WeEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES - September 24-30

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kitkat

WeEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES - September 24-30

Post by kitkat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 am

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBR5MZmEsY tai chi

kitkat

Re: WeEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES - September 24-30

Post by kitkat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:55 am

Another week - another opportunity!

My goal:
2 spin classes
1 Rowing class
1 Sculpt class
1 Pilates class
plus steps! (at least, 70,000)

Today:
Spin class plus 16,000 steps

helian

Post by helian » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks for starting this, kitkat!

I did a baby jog of 3 miles yesterday morning. My pace was OK for me, not the best -- but it was already 73* at 8 a.m. so kind of hot.

My goal:
x Sun. - jog 3 miles
M - jog 4.5 miles
T - yoga class
W - jog arb hill x2
Th - sprints
F REST DAY
Sat. Jog 12.25 miles

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 am

helian - your race is really soon, isn't it?

Today: over 10,000 steps. Every one of those counts double in this heat :lol:

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 am

KitKat and Helian, they are impressive goals.

Sunday was my rest day, I did 12000 steps in total
Monday 35 minute run and 18,000 steps, it was worth getting up earlier to miss the heat.

Today's exercise is a swim and 14,000 steps

helian

Post by helian » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

My jog yesterday was at an even slower pace. I went too late and it was hot. I've also gained a couple pounds that I would like to lose before the race.

The race is Oct. 15, kitkat. I still have 2.5 weeks. I'll set some goals here beforehand, the most basic one which will be to finish and not get swept. LOL!
Impressive! Yes, every step does count double in the heat kitkat. Be careful; stay hydrated. I know you know all that.
Are you doing a triathlon, Doodle Doo?

I need to be diligent about stretches and back exercises as well. I did my stretches yesterday. Yoga today will count as stretches today, but I do need to do my back exercises regularly. I'll throw those into my plan. I probably won't do both my stretches and back exercises each day, but this will give me something to work toward.

x Sun. - jog 3 miles
x M - jog 4.5 miles; stretches
T - back exercises; yoga class
W - jog arb hill x2; stretches; back exercises
Th - sprints; stretches; back exercises
F REST DAY stretches; back exercises
Sat. Jog 12.25 miles; stretches; back exercises

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm

orthopedist says some bone spurs and arthritis. Offered cortisone injection, but I don't want the side effects. So will get and elastic brace at Walgreen's to wear for up/down stairs, mowing, raking, and continue to do strengthening exercises. and gradually increase to return to my previous level of activity. I just was getting impatient and wanted something to heal it faster.

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Ladies!

Gma ~
so sorry about about the arthritis and bone spurs. Hope you can find some good remedies to help.

Sorry I've been so sporadic. I really wanted to get more consistent. The last week of the cleanse really threw me for an ADD loop. I only did half the week and ended it on Wednesday. I finally felt a bit more back to normal today, energy and focus wise. Decided that I am NOT going to do that in the summer again!
And then the trips to Peoria to see Hannah - new grand baby. NOT complaining about THAT! lol! Anyhoos... just having hard time getting my focus bearings.

I think I've found a tried & true focus and energy formula drink.
Seems like I always feel much more focused and more energy the next day after drinking it.
Going to drink it every day this week to see how I feel.

In the blender:
4 oz of super greens salad blend
1 sheet of nori
tomato
1/4 English cucumber
celery stalk
1/2 bell pepper - whatever color
2 or 3 mini carrots
1/4 beet
large garlic clove
pc of ginger
slice of jalapeño
2T apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of water

Monday: power plate & weights

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 am

Gma - I'm glad you had it checked. Take good care of yourself. (((())))
SmileLee - main thing is : you're here:)
Doodle and helian - impressive!
Missing jehanne, cc, and others...

Tuesday: Pilates class plus over 8,000 steps
Wednesday: Rowing class plus over 11,000 steps

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey kit! Yes! I will keep coming! :mrgreen: Your class lists are giving me the urge to try some out at our gym. They have a full day line-up of various class activities. Maybe I'll mix it up when I get back from the NC trip.

Wednesday: weight circuit, power plate, :20 treadmill
Thursday: not sure yet
Friday: not sure yet

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

exercise class today - called bonebuilders, intent is to reduce / prevent osteoporosis.
IT FELT SO GOOD! i could feel the muscle fibers firing and the increase in circulation!

