So long May, Hello June

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kuruni

So long May, Hello June

Post by kuruni » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

May/June Day, let your exercise bring you peace, May 29 - June 03
It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!
( removed the non working links and added a new one on top - for a smile :D It's "the walrus workout"
LINKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJl1fu ... re=related (check this out, it will bring you a smile!)

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

kuruni

Re: So long May, Hello June

Post by kuruni » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 pm

New Monday, New Week, New Goals and plenty of opportunities to take care of ourselves.

My goal this week is
- to move everyday at least 45 minutes (walking) as there will be no fitness class
- to sleep no later than 11 p.m.
- to drink at least 1,5 l of water
- to avoid eating sweets
- to take at least 10min break every max 2 hours at work (it is crazy at the moment)

Have a good start into the new week :) We are having very warm weather today.

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Kuruni, I will try to join you this week, summer is here and time to get busy.

Today I bought an under desk treadmill - loving it, so I have to pedal when I am at my desk which should give me a lot of exercise or less desk time. LOL

In the summer I exercise a lot so this week the plan is as follows.

Today I am going to learn my new to me Total Gym so I can do it every day.

We have a lot of free classes with out membership at our Y so I intend to do those.

I also have a Beach Body All on on Demand membership so I would like to do 1 of those each day as well. I find that doing 2-4 different exercises every day really helps me lose weight.

Like your new goals, my summer goals.

Log my food - when I log I lose and when I don't log I maintain.
Drink at least 3 quarts but try for 1 gallon.
Stay away from my danger foods - gluten, Processed sugar, cow (meat and dairy) and night shade veggies (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant) and try to eat mostly 1 ingredient whole foods (I can combine in a recipe but not processed foods).
Exercise 1 to 3 hours a day.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I am going to do a 3 day cleanse.

Start each day with a kale and strawberries in Shakeology (vegan chocolate protein shake)
Eat only fruit and veggies and water water water for 3 days.
Grapefruit
Berries
Apples
Dates
Bananas
spaghetti squash with my carrot beet onion (nomato sauce I made)
Stir fried cabbage
vegetable soup in our our homemade bone broth
Salads with grapefruit vinaigrette

Then after that keep my grains to 2 to 3 a day, add lots of protein, explore recipes

End with homemade goat yogurt, pureed fruit and chia seeds and a few stevia chocolate chips.

helian

Post by helian » Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Oh, this is the new thread for this week. I'll move my exercise plan over here. Thanks kuruni!
Nice to see you here, Costumelady! Maybe your careful eating will inspire me!
I hope I'm still as active as you when I have grandkids, Gma and kitkat.

I talked over my work out plan for the week with dh. I'm running a 10K next Sunday, so he thinks I should taper down this week and rest both Friday and Saturday. It's only a 10K, but I'll follow his advice.

Dh is running the half marathon at the same race on Sunday.

So, the plan for this week:
M - 4 miles flat
T - arb hill (2.33 miles) - just one time/ yoga @ 5:30
W - walk with dfriend; not strenuous but b/c of time (and warmth in the afternoon), I can't run this day
Th - 2 miles flat
F - REST DAY
Sa - REST DAY
Sun - 10K Run!

My 4 mile run today was standard. My pace was OK, not my fastest - but OK for me, identical to last week's 4 mile run.

I'd like to lose a little weight this week. Every little bit will help with my run on Sunday, though that's not a significant run for me. I'm not overweight and still at WW goal, but I've had about a 1.5 pound gain over the last 2 weeks. That trend needs to change. I did travel to NYC last week -- but still.

Costumelady

Post by Costumelady » Tue May 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Helian I always thought I wish I could be a runner but I simply do not think that will ever happen, I have tricky hips, they go out on me when I over do, I can't even hike a long way but I can exercise a lot. YOu might do some yoga on your rest days to keep you nice and stretched and limber for your run on Saturday. Those are nice active rest days activities.

For me, in order to lose weight I must connect all of the dots, logging, water, exercise and diet almost perfectly. I have been stalled for 5 months, I need it to get moving so trying this.

I made it to the Y, was 15 minutes late but did 45 minutes of Ripped and I am pedalling right now as I type. We watched the videos last night for our total gym, I want to go up and do it soon. Today is our last day of required work at school I may not get it all done today and will have to go back on my own time this week.

