Grateful that we can exercise in November 2017

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Grateful that we can exercise in November 2017

Post by Gma » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBR5MZmEsY tai chi
Last edited by Gma on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gma

Re: Grateful that we can exercise in November 2017

Post by Gma » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:50 pm

I don't know if we want to continue with a weekly plan or have a monthly roster so no one has to start it often. So I thought I would title it for a month and if someone wants to go back to weekly, you can start it again next week, or whenever! This is not about stressing us out, correct?
And if anyone knows how to put in cute pictures of exercising - feel free!

Sunday Monday, made 7500
Tuesday 11,000
Wednesday, Thursday 7500
Goal today is at least 10K I will get my steps in today working in Mother's garages, trying to make room for my car in garage A as I sort and put things away into garage B, hopefully in an organized fashion. And go for a walk later.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 am

Hi, Gma! Thanks for the start! :D
Doing a month-long thread instead of weekly might be a great idea. Especially with holidays quickly approaching!

You are doing great-- looks like you are right back on track.

I've been struggling to get back on track... but this week has been a little better.

Mon: T-tapp, 6000 steps
Tues: 6500 steps
Wed: Yoga, 6000
Thurs: Some heavy lifting, 7000
Fri: Got to spend some time at a park in the nicer weather today. Made my 10K! :mrgreen:

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:39 am

PS-- My DDyounger has devised a point system for cleaning her house. I've modified it to give myself points for exercising, drinking water, eating veggies, etc. Seems to be helping! :D :wink: 8)

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 am

worked in garages at mother's house. 9000 steps just carrying things from side A to side B and placing them. I think I should get extra points because it was only 38 degrees F. I was cold even with plenty of layers and lots of activity. and 4000 with walking partner, so 13,000 for the day! and early to bed!
I would love to see / find out more about/ your dd point system for her house as well as yours for healthy habits!
And what are the rewards for achieving points? besides a clean house and healthy body?

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:46 pm

*waving to all! Sneaking in at the end of the week..... :mrgreen:

Trying to get back in the swing of things here after being gone on vacation. Made it to the gym twice to do powerplate. And did a few rounds of squats and push-ups this week. Does gardening count? :mrgreen: Spent an afternoon cleaning out front yard garden beds. Will probably do the backyard today. Hope to be a little more detailed next week. :)

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 pm

SmileLee, gardening definitely counts! :mrgreen: Cleaning out my garden beds is still on my to-do list! Maybe I will get to it today.

Gma, my daughter's point system is very simple. With three little ones, she just counts how many things she picks up and puts away in a day. Some days, she gets 600 points!! :shock: After having a couple of my grandkids here for a week, I'm not really surprised. :wink: I don't think she has rewards, but she competes with her SisIL and MIL.

I used to have inspection cards for my kids' bedrooms. There were 5 things on it (bed, floor, dressers, etc). If it passed, they'd get a point per item. I would give a prize (like a candy bar) each day to the one with the most points. It fell by the wayside after awhile, bc candy wasn't that good for them, and it was hard to come up with other things.
So anyway, I got the idea to do somewhat the same for myself. I have a 3x5 card for each room, with 5 items to check off. Realizing that in spite of feeling like I work all day, if I don't get DONE, it doesn't count. So, at the end of the week, I add up my points, and try to get more each week. It has helped me be more aware of what others see.

On the health side, I have a calendar printed from my computer, with daily goals on it. Giving myself points for walking, drinking water, eating right, and any extra exercise. If I get over 20 points in a week, I award myself $20 to buy something I want but wouldn't ordinarily spend for. Like, I've been decluttering some odd dishes, but have also found that I need a few pieces to make up my set. Or I could use some lovely new underwear... :wink:

Gma

Post by Gma » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:33 am

jehanne, what a great system! I have done a counting system myself once in a while, and notice that it takes pu/pa or toss about 100 items in a day makes a good dent. But 600! WOW she definitely earned her stars those days!

didn't get as many steps in today, nor as much done. but am over 7k and heading to menards so may get the rest in there.
welcome back smile*lee gardening definitely counts! I hope you had a wonderful vacation

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 am

I have just 1060 to go to make 10k today.
walking track, garage project, walked the dog.
brr it's cold outside

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 am

Gma, I have realized the truth of what you said-- that you had found that walking each day helped you to get more done. I have been slacking off the last few weeks, and I have been getting slower and slower. I can't believe how long it takes me to do some things. So I am reforming!! :mrgreen:

Today, I got up early (the time change helped :lol: ) to go walking. Later, I t-tapped, and this evening, I spent about half an hour cleaning out a flower bed and planting a few turnips. I sure don't want decay to creep its way insidiously into my body and take over. So I am booting it out!! :D

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 am

Nice going Ladies - just peeking in and saying Hi:)

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 am

Hi, Kitkat!! :D 8)

helian

Post by helian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:39 pm

It's so nice to not have the pressure of training for a run!! I'm toying with the idea of trying another half marathon in June, but I'll see how I do over the winter.

