LET'S...

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kitkat

LET'S...

Post by kitkat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 am

KEEP MOVING!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :mrgreen:
MOTIVATION IS PROBABLY AT ITS HIGHEST - LETS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!

Gma

Re: LET'S...

Post by Gma » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 am

do we want to have weekly threads again? Or monthly ones? Should we jump and jive in january? Or should this LET'S thread be our exercise reporting and cheering for each other ?

I'd like to be motivated to do an hour of exercise right now, but it's after 0100 and i think I should go to bed.!

edium

Post by edium » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

If I don't take advantage with accountability this year KitKat, it may be too late by next year !

Yes, Gma... 1am is a bit late for an exercise routine unless you are on the nightshift. :lol:

Starting small and gaining it back!
plank up to :60 easy by Fri
steps over 5000 daily no matter the weather. ( I'm starting with what I know I can easily achieve so I feel good about it. :wink: )

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

edium, I think you can do 5000 in the house just by (boring) extra walking the hall beyond regular daily steps.

:D GO ME! I did the bone builders work out from the class I attend AT HOME today since they didn't meet yesterday. The Monday morning confilict with my weekly study group meeting at church, so I regularly attned only 1x a week. I bought weights I need and now have done it at home - probably not as effective, probably missed a few, but did what I could remember.
Now for teh plank! - I am working on the knee-plank instead of the full plank so I can feel successful.

don't konw how many steps cz my fitbit was in teh pocket of my "bed jacket turned into short robe" which was laying on my bed for a couple days while I fretted over "WHERE DID I IPUT IT!!!?" :lol: I don't usppose that has happened to any of you :wink:

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 pm

I did "lose" my iPhone in the fridge veggie drawer for 2 weeks. :shock: :roll: :lol:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 am

edium
! I have not seen you ... forever! How have you been? Welcome! Enjoy our little thread!

Gma - I don't think it matters what we call it - as long as we show up:)

SmileLee - veggie drawer? :lol:

OK.
so, I was sick for a great part of December, then holidays happened, etc. etc...
I'm back.
I intend to do some form of workout EVERY day. It might be a class, might be a video, some time on the bike, or on the treadmill... or, even the mat. I also intend to return to PLANK. It was good while it lasted:)

Today: Pilates class plus 6,600 steps.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 am

Yeah... I was in a big hurry to do the kitchen clean up. Evidently, I scooped up the phone with the veggies when I put them in the veggie drawer. :lol: It was my first iPhone - the original. I was a basket case for a few days. Good thing I didn't scoop it up into the trash!

Oh -- I DID go to the gym today -- :30 power plate and :15 incline walk & jog on the treadmill.

helian

Post by helian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 pm

Now that I'm doing PT for my shoulder, I think I'll count those sessions as exercise for my upper body!

With my new work schedule starting tomorrow, it's going to be very difficult to exercise on MWF. . . .

Here's a rough plan:
X M - Be utterly lazy after all the celebrations and busyness of the holiday :)
X T - PT; gym - treadmill, jogged 3 miles. I kept it SLOWER than usual b/c on a treadmill, I tend to have the sense that I could lose my balance. LOL!
W - Jog outside, probably only 3 miles. If I don't feel comfortable doing this, I'll go to the gym and do something cardio; PT exercises
Th - PT; gym - elliptical?
Sa - gym (cardio + weights) or jog outside

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 pm

absolutely helian that is exercise for upper body!

funmumlu

Post by funmumlu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:30 am

Well hello!

Today I did no exercise!

I can see there is room for very impressive progress if I come back tomorrow! :lol:

(Although, looking back, I see that I did walk to the coffee shop and back (after a couple of hours strenuous chatting), drove to town to buy a printer (no more haranguing from DH when his stops working! !) and pushed quite a hefty DM round the supermarket in a wheelchair, then cooked a meal for and even ... washed up!!! . Not feeling so smug and indolent and idle now!!)

Well done so far, all! I had forgotten about planks.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 am

Oh, Smile.Lee - today, I found my mittens that I was using yesterday and really wanted to use today among my clean clothes - in the dryer! (I was in a huge hurry to load them - hence the mistake)
funmumlu - it's been ... YEARS! Nice to see you here:)
helian - it all counts!

I did my back exercises today (on the ball - while watching a game) - nothing else, I'm afraid, unless we count the midday mini walk with doggie...

