WEEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES July 30 - August 5

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kitkat

WEEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES July 30 - August 5

Post by kitkat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 am

WEEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES ~ JULY 23 - 29

SUMMER IS A WONDERFUL TIME TO INCREASE OUR ACTIVITY AND IMPROVE OUR HEALTH

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

kitkat

Re: WEEKLY EXERCISE PLEDGES July 30 - August 5

Post by kitkat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 am

Oh my goodness! August...
Incredible how the time flies.

I was waiting to see if anyone else wanted to do the honours. (Start the thread)

So, my goal for the week:
the usual.
Lots of walking.
5 assorted classes.

So far:
No classes Sunday and Monday
10,000 steps and 9,000 steps

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:34 am

No kidding... can't believe it's August already.

Went to the gym today. Really didn't feel all that great so I just did power plate.
Tomorrow -- ellipitcal, squats, push ups
Wednesday - gym day

Not sure what will happen from there.
Thursday will be packing trailer day - and then heading to Michigan where we'll be till Monday.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes, that's just what I was thinking. Can't believe July is over already.

I went walking with my friend early. We got in 3 miles. I got to 10,000 steps by 5 p.m. Almost 12,000 by bedtime. I found that T-tapp works pretty well as a warm-up while I'm waiting for her. :)

helian

Post by helian » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I threw my back out within 20 minutes of our backpacking trip. I herniated a disc in my lower back when I was 19yo, and I have to be careful.
I bent over to retie my boots with my pack on my back. I was not careful. :roll: SO. . . I'm going to play this week by ear. No yoga. NO running for a few days. I'll try to walk a lot instead. Because of the trip, I also skipped my medium run on Saturday, so my training schedule is a bit out of whack. I won't worry about that for now.

I'll also be doing my back exercises multiple times each day. Sitting is the worst position for me. It may/may not hurt while I'm doing it, but once I stand up, it is painful for me to walk.

T - back exercises - I; walk
W - back exercises ; walk
Th - back exercises; walk or try a short jog?
F - back exercises; walk
Sa - back exercises; try a jog

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

((((helian))) ~ omg... SO btdt! Pretty much all of it. I read your other post over on TDD. I have a back issue also and get that you think you're in a good place and do things that you know you should'nt be doing. One little glitch -- :( - and I'm out for several days. A little tip from dealing with this for years -- crutches help tremendously on those first, most painful days. Using crutches takes the weight off your spine and onto the arms.

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 pm

(((helian))) so sorry for all the pain! you have a good plan. I went to a workshop once where they said that sitting puts more strain on the back than other positions.

I made over 12000 yesterday :) WOW, YAAY ME!

heading outside to mow - that will give me a good start on teh day.
I am already tired after spending over an hr helping my mother, and it is only morning.
edited... to say
in such a hurry that I forgot to say hi to everyone, so I had to come back
HI :D kitkat, smiles, and jehanne
hope to see cl and country cook here this week too

is that everyone? Hi to any I missed, too.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Sitting is awful on the back. (I have proof - every time I'm getting out of the car ...)
helian - please have your back re-assessed. You aren't 19 any more. Things DO change. Sorry to hear it did not go well.
Please focus on healing.
WTG Gma!
Hi SmileLee

Hope our other friends join us as well.

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 am

Hi ladies
Have managed at least 3500-4500 steps all week . Did 7700 on Friday, shopping and errands
Did the hip exercises most of the time . Managed them today, haven't done the planks yet, tomorrow.

Helian- ouch, ouch . Please take it carefully .

Kitkat- what are taking for classes

Smile - sounds like a busy time packing

Jehnne- wrg on your steps

Gma- good job on your steps

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 am

Hi cc - wonderful!
I'd love to join you doing planks! Those are the best. (not while doing them :lol: )
As for classes, I tend to do Pilates, Yoga, Sculpt, Spin, and sometimes, Barre.

Today:
10,000 steps (outdoor walking with the little ones) - and Pilates class.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Helian-- Oh, so sad to hear about your back! That must've really dimmed the lights on your trip. :( And yes, I can witness along with you and others, sitting is VERY hard on the back. Lying on a carpeted floor or yoga mat, flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat, can help realign the spine without putting weight on it. But whatever your doctor says... I'm not a pro, just learned some things by experience. The crutches sound like a good option, too.