Anyhow, Plan for this week:
X M. - jog 4.5 miles flat
T - jog the arb hill x2 (3.6 miles)
W - yoga class
Th. - easy jog, 3 or 4 miles flat
F - REST DAY
Sa. - Jog 8? miles; I'd go for a longer run but I didn't achieve this length last weekend. I think I'll just ease back into things.
Sun. - REST DAY

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 am

helian, even with out training, you are doing very active.

jehanne! yaay for geting back on track!

(peek-a-boo kitkat)

smile*lee, what are you up to?

I sort of took a day off. Took Mother to dr appt for a procedure. 160 mile round trip. plus time to stop for soup/sandwich after procedure.
long day. I am tired. bed early sounds good.
won't quite make 5000 today.
more tomorrow I expect.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 am

Hi Gma,SmileLee, helian, jehanne
So good to see you all working at it:)

I did not disappear:) - still working out:
Monday: Hot Yoga
Tuesday: Pilates and Spin
Wednesday: Row
Thursday: Sculpt
Step count is pretty erratic: 52,000 in the past 7 days.
We are getting winter weather... so it's not likely to improve any time soon :mrgreen:

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 am

winter here too. brrrr cold. 19F

I just checked my fitbit - it's after midnight, but it said before midnight I was >8900. I don't even know what I did to get that many.

helian

Post by helian » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 pm

WTG with the variety of classes and activities, kitkat. Maybe I'll look into various barre classes as the weather gets colder and colder. :shock:
WTG with all your steps, Gma! Will the cold keep you indoors more? I'm thinking you're in a state that has very cold winters. . . .

Well, I'm trying to keep up with exercise, but it's not looking ideal. My schedule this week wasn't very helpful. I subbed at work on a Wednesday, thus I couldn't attend the yoga class. Then, book club Wed. night pushed some payroll tasks to Thursday morning, and more payroll tasks (end of the session so a busy time) kept me at work late enough on Friday that I wasn't sure I could get a run in before the sun set. Therefore, I couldn't run on Thursday (Plan A) or Friday (Plan B). And I scaled back and just did 7 miles today after the running fiasco last weekend.

My pace and stamina seem to still be suffering, but I was able to accomplish 7 miles today. In the cold, yes, but that's not a great stressor for me. Until I get home -- and then I crave a warm shower.

The Reality of my Plan:
M - jogged 4.5 miles
T - jogged the arb hill x2 (3.6 miles)
Sa. - jogged 7 miles

Hmm... Written down, that sure looks much more piddly than my original. LOL! Ah, well. At least I'm moving. Maybe next week will be better. As the temps get colder, I might make my longer runs shorter.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 am

helian - that is impressive for this time of the year!!!
Gma - you are ALWAYS moving - we all know

Where is Doodle ? Her step counts are always inspiring...

Friday: Spin class - 9,000 steps
Saturday - no exercise

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 am

yes, helian, we have cold winters. but my city has an indoor track conveniently located, open until 10pm Mon thru Fri. So that is one place to get steps. And I do konw how to bundle up, but don't always like to.
I still have a few hundred steps left to make 10k today. but I am close, and close enough to want to make that magic number.

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm here KitKat! A quick check in as I have to get to work.

I did my last long run last Thursday. It wasn't pretty or fast but it's done. Now I taper and try not to injure myself like last year (I ended up in a boot 5 days before the marathon last year and couldn't run).

Monday 11,000 steps
Tuesday 4 mile run - 17,000 steps.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Good to see you Doodle!
Yes, those are good numbers! - are you getting ready for a race? When?

Gma we have a track at the community centre, too... I don't take advantage of it often enough... :oops:
MOnday; 10,000 steps - Hot Yoga
Tuesday: 8,700 steps, Spin and Pilates

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 am

If at first you don't succeed......
Going to make another stab at posting progress.

M - plank
T - plank
W -
gym: power plate, weight machines, :20 treadmill cross country walk
home: plank, face, squats, push ups

I keep looking at the classes at the gym, but can't seem to make the jump. They have an impressive variety from morning till night.

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 am

kitkat, it seems you get plenty of steps in without using the track!

Monday I did 10k+
Tuesday >12k working outside at cabin
today - travelled 80 min each way to dr visit for mother, forgot to wear fitbit until later in day. Did city walking track. FItbit reads 7800, so I must be close to 10k guessing on the steps not counted.

Exercise class tomorrow, then kneading bread dough for upper body ;-)

Musicalcatlover

Post by Musicalcatlover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am

YAY!
Tuesday nite: 5 minute yoga meditation
Wednesday: 25 minute Ti Chi DVD, hand exercises that came with hand therapy balls box

I should REALLY try to find/set up the imitation fitbit with all the walking around here doing stuff for hubby +SIL who are on disability! :roll:
The first year after hubby was hurt, I had a repeat bone density test. I had actually GROWN bone, JUST from helping hubby as exercise!

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Gma ~ I love your upper body workout! Can I come over for that? :wink: :lol:

Mcl ~ that's awesome on the bone density!

I'm going over to older ds' to play with and help out with baby dgd. "Mom" is sick.
Making a preemptive strike by posting what I WILL do later on today.

*facial exercises & massage
*squats & stretching