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 am

Lu! Glad you're here!!!

haha, kit! We are so "SHE!" :lol:

If helian gets to count her PT, can I count massages? :shock: :lol:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:59 am

Smile*Lee wrote:[

Of course, as long as you are giving them :mrgreen:

edium

Post by edium » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi Kit ! I've been hiding out at Cleansweepers thread. :wink:

I haven't kept up with the intentional part of the exercise. Dsis decided to stay through tomorrow. And it has been COLD so we have been mostly staying at the house exercising our jaws. :mrgreen:

Did plank for :50 switching between elbow and arm extended to demonstrate for her and have been increasing steps daily running up and down stairs to get things she needs. ( Or I remember I have to give her. :roll: )

Mentally I am pulling at the bit to get on with the excitement of first of the year renewal of intention.

So tomorrow I should have a good report as being on target of my week's goal. :D Purposely set low to achieve ! :oops:

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:46 pm

kitkat wrote:
Smile*Lee wrote:[

Of course, as long as you are giving them :mrgreen:
Oh boooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 am

Today:
Sculpt class:)
2,5 min. plank
10 min. on treadmill
7,700 steps (all day)

edium - just keep posting: it works!

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:46 am

accomplished 2 minute plank - but resting on elbows and knees. I have a long way to go!

I had a return to Barnes & Noble. a Christmas gift that I knew I was never going to read. They were kind enough to give me store credit. And I bought a book on stretching (my horribly inflexible body) that promises I may be able to do the splits in just one month. I am going to give it a try. I started tonight - it only takes about 5 minutes.
I'll see how it goes and let you know!

and will keep working on the plank as well plus the 10k steps goal.

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 am

I just googled plank pose to check on proper technique. I found this cautionary note:

There is definitely no one rule fits all women when it comes to who should and shouldn’t do Plank exercises. The vital thing to remember is that the core exercises you choose should match the capacity of your pelvic floor to withstand. If you are unsure about the capacity or strength of your pelvic floor muscles, then it can be helpful to see a pelvic floor physiotherapist who can assess your pelvic floor and advise you accordingly.

Avoid Forward Plank Exercise if your pelvic floor is at risk with:

Weak pelvic floor muscles
Pelvic floor symptoms during or after Forward Plank exercise
History of prolapse surgery, especially recurrent prolapse surgery
Pelvic pain and/or pelvic floor muscle tension
Pregnancy and early postpartum
Plank exercises can also have potential to place increased strain on the shoulders and lower back. Women who suffer shoulder or lower back pain or dysfunction may worsen these conditions with unmodified Forward Plank exercise.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Good info on the planks! I stopped doing the one-arm planks because of way too much pressure on my weak shoulder. It was throwing me way off on form. Been building strength with just the regular ones.

Going to the gym this morning -- power plate and :15 incline walk and jog.

helian

Post by helian » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

LOL Smile and kitkat! :) My PT involves a lot of exercises for my shoulder and back, enough that muscles are burning, so I'm figuring it could count. My shoulder is usually tired when I leave PT. But it's really increasing my range of motion!!

That's good info, Gma. I think I shouldn't do planks until my shoulder is completely sorted out.

Well, other than a trip to the gym on Tuesday and PT, I have NOT exercised this week at all, mainly b/c of my schedule. I need to figure that out. We still have 2 of our kids at home, down from 3 kids + dd19's friend, but still more than just dh and me. They create a lot of extra busyness. Dd22 is always having friends or groups of people over, so our house feels like grand central station.

I'm hoping to either get to the gym today or brave the icy air and go for a short jog in the park, no more than 30 minutes, I think. Temps should get up to 10* which I think I can manage.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 am

got to walking track - did it on my own without walking partner. did 2 miles, and ran one lap 3 separate times. Came home and did "split stretch" activity.
(now on to decluttering my house)

edium

Post by edium » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Almost made my goal Fri.
Starting again tomorrow!

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 am

did not make 10k yesterday but am over 11k today - and 7000 of that was outside with 1.5 pounds of winter boots on each foot. trudging through not very deep snow taking winter decorations down. I was below 10k so went to walking track to finish.

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 pm

uffdah! I am tired today. having a difficult time getting motivated. But need to make use of fine weather for outdoor ectivities. So guess I just need to put on my big girl panties and get moving!
goals for today:
only 5,000 steps. it will be a restful day
and do the stretching exercises from the splits in 4 weeks book.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am

I must keep posting - only way to stay on top of things:)

Sunday: Yin Yoga class and a whole day of working on reorganizing, cleaning my laundry room, doing and putting away laundry. Lots of stairs. Over 5,000 steps without leaving the house. (other than yoga class)
Monday: A very sore body:) An outing with dbaby, carried her while she was asleep from car to dr... (Baby is a year and a half old:) )
No formal exercise - 5,000 steps