Weekly Exercise Pledges September 3rd - 9th

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Doodle Do

Weekly Exercise Pledges September 3rd - 9th

Post by Doodle Do » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 pm

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

Doodle Do

Re: Weekly Exercise Pledges September 3rd - 9th

Post by Doodle Do » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi all,
My marathon planning has been put on hold this weekend! Friday I managed to do something to my back, it is slowly improving but certain movements still hurt so no running for me! I am trying to be sensible :shock:

Sunday
15,000 gentle steps and some easy stretches

Monday
The goal is 15000 steps and a swim (assuming the swimming doesn't aggravate my back) and some gentle stretches.

helian

Post by helian » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 pm

I hope you heal quickly Doodle Do! When is the marathon? I threw my back out about a month ago, and it took me 2 weeks before I could run again.

Dh is training for a marathon mid-October, and he just had a good 20 mile run on Saturday, so he's feeling good about his training.

I had a really good (for me!) 4.5 mile jog this morning, which I really needed. My pace last week on every single run was slow for me.

I'm not sure how to schedule my runs this week. Several factors are still up in the air: (1) I'll get my new work schedule on Tuesday. (2) Weather could affect the day of my weekend run. (3) I'll be out to an all morning training session on Saturday. SO. . . I'm not sure if I'll try for 11.5 miles again next weekend or just do my regularly scheduled medium run of 8 miles. RIght now I'm thinking I'll just keep to my regular running schedule; it will work better with my weekend schedule. I have time for only 2 longs runs before the half marathon either way.

Tentative Plan:
M - 4.5 miles flat
T - sprints; hot yoga class
Th - arb hill x2; add extra mileage?
Sat. - Medium run, 8 miles flat

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 am

Feel better real soon Doodle - thanks for the start! Impressive goals :)
helian - have you told your own Dr re: lightheadedness etc? It might be an idea.
Another attempt at 5 classes plus over 70,000 steps.

Sunday: no formal exercise - over 8,000 steps
Monday: Spin class - over 12,000 steps.

helian

Post by helian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:08 pm

kitkat, I don't remember if I mentioned light-headedness to my Dr. or not? The diagnosis of anemia was communicated to me over the phone after lab tests over a year ago. The anemia was pretty severe and they seemed a little alarmed at the time. I was experiencing light-headedness and shortness of breath from time to time. I even fainted once, though I don't remember if I even told my Dr. that. . . . :oops: Also, back then I wasn't running the longer runs that I do now. Iron pills seem to be helping; later tests have shown mu levels are better -- still low but low within the normal range - and I found that I feel less tired -- not that I was even aware of being tired before, but I could feel a difference in general energy levels and stamina while running with the iron. Per Dr.'s orders, I only take them during my TOM, which is very heavy and long, up to 10 days is not unusual. I'm not sure that is keeping up. Sorry if TMI. I'm kind of ready for menopause, though I've also been told not to be too ready. I just turned 50, so I think it should be around the corner. . .

Anyhow, WTG on your steps and class! :)

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 am

Hi Kitkat and Helian

Helian, You probably should mention your symptoms to your Dr, if only because they may choose to monitor you more closely.

Kitat, good for you on the spinning class.

Yesterday I got 14518 steps and I swam for 30 mins which didn't seem to make my back any worse.

My Fitbit today decided to stop syncing so I have lost most of today's steps. Will aim to make it to 10000 now it's working again with a dog walk.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 am

I agree with Doodle , please run it by ddoctor, helian! Better safe!

Glad to hear about your back improving Doodle
!
Today:
Yin Yoga class - several mini-walks outside - total: over 10,000 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 am

helian, have you had your hemoglobin (Hb) checked recently? Do you know how anemic you are? Hb carries oxygen, so if you don'thave enough of it, you of course get light headed because your brain, heart, and muscles are not getting the oxygen you need. There is a battery of tests that tell if what you need is iron, or if there are other components of adequate ehmoglobin that you may be missing. Folic acid and B12 ar other common issues. And there are more issues that can contribute as well (less common).

I am homefrom cabin, generally get pretty close to 10k without even trying.

helian

Post by helian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Yes, Gma, I had a whole battery of tests run, including my Hb. But I haven't had the tests done recently. Maybe I should check in with my Dr. However, I'm feeling better and running better now so I don't know if the tests would show anything. . . . TOM is over, maybe that is part of it?

