Weekly Exercise Pledges: August 20 - 26

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Weekly Exercise Pledges: August 20 - 26

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 am

SUMMER IS A WONDERFUL TIME TO INCREASE OUR ACTIVITY AND IMPROVE OUR HEALTH

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

Smile*Lee

Re: Weekly Exercise Pledges: August 20 - 26

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 am

Hello kit, jehanne, cc, helian, Gma!

Got off to a good start this week! I normally just do MWF at the gym. I have to be over there every day this week, so the plan is to go in get my cross country cardio on the treadmill going every day. Will it really happen?!?!

I did my second day of Flex Effect facial exercises. Felt really good after it was done, not really sure why. After I've done it for about a month, I'll consider scheduling an online workshop or Skype lesson to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Monday
:30 power plate - :30 weights - :20 cross country treadmill - :30 Flex Effect facial exercise
Tonight -- squats and push ups

Tuesday
:20 cross country treadmill

Wednesday
:30 power plate - :30 weights - :20 cross country treadmill - :30 Flex Effect facial exercise

Thursday
nada

Friday
:30 power plate - :30 weights - :20 cross country treadmill
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:00 am

I am already over 11k: took dog for a walk, helped dgrandson mow their lawn, and carried boxes from garage 2 to garage 1 at mothers so I can clean garage 2.
now headed to the amll with mother, so there will be more steps!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 am

Thanks for the start SmileLee - what is a facial exercise, SmileLee?
Gma - can you loan some of your energy? WTG! So nice to see you.

Aiming for a min. of 5 classes and 70,000 steps (Last week, I managed 6 classes and 75,000 steps)

Sunday - no formal exercise - 9,300 steps
Monday - no formal exercise - outdoor walking - so far, over 11,300 steps

helian

Post by helian » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm

You're getting in large numbers of steps -- and classes too, kitkat! WTG!
You too, Gma! That's a lot of steps for one day!
It looks like you've got lots of exercise in your schedule, Smile Lee. I'm with kitkat in wondering about the facial exercises. Are they for recovery from your dental work? Ds used to have a contraption for his mouth that I think was for that purpose, but his clarinet teacher recommended it to strengthen his embouchure, his mouth muscles.

I have an odd week for exercising, and I'm not entirely sure how to schedule my runs. . .

Last week, I did my long run one day early, 10.75 miles on Friday. Then, I ran 4.5 miles at the campground on Sunday, which was hilly, so I'm considering that my hills run for the week. I also ran yesterday.

This Saturday, I have training from 9 - 12 for a potential charity with which I might start volunteering. I might try my medium run (8 miles) before church on Sunday, but that means I'd need to be running by 6:45 a.m. at the latest to allow time for stretching and getting home in time to shower, etc. before walking out the door again at 9:10 a.m. This is one of the issues of running at such a slow pace; I need large chunks of time to get in my runs. :roll:

Well, this is the plan I'll attempt:
M - ran 4.5 mile flat; very slow pace for me. Hot and humid OR still recovering from long run Friday + hills run Sunday OR feeling the effects of eating poorly for 2 days OR all of the above?
T - hot yoga @ 5:30
W - rest day (taking dd19 to the airport in the a.m. anyway)
Th - sprints
F and Sa rest days - due to schedule; I'm teaching a pilot class at 9:30 Friday a.m. I have training 9 - 12 Saturday.
Sun - 8 miles flat; head otd by 6 a.m., ideally. . .

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:38 am

helian - I hope you'll get our weather - nice and cool now! It's hard running in humid weather! WTG on all those miles.

Today:
after losing Fitbit and suffering withdrawal symptoms :lol: - I successfully located it around midday. It's only showing around 7,000 steps. However, I did a Pilates class as well.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am

I envy those of you with "schedules" that make all those steps part of a routine!
my walking partner is on vacation
but I have done another >10k just going from one garage to another (and they are adjoining!)
I am tired, and eager to go to bed - home long enough to get clothes for tomorrow - to take mother to dr appt. in morning.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Happy Wednesday! Wtg everyone!

The facial exercises are at www.flexeffect.com. When I started this whole TMJ/jaw/teeth thing, I was only supposed to be on a soft chew diet for about 9 months. It will be a full 3 years or more by the time it's done. I started realizing that I was losing muscle mass and bone density in my face. :shock: yeah... so, fixing on problem has led to another. :P :evil: I remembered looking at this program when I first started having problems with my jaw. Deb Crowly is a body builder and the developer of the program. Since I first looked at it, she's developed and added some techniques for bone building and skin remodeling. So.. going to give it a whirl.

Only got in the treadmill yesterday. Hey -- it's something. :D
Today -- power plate, weights, treadmill

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Have been avg 5,000 steps last week and so far this week,had a few 7000 step,days that really wiped me out. Hip exercises and planks doing agout every other day .

kitkat- I'm sure you got plenty of steps in

Smile- facial exercises are new idea for me too

Helian- whew ,thst's a long run. I hate humidity and we've had quite a bit of it so far this week .