GO EXCERCISE!!!
Now heading out to lunch with mother and a friend.

helian

Post by helian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

I had a great sprint pace yesterday, a PR! That was encouraging. I've been taking more iron, every other day now. I seem to be running better. . .. I'll stop after the race so I don't overdue it. I'm not doing well with my back exercises and stretches. I need to be more consistent with them.

I also need to call my dr. re: my shoulder. It's not a huge hindrance at all, just limited range of motion, but it has been bothering me more and more. Yoga and long runs now aggravate it. Ugh. Why do I hate going to the Dr. so much? Once I'm there, I'm fine and I like her a lot. It's just taking the initiative to get there that's bothersome. Or maybe I can call a PT directly?

Today is a rest day. We'll see how tomorrow goes. . .

That's great, Gma!
WTG with the classes and trips to the gym, kitkat and Smile Lee!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:00 am

helian - It won't hurt to check in with your ddr.
So proud of you for PR!!! WTG.
Nice going Gma!
Mixing it up keeps things interesting SmileLee - at least, for me.

Thursday: over 10,000 steps plus Sculpt class
Friday: Spin class and over 8,000 steps (plus prob. a couple of thousand while Fitbit was charging)

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:14 pm

WTG ladies on keeping the sweat going this week!

I was very proud of myself this yesterday. Instead of letting the tyranny of the urgent get the better of me, I DID go over and get power plate done yesterday. Didn't do anything else, but I did do that - and it was something. Win for me. :mrgreen:

I've been keeping up with my veggie drink -- and I feel fantastic this morning -- rip-roaring ready to do on a day full of packing and camp prep. Definitely going to keep the drink of through the camping trip.

helian

Post by helian » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Woohoo! Good job Smile Lee getting to the gym yesterday. Hmm... your veggie drinks sound amazing.
You're staying so active with your classes and all those steps, kitkat.

I ran 12.25 miles at a PR pace for me! 16 seconds/mile faster than my previous long run pace. :) However, the downside is that my body felt really awful afterward - not immediately afterward but about 45 minutes afterward. Calf muscles were very painful immediately after, but the nausea and faint-headedness arrived later. I kept stretching my calves and eventually they stopped hurting. I drank some water and finally ate some toast very slowly and slept for maybe an hour. Then I felt much better. Dh is insisting I keep drinking water. Why do I do this to myself? :roll:

I'll be so happy to have this half marathon behind me. Somehow, I'll need to find the energy to run 0.85 more miles (that's doable) + 2 significant inclines: around mile 2, we run over a car bridge into Canada, and going up the ramps and then to the middle of the bridge is not an insignificant gain in height. Then we get to go down, of course. On the way back to the US, we run through a tunnel, down and then up. I've heard the tunnel is harder as it occurs around mile 8 and is enclosed and smells somewhat of car fumes and it may be steeper too -- not sure.

Well, I have 2 more weeks to train.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 pm

helian BWTG!
DH is right. Drinking IS crucial. Little sips work better than infrequent big ones.
Calves get cramped often due to dehydration. Check the skin on the back of your hand: Pinch - if it goes down immediately, all is well. If it takes time, you definitely need to drink.
After these long runs, rest IS needed. A nap is wonderful.
I must also tell you something:
my longest training run pre- half marathon was a mere 9 miles. :oops: I simply did not have the time to put in longer runs at the time.
Calves, hips were complaining during the half marathon... Just kept going. I was not the last one... there were about 1,500 people behind me.
At the time, I was doing a one month long (hot) yoga challenge. I showed up in the afternoon for yoga. Got through it somehow. The next day, I was pretty useless :lol: - gave myself permission to take a day off yoga. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonderful job SmileLee! See, this thread works its magic:)

Today, I am taking the day off from formal exercise. And, with that, I'm off to walk my doggie:)

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 am

(((helian))) That sounds kind of dangerous. yikes! Hope you can figure it out for your next run.

kit ~ enjoy your day off! You deserve it!

I did a 20-mile walk/run when I was in high school. I couldn't bend for a few days afterward. :lol:

Today was just a lot of packing. I'll plenty of biking, hiking, and climbing steps to report when I get to NC.