That sounds like the best way to get steps in, Gma, while at the cabin having fun!
WTG with all your steps too, kitkat!
WTG swimming, Doodle Do! Swimming for 30 minutes would be like torture to me, but I've heard it's great exercise for your entire body and doesn't stress joints, etc. like running does. .

I did the arb hill X2 yesterday, 3.6 miles total. The hill is 0.6 miles up, so 1.2 miles going up, 1.2 miles going down, and 1.2 miles getting to and from the hill. I had a good pace for me, especially after running the day before. Hot yoga class was good too; I'm starting to sort of get some of the more difficult poses.

I'm revising my running schedule per dh's suggestion to get in my long run this weekend. He suggests Friday a.m. instead of Saturday afternoon. There are pros and cons to that, but I'll give it a shot. I'll be really tired for payroll Friday afternoon -- but it will also give me Saturday afternoon to catch up on things.

So, I'll run sprints today, 3rd day in a row running, rest on Thursday, and try to run 11.5 miles early Friday a.m.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 pm

just read a report of a study on health of back (spinal) discs - contrary to what we have thought/been told, running seems to contribute to healthy backs, discs. Study was done on people in 20s and 30s, limited number of people, so I don't konw how that translates to me almost 70.... But I was encouraged when I read that "running" included even 4mph, and 12 miles a week seemed to be a baseline minimum. Not alot of changes above that either in distance or speed.
forgot to put my fitbit on today. so my reading may be half! I have walked 0.25 miles with mother's dog. and putzed.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello, all! :D

Gma, thanks for sharing the info on running. That is pretty interesting! Did the report give any info on walking? I sometimes run a bit as interval work, but walking is more my speed, generally.

Helian, glad you are feeling better! Those times seemed to get worse and worse for me, until the last year. Finally ended at 57. Hope you won't have to wait that long! :? I definitely agree with taking iron, eating more red meat, etc, during or just before those times. Cooking in an iron skillet is said to help you get your iron, too.

Doodle, I love to swim! Haven't had time for it lately, but hoping I can before it cools off too much. Going to the lake later this month with kids and grandkids. :D

Kitkat, sounds like you and I are on the same plane-- trying again! :wink: I didn't meet all my goals last week, though I made a fair stab at it. So trying again this week. Your plan of 70,000 steps for the week sounds good, since some of my days are in the 12,000 range and some are more like 6000. But idk if I will actually make it that high.

M: 7200
T: 8800 + T-tapp
W: 11000

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 am

Gma - I always like it when I hear something good about running, thank you for sharing.

Jehanne - how lovely, I love swimming in open water! Well done on your steps!!

Helian, glad you are feeling better, I need to have another go at yoga......s :roll:

KitKat - what is Yin yoga? I never realized how many different types of yoga there are!

Yesterday was very wet and fairly cool and as the indoor pool was closed I decided against pool running. I did manage 12000 steps.

Today my four legged friend and I ran..yay!! My back felt ok thank goodness. I came home and stretched and did my planks and push ups and a few modified squats. 18,800 steps today.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 am

helian - so glad you are feeling better
Gma one can only wonder how those of us past thirty would fare:)
jehanne it's a good thing we can restart as many times as we want.
Your numbers are great, Doodle (happy to hear about your back improvement)
Yin Yoga is a form of Yoga where you hold poses for a length of time, 3- 5 minutes. Sounds scary? It's not: you use props, like blankets, blocks, bolsters. (No standing poses) It is often relaxing after a while. (Initially, the body resists) It's a great stretch when you have a good instructor and if you are aware of your own limitations. I think you could really hurt yourself with it otherwise.
I'm sure you can see lots of good ones online. Paul Grilley comes to mind...
There is also Restorative Yoga which is similar in a way but more restful.
Hope this helps.

Today: 7,800 steps and Sculpt class

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm

I am doing weekly Bone Builders. They meet 2x a week, but Monday it competes with my church adult study class (mostly Bible, but sometimes topical) so Iget there on ly on Thursdays. It felt so good yesterday! I am thinkng about getting the equipment so I dan do it my self at home the other day, maybe even 2 making it 3x a week. It is a proven program to be helpful for preventing osteoporosis. It includes weightbearing exercises, gradual increaase in weights, also warm up before and cool down stretches after.

"Running" at 4mph is fast wlking in my mind!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 am

Gma - I consider it jogging :mrgreen: A matter of perspective. :lol:

Today: no formal exercise and by the time we would have gone walking, it was COLD !
7,600 steps...

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:17 am

Today: Spin class and 13,000 steps

Almost met my goal: about 68,000 steps and 4 classes.