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 pm

cheers to you for increasees in steps and for doing the exercises, cc!
smilee,
I look forward to finding time to look at those facial muscles :-) nBreast fed babies develop good facial muscles.

cheers to you, helian, for your running program!
kitkat, glad you found your fitbit!

I did exercise class today -b against my mother's wishes. She said one day missing won't matter - I didn't use any weights today, it has not been "one day" it has been all summer cz of time at the lake. Need to grab these classes when I can. It is like a free hr of Physical therapy!

I had one 20,000 step day cleaning her garage, and one 11000 day. today is errands by car so I don' t expect too many. but I did get to class!

sheskaren

Post by sheskaren » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Well,I fell off the exercise wagon in June...we moved, and I had several rooms to repaint, and other projects to distract me...yeah. But now the dkikds are back in school, so it's time for me to get back on track too. So, here's this week's progress. My phone didn't store steps but I have distances.

Mon- Weights: 45 mins (back); walked 1 mile
Tues- Weights: 55 mins (chest); bike ride 3 miles
Wed- Weights: 60 min (biceps & abs); walked 3.6 miles
Thur- REST DAY, ran errands, emptied out a 10x10 storage unit
Fri- Weights: 55 mins (shoulders); bike ride 5 miles
Sat-Leg day
Sun-REST DAY

helian

Post by helian » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Nice to have you join us, sheskaren! What is leg day? Are you getting rain from the hurricane?
Wow, you're getting lots of steps, Gma! WTG getting to class! It sounds like it is helpful to you.
WTG being consistent with the hip exercises and planks, CC. And you're getting in steps too!!
Good job with your consistent exercise, Smile Lee. Did you get to the gym the last couple of days? Are you doing the mouth exercises?
Glad you found your fitbit, kitkat. I'm sure you're racking up the steps and keeping active with classes and grandkids!

On Thursday, WW said I'd gained 1.7 lbs. I could feel my weight was up -- but it's discouraging that I'm going the wrong direction!! It's my own lack of self-discipline and the availability of junk food on our small group camp out. Our small group is usually very health conscious, a group of very healthy eaters, but they relax their standards for this trip, and the result is a lot of junk food I don't usually eat. Some let their kids choose special snacks they don't usually have. Anyhow, it would be helpful to my running If I could lose a little more before I attempt the half marathon in October. Less than 2 months away.

My sprints on Thursday were at a very good pace for me, so that was encouraging. I was starting to wonder since my pace had tanked after my long run a week ago Friday. I'll run medium (8 miles) tomorrow, and that will be a better measure of where I'm at.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Look at you all moving! WTG cc, helian, Gma, sheskaren (welcome back!)

Not my week with classes, I'm afraid... Got a little too busy:)
Wed: over 7,000 steps
Thurs: over 7,000 steps plus yoga class
Friday: over 15,000 steps

sheskaren

Post by sheskaren » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm

helian~by leg day I mean a lower body workout. I thought I might be helping to dig post holes today but it looks like there's more than enough hands for the amount of tools we have. So I have no excuse not to hit the gym, lol!
Oh, and we have had a few good days of long soaking rain instead of the typical flash flood-inducing deluges we normally get. That's nice for us as it means the ground is soft enough to dig in, and it's been much cooler, too. But I don't think this rain is from the hurricane, as it just made landfall yesterday. We're not supposed to get rain again until maybe Wednesday.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 pm

sheskaren, I ho;pe you are far enough inland not to be impacted badly by harvey.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 am

*waving to evereeebodeeee!

helian ~ Edited post above with exercise tadas. Got in the facial exercises about 3 times this week. Their recommendation is 5x with 2 days off.
Been rereading the book and some stuff on their forums. Interesting effect after doing the exercises - my face wants to smile. It's GOOD, but a little strange, lol.

sheskaren

Post by sheskaren » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 am

Gma, I live about 9 hours away from the gulf, so yes, my family is safe. :D

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:38 am

Hope all are safe from the hurricane!

Today:
Spin class plus over 10,000 steps

helian

Post by helian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Had a really good 8 mile run early this a.m. A really good pace for me. That was encouraging!

I'm not sure how I'll schedule running this week. T-Th - Sat. makes a lot of sense, but I'm trying for 11.5 miles on Saturday, and I do better if I have 2 days of rest beforehand. I could do T-W-Sa. Or even T-W-Th-Sa., and make Th. sprints day, which would be a lighter work out 2 days before a longer run.

Well, no matter what, at least I know I'm resting tomorrow and running on Tuesday.

WTG with the class and all the steps, kitkat!
Hey, smiling is great, Smile Lee! What a funny effect of exercises though. :)