Planning to do Hot Yoga tonight at 6, haven't gotten to do hot yoga in a long time, a couple of months -something always gets in the way, got it on the calendar 2 times this week. I have planned 2 weeks worth of exercises.

Must stop and pick up a cabbage I forgot to get that yesterday.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks for the start kuruni -
avoiding sweets is a tough one for most of us. In the past, I have found that staying away from ALL sugar is easier than having just a "little" :lol:
CostumeLady - how nice to see you . Looks like you are well- organized and have considered diet, exercise, hydration. Keeping a food log DOES make a difference. We become so much more conscious of what we eat. Good for you!:) Hope you find our thread helpful.
I have a question: are you sure you want to drink THAT much? It makes me wonder b/c I've been reading about issues such as Hyponatremia which can create dangerous problems.
Electrolyte balance is much too important. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia)
helian - thank you:) Grandkids are wonderful - and helpful in keeping us active.
I don't think you are lacking in the "activity department" :wink:

This week:
Sunday: Yin Yoga - 10,500 steps (lots of gardening)
Monday - 8,300 steps (more gardening) - no formal exercise
Tuesday - 7,900 steps - Pilates class and Spin class
Wednesday: - 8,200 steps - garden/housework - no formal exercise

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 am

CL, Ikwym about being stalled. Looks like your plan should work, though! 8) Mostly, it seems for me that more veggies, more activity and fewer carbs usually gets the scale moving again. That under-desk treadmill sounds like a great idea.
I am pedalling right now as I type.
WTG, playing while you work! :mrgreen:

Helian, it's great that your DH is a runner, too! :D Good luck with your 10K.

Kuruni, how are you doing? 45 min walking sounds like quite a lot to me, at present. I am trying just to do 15 min, a day! :?

Kitkat, good to see you. I was wondering where you were. :wink: My SIL was telling me about Hyponatremia a couple months ago. Not that I have that issue, but I was asking about a friend who does.

Mon: I was lazy, since it was a holiday. :)
Tues: 15 min. morning walk, T-tapp, 8800 steps
Wed: No morning walk, but did help DH wrassle goats later in the morning. 7700 steps

helian

Post by helian » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you jehanne. Dh inspired me to try running for exercise. I actually do enjoy it! I'm not fast, but I can do it for a long time. Having my anemia diagnosed and corrected almost 2 years ago was really key too. I'd love to try "wrassling" goats for exercise! I think I've told you I think they're really funny animals. If we had a farm, I'd like to have a couple.
Well, I do hope I have grandkids to chase around some day, kitkat. :) We do live in a nice area for keeping active. A lot of residents prioritize exercise and outdoor activity, and there are a lot of local clubs (running, swimming, probably biking too). Pretty scenery and summers that aren't too hot help too. I've learned to work with the cold temps in the winters.
You've thought of everything, CostumeLady! The Tuesday night yoga class I do is hot yoga, and I sweat buckets. I can't do everything, and our teacher changes things up every week. I'm usually sore the next day.

My scale says I've dropped 2 lbs. this week Hmm.... I don't know how accurate that is. Tomorrow is weigh-in day.

I got up too late on Tuesday to run before it got hot, so I switched that run to Wednesday. That meant I was pretty tired by Wednesday afternoon. I'm still on the exercise plan, though.

One thing I need to do better: my rigorous stretches. Dh does them daily. I need to do that too.

Weekly Plan:
X M - 4 miles flat
X T - hot yoga @ 5:30
X W - ran the arb hill once - made it a 2.4 mile run / walked and talked with dfriend for about 1:15
Th - 2 miles flat
F - REST DAY
Sa - REST DAY
Sun - 10K Race!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Cheering you on helian! WTG on the weight loss
jehanne your exercise seems challenging and fun:)
I wonder where is Gma?

Thursday: Sculpt class - almost 10,000 steps
Today: no formal exercise, over 7,000 steps so far
Update: over 10,000 steps - just before bed. A lot of stairs today... I'm feeling it:)

helian

Post by helian » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks kitkat!

