Just as I saw when I went to town a few days ago... It seemed like EVERYONE was outside, landscaping, burning leaves, buying plants and fertilizer~~ celebrating SPRING! Then I saw on the news that some northern states were getting a nasty blast of wind and snow... and it is getting colder here, too. Seems those Irish elves are playing pranks on us! :lol: :lol:

Gma, I liked the poetic sound of what you wrote:
Let's each set our goals for what we are capable of doing, and see if we can increase our fitness and strength bit by bit.
Taking good care of your body - it's the only one you get
I thought we could put a little more rhythm to it, and make it a motto:

Let's do what we can
And try to increase
Our fitness and strength
Bit by bit.

Taking good care
Of the body we have
Knowing it's the only
One we git.

:mrgreen:

I'm still trying to finish decluttering, so not getting on here much. Enjoyed a nice walk today, although the wind was picking up. It was in a very special place: Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge. https://www.turpentinecreek.org/
It's a sanctuary for wild animals (lions, tigers, bears, etc) that have been rescued from cruel or no longer viable conditions. They are still in cages, but have more opportunities to roam and play, and they are well fed, loved, and cared for. Our guide described some of the hard work they have to do for the animals, and said she has lost 30 pounds since she came there. A few of us thought perhaps we need her job, lol! :lol:

Today: T-tapp, about 6000 steps

edium

Post by edium » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Must be spring with all the activity springing up here ! 8)

Jehanne, I had no clue about the Turpentine Creek Refuge ! My Dsis has been trying to get me to come out and see Crystal Bridges during some exhibit that is there. Trying to figure out how to do that. Now I want to go to TCWR too! WTG with your T-tapp and steps.
And you are right with Gma's words set in that rhythm. Would make a great marching cadence or song. :mrgreen:

How many steps does it take you to do a mile, Gma ? Sorry about your splits book. A friend had lent me a book on Beginning Ballet moves and positions for balance an flexibility. Yeah... between needing to have 3' x 5' mirror as a minimum and a bar in front of it ( no space in my house ! ) and stressed that the position of body had to be correct and a constant consideration ( wasn't even sure what the exact correct positions should look/feel like ).... didn't work for me though I would have loved for it to !

WTG, Smilee !!! Sure sounds like you got this ! Must be great to know what works for you and just do it !

:lol: KitKat ! Not sure there is much to hear from me, but sincere thanks for the accountability !! I will get right on that !! :oops:
Hot Yoga sounds wonderful ! Can I do that in my Living Room ? :wink:

Doodle, Wow ! YGG !!!

Helian, it is common for a slight weight gain around the Holidays. That's my excuse because it is universal and unquestioned. :lol: Your jogging will probably have that back down in no time. :wink: How's the PT going ?

I have dug out my old rain slicker and pants. So I will have no excuse for not going out even in the rain. Temps are warm enough to not be a problem. So I can continue, and even do a better job perhaps as digging in the rain is easier than dry ground ! And I am ordering gravel to recoat the driveway to be delivered this week so that will be fun to accomplish once it arrives. :roll: :mrgreen:
That's my "plan" ....

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Hey ya! I broke my streak yesterday. I just did not feel like doing anything yesterday - so I went with it. I did notice that I was particularly tuckered out after Monday's workout, so maybe my body was just trying to tell me to take a break. Up and ready to get at it again today.

jeanne ~ you live in Arkansas? My sister lives further south but works up at the college in Harrison - not too far from the refuge - as the crow flies. :wink:
edium ~ you're braver than me - getting out in the rain. I don't mind getting out in summer rain - but when it's chilly - not so much. You get a star. 8) :lol:

• planks

Week 4 :arrow: 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 cardio other & 6/:01 plank
T • nada
W pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T
F • pp • wts. • :10 tread
S
S

March = 0:50 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = 4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 2 :arrow: 7 days = 1/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

Last edited by Smile*Lee on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

helian

Post by helian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:23 pm

I was going to run yesterday, but I felt lazy and tired of keeping up a schedule with one thing on top of another. I wanted some room to breathe. And read my book club book. :) But, that probably means I can only run once before the weekend run since it's supposed to snow most of the day Thursday. .

Current exercise plan:
W - jog 4 miles
Th. - jog if I can. Otherwise, go to the gym and move my body for 40 or so minutes.
F - Physical therapy
Sat. - jog 6 miles again

Every day: PT shoulder exercises.

Try to do back exercises a few times a week as well.

Should do my more rigorous post-running stretches, but that has fallen by the wayside with the PT exercises.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Reading a book is edium's favorite exercise. :wink: 8) :lol:

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:05 pm

cuop later - going to tell fitbit I have been weightlifting: we had a big snow dump, I have been shovelling, and living at mother's house cz she needs me there.

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 am

over 9,000 two days in a row!

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:51 am

helian ~ Sometimes, just reading your schedule makes me tired. Your break was well deserved.

WTG, Gma!

Got all my Wednesday exercise to-dos in, except that I had to do my elliptical in the afternoon because I didn't get up early enough to get it in before heading to the gym. I definitely like getting it done in the morning. With scheduling my workouts earlier, I'm going to have to be a bit more time conscious.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 am

Quick CI (it's late:))
Tuesday: Pilates
Wednesday: Spin

edium

Post by edium » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Well, Smilee, it didn't rain much after all and it wasn't really chilly. Today however it is snowing. I had to go stand on the porch and try to catch a flake before I would believe it was snow not some kind of tree pollen or blossom blowing in the breeze. :roll: Too chilly to work outside for fun or exercise ! :wink:
As for reading... yup, stretch the arthritic knuckles holding that tablet ! 8) :lol:

WTG Gma with the consecutive days of steppin' up ! And weight lifting ... do you have a gym or good weight set for when there is no snow to shovel ? :mrgreen:

Helian, your schedule makes me brain dead. :oops: :wink:

Hooray KitKat ! Dependable... love your example and dream of actually being able to build such one day. :shock: 8)

So I will be doing some more in depth housework and 'walking my circuit' since I am a bit house bound today. I do also have to go to the groc so a few laps of the perimeter there are always good. Sometimes there is even someone willing to do a cart-as-chariot race down an empty aisle with me. :mrgreen:

Love the endorphin activity with increased daily movement and purposeful muscle tension !

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Gave myself a big pat on the back. I was tired this morning at the gym and I wasn't going to do the treadmill. As I went to get my stuff to head out, I thought - it's only 10 minutes, so I took my franny over there and did it! :mrgreen: My extra 10s are done for the week, so I just need to get my elliptical in this weekend.

edium ~ I tease you but you're one of my book-reading heroes. I read a lot of newspaper, computer, magazine stuff. I should read more REAL books. AND yes! I want more endorphins! :mrgreen:

wtg kit! My "classes" hero. :mrgreen:

• planks

Week 4 :arrow: 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 cardio other & 6/:01 plank
T ✖︎
W pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T squats
F pp • wts. • :10 tread
S
S

March = 2:20 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = 4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 2 :arrow: 6 days = 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

Last edited by Smile*Lee on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 am

Oh, edium and Smile.Lee thank you:)
Reading is my fav. pastime... What do you like to read edium? -
Progress, Smile.Lee - are you feeling better?

Today: Walked to gym - Spin class - walked back:) Total Steps: 11,000