Gma, I hear ya about being so tired before the day is half started. My early-morning walks wear me out. But they say, What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So I'm holding on, hoping to see some positive results soon. :D

Kitkat, WTG on your steps! How are planks the best? I am thinking of trying them. My ydd has been doing them. She is very skinny. So I guess that is a good reference right there, huh? :wink:

Countrycook, WTG! looks like you've been working hard! Making good progress! :D

Tues: FM, 6300 steps
Wed: Barn work, walked 3 miles; 8700 steps so far. Aiming to hit the 10,000 mark soon! :mrgreen:

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm

WTG, Ladies! I'm in a tizzy getting ready for camping. Will cuop later. :D

It was gym day: power plate, weights, & treadmill.

re: planks --- my trainer makes me do :45 one elbow planks on the power plate. THAT IS HARD! I'm thinking of telling her that I'd rather just do them regular. I think I could do a better form with that. I do push-ups on the alternate days - which is really a moving plank. :mrgreen:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 am

45 seconds, SmileLee?
One arm planks I do in my Pilates class. Good form is key. It works other parts of the body.
In my Sculpt class, we aim for a 3 min. plank (two arms)

Today:
about 10,000 steps - did not make it to class- we had a crazy downpour.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:54 am

lol ~ NOT 45 minutes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah... it's harder than it looks on a vibrating plate.

helian

Post by helian » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:30 pm

I tried to run today. It did not go well. The first step sent a jolting pain up my back, and after 20 seconds of pain (not as jolting but still.. .), I decided it was not good. I walked a while and tried a second time. Same thing. *sigh*. I just walked in the park while dh ran.

In general, my back is getting better so that's encouraging.

I did my back exercises 6 or 7 times yesterday. So far today, just 1 time.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:45 pm

(((helian))) I understand the frustration.

Another exercise that I think has been helpful for strengthening my back is the bird dog exercise. Had never done that before, but my trainer has me do it. I do it all the time now, even when I'm on vacation.

Packing up for Michigan today. Not sure how much "exercise" will happen, but plan on lots of outdoor time, some bicycling, and kayaking.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Bird Dog is wonderful!
Also good for glutes - which tend to be a problem for many of us ...

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:41 pm

After spending a year doing the bird dog, and all the muscles have gotten stronger, I realize that it's a lot more comprehensive than I first thought. It looks deceptively simple.

Amazingly, I got in :15 of elliptical and the T-Tapp basic workout plus. Lots of good stretching in there. Usually, my brain is going pellmell on packing and won't stop to exercise. I was able to reign it in! Felt good to get some sweat & stretch in.

helian

Post by helian » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:25 pm

OK, thanks! I'll look up bird dog, especially if it is good for the lower back. My glutes can always use strengthening and toning, but they're actually not a problem spot for me. I don't have big hips or legs. I put extra weight around my waist. :roll: Which I've heard will only get worse as I get older. Wish I could put the extra weight a little higher up, iykwim.

helian

Post by helian » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 pm

Looked up the bird dog, and that pose is part of my original back exercise regime! Except I now leave it off. Maybe I should add it back in.

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 am

Yesterday I managed 6000 steps nd did most of my ex. Then I slightly twisted my bad ankle :?
Took it esier today ,so far only 3300 steps .

helian - my last 10 lbs all went into a not so lovely spare tire- groan. I will get back to doing modified planks as soon as I can, think those are helping .

Smile - wtg on ex ,good luck with packing

kitkat - I knew you would know about those poses

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 am

cc - ouch - be gentle with your ankle.
helian We all need good strong glutes- they affect back health.
SmileLee - accountability is wonderful, isn't it? WTG on doing your exercise.

Today:
14,000 steps plus Sculpt class.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 am

Quick CI:

I did make my 10,000 on Wed. :)
Thurs: 9,000 steps, planked 1 min.
Fri: 7000 steps. Not planking tonight... too late. Found exercise keeps me awake if I do it at bedtime.

Good to see you all!! :D Take care!

helian

Post by helian » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm being lazy. I've decided not to try for another jog today. I might go for a long walk this afternoon, but I have a lot I need to get done first. It has been a week and a half since I last ran. I am probably losing some ground. I think I've gained a little weight, maybe a pound or two since I've been less active and also haven't been as mindful with my eating. I think I'm taking a vacation from fitness. :roll: I need to get back on it the best I can. . .

Way to go on the step counts, jehanne!
Wow, kitkat. 14K steps + a sculpt class is a lot for one day. WTG!
Oh no, CC. Yes, please take it easy on your ankle.

I've started doing the bird dog stances when I do my back exercises. They do hurt my lower back a little, but that might be a good hurt. My back is greatly improved!!

Yes, I've learned from running how interconnected muscles are, as well as the importance of balance and core strength, which are weak points for me. Dh got in trouble a couple years ago b/c he wasn't properly stretching his glutes and hamstrings, and he developed a pretty serious pain in his glutes that kept him from running. A visit to a Physical Therapist set that straight. The stretches he was given are the "rigorous stretches" I do from time to time. I should do them daily, as dh does, but I don't. My back exercises also include stretching my glutes. After running a lot, they're more likely to be sore than any other muscles in my body, including my legs.