The 10K race was good in some ways and awful in others. LOL! The bad first: I ran my SLOWEST EVER 10K! My official pace was over a minute slower than my pace on the 10K I ran on my own last weekend. My watch said my pace was about 40 seconds slower than last week's. I'm not sure why there was such a large discrepancy between my watch and the official timer. I did stop 3x to grab a drink, but my stops were about 5 seconds each, just enough for 4 swallows, and then I returned to running. Anyhow, 2 possible factors: the weather was warm and humid and the course was hillier than I'd remembered. Hills slow me down. Also, I slept minimally and not well the night before. I also skipped my morning tea b/c I didn't want to have to visit a port a potty while running. Maybe my body needed a little caffeine. LOL!
The Good: I was able to manage my body well, listening to it and forcing myself to start slow when it wanted to start more quickly. My comfortable pace just ended up being much slower than usual. I saw that while running but didn't push myself to my more usual pace. I was able to run the entire route and ended strong going up the last hill. I was even able to sprint to the finish line.

It was a pretty run, however. The route took us along the river, a different section than the park where I normally run. People were friendly and encouraging. I'll do it again next year.

I did throw out my back right before the run by bending over kind of funny, I guess. I do have back issues, a herniated disc at age 19 that still causes issues from time to time. I did part of my back exercises before the run. I didn't feel my back during my run at all!! I did feel it while trying to sleep last night. :roll: I need to start doing my back exercises regularly. Dh thinks it's also b/c I'm not keeping up with my stretches in general. . . . I need to do better at stretching.

Exercise Plan for this week - may be in flux a bit.
M - Jog flat, 3 - 4 miles; I'll see how I feel. Back exercises. Stretches.
T - Yoga class. Back exercises. Stretches.
W - Jog 4 miles or the arb hill. Back exercises. Stretches.
Th. - Jog sprints. Back exercises. Stretches.
F - REST DAY Back exercises. Stretches.
Sa. - Jog 9.5 - 10 miles. Back exercises. Stretches.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 am

Aw, sounds like a great run, helian! Even though not as fast as you expected... sounds like you got it figured out. :D
Take good care of your back. :( I've been "down in my back" before, and oh, my!! I think that is the worst kind of pain for affecting your whole body. It feels like you can't move, you can't sit still, you can't even hardy lie any way that doesn't hurt. I'm very thankful not to have back issues any more.

I think a couple of goats are amusing and fun to have, too. Also good for keeping down the brush. Forty goats are not so fun. Especially when they are all in the barn, and you have to get through them to collect the eggs. But I love each one, and hate to see their hooves hurting, or them sick and weak. It happens often... they seem to require a lot of care. I have decided I love my cow more. But if we had forty cows, that might be a different story, too. :wink:

Kitkat, what stairs were you climbing?

Today: I went for a checkup at the eye doctor. Afterward, I wanted to walk, but not at the very public ball park, which was the nearest I knew of. It happened that as I was driving out of the parking lot, I saw a sign, "Tohi Trail". So I drove there, about half a mile, and had a nice little walk before lunch. I never had seen that little nature trail before, so I felt really blessed to find it! :D Got in about 11,000 steps today!! --almost without even realising it. :D

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 am

hi!
good to see you jioning us, cl :D

I have been so busy with my mother, there has been little time to post. Spent last night at her house, and will spend tonight there too. But home for a hsort while - long enough to go for my own walk.
I have also taken her dog for walks, so I did reach 10k steps.
Tomorrow I hope to find time to mow my lawn tomorrow.
And going on a "date" to local winery/pizzeria with a man who delivered some outdoor furniture to cabin. He lives about 1/2 hr from here, and his wife died 8 yrs ago.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:57 am

Hope all is well with DMom, Gma! WTG on all the steps.
I'm so happy to hear about your date plans. Have a wonderful time!!!

helian - so proud of you with your run! Never mind the time - minor detail.
Now, take good care of your back!!!

jehanne - nice to hear from you:)
Climbing my own stairs only in the house :lol: - DC-ing, putting stuff away, chasing after little people...
That trail sounds wonderful ! Love places like that:)

My numbers are off;
we were away over the weekend - fitbit was charging on Sunday
Sunday: it showed over 4,000 steps
Monday: 6,000 steps - spent with my little people:)
Tuesday: almost 10,000 steps and Pilates class

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:30 am

A quick CI:
I opted for outdoor walking - it was a gorgeous day:
The result: 17,000 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 am

we had a nice time last night. He is lonely, has little to do outside of work.

