May Day, let your exercise bring you peace, May 8 - 13

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kuruni

May Day, let your exercise bring you peace, May 8 - 13

Post by kuruni » Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!
( removed the non working links and added a new one on top - for a smile :D It's "the walrus workout"
LINKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJl1fu ... re=related (check this out, it will bring you a smile!)

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

kuruni

Re: May Day, let your exercise bring you peace, May 8 - 13

Post by kuruni » Mon May 08, 2017 11:48 am

Hello and Welcome to a new week !

It was a rainy weekend. It is a rainy day today and yet I am totally happy with the weather. Rain = no pollen flight :) and of course rain is good for the plants :)

W: on my 2nd 0,75l bottle of water at work + big cup of herbal tea
A: 10 min halfway to work. 20 min walk during lunch break. Planning to walk back home, so, another 20 min
T: Vitamins, minerals, 1x coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar. Piece of cherry streusel cake, my DS#2’s B-day cake. Lunch: rice pan with meat and veggies. Leftover green bean salad with tomatoes. Dessert: yoghurt. Snack: rice waffles if at all. Dinner: veggie mix or salad with protein.
E: Focus on more exercise ! Drink water !
R: early to bed

Have a nice day and a good start into the new week :)

helian

Post by helian » Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi Kuruni! Thanks for starting off the new week.

I successfully ran 8 miles on Saturday! In fact, I felt very good afterward, and my fastest mile was the last one. I've discovered that water and some sort of energy block or tabs (basically sugar and electrolytes) really help me during the longer runs.

I'd like to add in another regular (non-yoga) barre class to my weekly regime, but this is not a good week b/c I'm so busy. I'm hoping to start that next week.

Exercise this week:
M - jog 4 miles flat; different locale to shake things up
T - yoga @ 5:30
W - jog the arb hill, 1 - 2x, depending on time
Th - jog sprints
F - REST DAY
Sa - Jog 6 or 6.5 miles flat, a medium length
Sun - REST DAY

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 pm

wow, doing great helian!
kuruni, great that you can walk to work and have a walking time midday as well!

I have baked bread and helped my mother - so just a few steps today - but other doing other good things - that's the problem - finding time to fit it all in. Will drive 175 miles later today to pick up my sister at train depot. She will be here for 3 days, so may be of some help for mother.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 am

Thanks for the start kuruni - Cherry streusel cake sounds delicious!:)

helian - WTG on all the training runs!!

Gma - enjoy Dsister's company

Monday:
Almost 11,000 steps (outdoor walking with Dbaby)
Today:
6,000 steps and Pilates class.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed May 10, 2017 4:24 am

kitkat, how fine to be out walking with baby! Seeing the world through the eyes of a baby, seeing it as tho for the first time! What a wonder it is!

helian, keep up the good work!
kuruni, early to bed, enough sleep, is important part of good health.

My walking partner is home from her extended vacation. I got >12000 steps in, with many of them being aerobic. Good to have walking partner back, but she will be ahving surgery in about a week, so I will have to motivate myself for a while.

helian

Post by helian » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Wow, that was a lot of steps yesterday, Gma. Good for you! Enjoy time with your dsis.
You're getting a lot in too, kitkat. It must be more fun with dbaby. :) Pilates is like barre, right? WTG on that class!
Kuruni is reminding me to drink more water.

My weekly plan is still on course. I can tell I'm getting a little better at the yoga class. Today, I'll run the arb hill 1 or 2 times, depending on time and how I feel. I have to do it this afternoon b/c I have a meeting all morning. That will make it a hot run, which will probably slow me down.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 am

helian Pilates is often mentioned on the same page with yoga... and there are similarities :
breathing is used for movement. Yet it is VERY different.
However, I find, that we often use similar muscle groups in Barre and Pilates. (Glutes/core)
Pilates comes in different forms: mat or Reformer (which is a wonderful piece of equipment)
Impressed with your discipline!

Gma - I love walking with them! It may not be as intensive as treadmill walk/jog but I would not trade it for anything:)
Walking and talking with a friend is wonderful but walking alone has its own merits, don't you think? Hope your friend has a quick recovery!

Today: no formal exercise - over 11,000 steps. (Most of it with my older little one)

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 am

helian, the Pilates I have seen requires strength.
kitkat, nothing better than loving family! your grandchildren are blessed to have you
kuruni, how did you do today?

I noticed 9001 steps at 1130 pm, so left the house and went for a 1100 step walk! Not far, about 2 blocks from home and back again. So I made the magic 10k hooray for fitbit! it really is a motivator!

kuruni

Post by kuruni » Thu May 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Gma: WTG on going out in the middle of the night to reach the 10k ! Amazing as I definitely know I would be too lazy to do that.
kitkat: you reach 11k without doing any extra-ordinary exercises lol well done !
Helian: I googled Arb Hill, to understand. WTG !

Last two weeks will be filed under food days lol although I worked in the garden yesterday to relieve a little bit my guilty conscience

W: on my 2nd 0,75l bottle of water at work + big cup of herbal tea
A: 20 min halfway to work. 20 min walk during lunch break. Planning to walk back home, so, another 20 min
T: Vitamins, minerals, 2x coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar. Bread with cheese. Tomatoes. Lunch: Leftovers Potatoes, veggie mix and poultry schnitzel. Dessert: soy yoghurt. Snack: rice waffles if at all. Dinner: veggie mix or salad with protein.
E: Focus on more exercise ! Drink water !
R: early to bed

Have a nice day :)

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu May 11, 2017 3:31 pm

kuruni, It was not "middle of the night" for me! I still had a duffle bag to fix for my son/grandson, and take time to go to my mother's to move clothes from washer to dryer! (She is elderly and does basement steps without great difficulty, so I do her laundry. And we are often both "night owls" for bedtime. But I don't get up until around 9 a.m.

today is exercise class, but dsis is visiting. last time I went to class my body was so tired I didn't get anything else done all day. So today I am not going and instead will do substantial yard work with dsis for Mom. Dig bushes that Mom wants moved and replanted elsewhere.

Does anyone else notice that drinking water increases appetite? It seems like for me it dilutes the electrolytes (excreting in urine through kidneys) which makes me want to eat more to replace them. So I have quit counting water and just drink to thirst.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri May 12, 2017 3:42 am

Gma - I take a water bottle with me - everywhere. Even to my night table. I don't count, just drink as needed. Sometimes, just a sip, sometimes most of the bottle.
kuruni - with increased activity I tend to eat more:)

Today:
I don't have a reliable step count as I could not find my Fitbit for part of the day...
I just know it's more than 6,000 steps.
Did a Barre class and a Sculpt class. (Left a few min. early from the latter)

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 am

UP and down ladder quite a bit today - took down an old (paint peeling) downspout and replaced it with new one. "Only" took me 4 hrs. I am not very good at getting that project done speedily! But it is done and is OK! My step count is only half (5000) of what I want it to be, but I am not going to go outside tonight - I am cold.

helian

Post by helian » Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Oh, sorry, kuruni. What did you find when you googled Arb Hill? I meant the hill in our local arboretum. It's 0.6 miles up. I don't know the altitude change, but it's fairly steep, moreso in some places along the path.

Be careful on the ladder, Gma. My dad was working at a camp last summer as part of his church's camp repair ministry group, and he fell off a ladder and hurt himself pretty badly. I think ladder steps should count double. :)
I'm impressed you did two classes in one day, kitkat. Both @ a barre studio?

You all are reminding me to be conscientious about drinking water. I'm not very good at that. Even as a child, I wasn't good about drinking enough. My body doesn't register thirst until it's pretty severe, so I've always struggled to stay hydrated. I've noticed with the longer runs staying hydrated is important to my performance and how I feel.

You're also reminding me that I have yardwork waiting to be done. :)

At some point, my body actually starts to crave a good workout, so exercise can become almost addictive. It's so counter-intuitive given that there are times in every work out that I feel uncomfortable or even in pain (mild).

However, today is a rest day for me. I'll run 6 or 6.5 miles tomorrow. I'll go to WW this morning and see what they think. I'm at a healthy weight (have I already said that here?) but could still stand to lose a few pounds, imho. Besides, it would help me with my running.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello, everyone! :D Sorry to be so slack on posting... haven't been online much.