On th e other hand, I .... .. well we all know I am not short of things to do! I think being a widow may be easier on a woman than a man, partly because there are so many more of us, so we have lots of people in the same situation to share with.

Kitkat, you sure have energy!
I have made the magic 10K 4 days in a row!

Tomorrow I take mother to the dr for check in.

helian

Post by helian » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and good perspective, jehanne and kitkat. I was starting to feel pretty discouraged.
WTG making that magic number so many time, Gma! I hope the appointment goes well.
Wow. That's an impressive step count, kitkat. And you got to enjoy the beautiful day as well!
A new nature trail sounds lovely, jehanne! You made me giggle with your comments about goats and your cow. I can see how 1 or 2 goats would be different than 40. Maybe you better just stay with 1 cow. :wink: Is it a milk cow?
How are you doing CL?

My times this week have been very very slow. I already run super slow, but now it's even slower. Not sure why. Dh has suggested the heat. He says he always runs slower in the summer. How do runners in the more southern/warmer states do it? :?: Maybe your body adjusts? I don't know -- mine sure isn't adjusting. I was encouraged that after I ran the arb hill once yesterday, I didn't feel like I'd gotten much of a work out, even though I was slow, so I turned around and ran it a second time.

My back is slowly getting better!

Exercise Plan for this week - may be in flux a bit.
x M - Jogged flat, 4 miles. Back exercises. Stretches.
OK T - Yoga class - skipped b/c of substitute teacher and back issues. Back exercises. Stretches.
x W - Jogged the arb hill - 2x. Was very slow but fine. Back exercises. Stretches.
Th. - Jog sprints. Back exercises. Stretches.
F - REST DAY Back exercises. Stretches.
Sa. - Jog 9.5 - 10 miles. Back exercises. Stretches.

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:31 pm

helian, take it easy with your back! Good body mechanics can protect you from more sever pain in later years.
kitkat, I alwyas find you amazing!
jehanne, -lovely nature trail! You inspire me to walk outside.
cl, how are you doing? I have tried giving up milk (I know you have talked about that) I notice more energy today after 2 days without it.

yesterday I brewed a ginger tea - WOW it had quite a bite. I thinned it out (diluted it) and added a little honey. Better! The recipe called for 2 inches ginger root, simmered in 1 quart of water 45 - 60 min . Then chill. It is MUCH better this mroning than it was yesterday.

I ate only fruit yesterday. (well, except for a little lunch of wild rice, turkey, and carrots - was a hotdish, also made a good cold "salad") Going to try it again today. So much good fruit around right now!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I LOVE ginger tea Gma - so good for you! I tend to add a touch of lemon and a drop of honey:)

helian slow and steady!
:)

Inspiration for all of us:
http://www.runnersworld.com/general-int ... hon-record

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Just as I finished my post I found this:
:mrgreen:
http://www.thebuddhistchef.com/recipe/ginger-lemonade/

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:41 am

Quick CI:
Thursday: over 12,000 steps plus 1/2 a Sculpt class
(half because of aches and pains: a badly bruised knee and toes, plus back pain - it seemed wiser to cut it short)

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:35 am

Hmmm, I have made >10K every day for 5 in a row! Don't konw how I did it, except for the one day that my car was in the shop and I walked home and back to pick it up when it was done.

that ginger lemonade looks yummy! I love maple syrup in anything!

tomorrow will be mostly sitting, as I am a delegate to a church gathering for 12 hrs. So I better go to bed.
(but had to stop in to see what my she-friends are up to, after spending 12 hrs with my mother.)

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:59 am

sat all day at conference. Still have meade 8000. Hope to get teh last 2k befroe bedtime.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:44 am

Go Gma!

No formal exercise today - but some outdoor walking:
over 12,000 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:27 am

I made it - with 80 to spare per my fitbit!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Nice work Gma!

I can't believe we have not posted for so long...

Sunday: almost 13,000 steps
Monday: almost 12,000 -
No formal exercise - lots of house/yard work