I hear y'all about the water-drinking. I tend to let myself get quite dry before I think of drinking. But I do better if I keep a glass of water handy... I tend to sip away at it. My urine stays pretty clear then... they say that is the best way to know if you are drinking enough. :mrgreen:

Helian, after your comment back to Kuruni, I had to google Arb HIll. Found out that it is an uphill run to an arboretum in Ann Arbor, of nearly 6 miles. Take your decimal out, and yours sounds like the same thing! :lol: http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/ann-arbor-mi ... e-30233826 (turns out there are shorter versions, but this is the one I first saw)

Gma, yes, be careful on ladders. At the same time, I have to admire you! I can't picture myself doing that-- if there isn't a man around to do it for me, it probably just wouldn't get done! Good for you, getting after it and gettin'er done!! 8)

Kitkat, talking about your g'babies makes me miss mine! But some of them will be up this weekend for Mother's Day. :D

Kuruni, we are having rain here, too. Need to do yard work-- DH is mowing in the rain, but I don't think I will be weeding or trimming today. :? We've had some flooding last week from all the rain. Hoping it won't do that again.

Mon: Went to seed festival, walked there. 8000 steps
Tues: mini T-tapp, 6500 steps
Wed: 5200 steps
Thurs: shopping, 8200 steps

helian

Post by helian » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 pm

LOL jehanne! You ladies are too smart. Yes, it is the arboretum in Ann Arbor!! That's where I live. The hill itself is 0.6 miles one direction, but the entire run is 6 miles. I think it's a circle. I've never done that run, but you've made me curious. Maybe I"ll do it someday. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow; I'm doing a 6/ 6.5 mile run tomorrow. The hill would cause me to lean toward 6 miles.

When I run the arb hill, I start at a different entrance to the arboretum, closer to the hill. (I think the other run actually starts in the park across the RR tracks.) If I run the hill 2x (up and down 2x), it's a 3.5 mile run. Once -- I make it a 2.33 mile run.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat May 13, 2017 3:23 am

Gma - I've said it many times: you're an inspiration!
But please be careful on that ladder.

helian - no, those are two separate locations (and times) - it would be too easy under the same roof... ( I knew today I would not be able to go, so I didn't mind doubling up.)
I think you've earned that rest day!

jehanne your numbers are going up... Enjoy the little ones!

Friday:
no formal exercise (LOTS of housework though) - 5,000 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 am

gals, I am so safe on my ladder! I do not even step on the first step until I am sure it is solid and secure. Then I check it with stepping on the first step to make sure that it is solid when I am going up. This was just a short ladder - hardly more than a step stool. I only has 3 steps and a tray. Plus a handle to hold on to. Just the thing for safety. And I was solidly on my cement patio. I also have 6' and 8' ladders at home, 6', 8', and 10 ' at the cabin. plus an extension ladder that is too heavy for me to move without help. I have been climbing trees since before I was 10, and ladders since we bought this house when I was 30.

Tomorrow I will get my walk in with a purpose - my mother's car is at the shop to be cleaned. I checked it with my car - it is 1.7 miles away. I regularly walk 2-3 miles at the track. So I should be able to walk to pick it up! Now that would be healthy multi-tasking! :mrgreen: And the food co-op grocery store is half way, so there is a place to stop for a drink and bathroom if needed.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 pm

uffdah! my mom's car was cleaned in prep for selling it. My fitbit told me it was 1.9 mile walk. It is 90 degrees outside! Glad I borught a bottle of water. Shjould have thought to put on shorts instead of jeans!

I am over 9800 steps at this pooint in the day.
and tired!

Gma

Post by Gma » Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 am

trying to avoid a headache from being outside in that heat - 1 cup orange juice (for potassium), 1 cup water (for water :lol: ) 1/2 tsp salt (for sodium and chloride electrolytes) and a magnesium tablet.
may have to repeat - but the tub/shower may be of help also. And my nose is alternating between stuffy and runny out of control, so I might be heading to the store for Airborne