Roll On October 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Roll On October 2018

Post by Gma » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:58 am

Thanks, flyin kiwi for a good title for the month! And what a great September you had!
Smile*lee, you be careful - those planks are a really difficult exercise!
edium, cheers for anticipating a good month
kitkat, you can do it! You have such a great spirit!
Butterfly, have a good month, doing the best you can.
alley, cheers! You make each day count!
helian, I hope you stop by and check in too.

and me: I am heading to Israel in just a few days, so you will have to get along without me. My siblings are coming to be with mother.

Doodle Do

Re: Roll On October 2018

Post by Doodle Do » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi all,

I’m so ready for Fall so that’s a great title flyin Kiwi.

GMA have a wonderful trip and safe travels.

I will go back and catch up with everyone’s September but dare not sit for too long now as I might not get up again.

The summer involved lots of swimming and walking and few miles running.

Sadly the 3 mile open water swim I had trained so hard for got canceled due to Florence and changed to a mile pool swim (it was still a great event with lots of money raised for cancer research). I had to do that 3 mile swim so the weekend before the rescheduled event I got in the 50 meter out door pool at my local Y and swam non stop until I’d done the distance. Slow but done :lol:

Now I have to start building up the running miles as I have a half marathon in early December.

I’m aiming for 12000 steps a day in October.

Off for a short run now as it’s cooled off a bit.

jehanne2

Post by jehanne2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:41 am

Hello, friends! Sorry to have been AWOL so long. Have been trying to catch up on some necessary decluttering. Still not done, so my posting may be spotty. Glad to see so many of you still at it! :)

My favorite exercise guru, Teresa Tapp, passed away Sept. 20th. She had beat breast cancer 10 years ago, but it came back in her liver. She thought it was just gall bladder issues, but collapsed one day and passed away a few days later. She was such an inspiration to me, that I decided to honor her memory by doing at least some T-tapp every day for the rest of 2018 (100 days). So far, I have kept up with it, and have added hoe-downs every evening, along with other T-tapp friends.

Gma, I saw your post that you are headed for Israel! How exciting! We have been there, and it was wonderful! God be with you in your travels, and I hope to hear about it when you return. :D

helian

Post by helian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I really need to get back into exercising. Thanks for the reminder, Gma! And have a fabulous trip!!
I'll join you in trying to get in more running, Doodle -- but much shorter distances.
Nice to see you jehanne. Sorry to hear about Teresa Tapp. I think I actually have one of her videos. You've set up a nice challenge for yourself in her memory.

My running has really tanked the last 2 months b/c of a heavier than usual work schedule. I've been very clear about my hours for the next session + 1 teacher is returning from a month long break, so I'm expecting a much lighter schedule, starting next week. Now that it's cooler, I can be more flexible as to when I run -- no restrictions to do it as early as possible to avoid the heat -- which will also help. I'm hoping to get in more exercise this month.

This summer, Dh started having back + shooting pain problems when he runs, and after some PT and an MRI, he's learned that he has a bit of a herniated disc and some bone degeneration. So, he can't run long distances anymore. He's grieving that fact. No more marathons for him. He was signed up for Chicago again this fall. No go. Then, he signed up for the Detroit half marathon when he realized something was wrong and he couldn't train long enough for the marathon. No go. A half marathon might be possible for him in the future, but he's not sure. He's still running, just much shorter distances, but he's bought a bike and has also started swimming again. I'm afraid I'm slowly losing my running accountability partner. :(

I'm not sure how exercise will play out this week. It's not clear that I'll have time before Friday, which is usually my rest day.

XT - jogged 3 miles
W - will I have time to jog? Or go to the gym? Not sure
Th - can I squeeze in a jog in the a.m. before I meet dfriend B for walking at noon?
F - Rest Day - unless I can't exercise W and Th
Sat. - Jog 4.5 - 5 miles

edium

Post by edium » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 pm

WooHoo ! Serious fitness ladies here to start the month ! I'll sneak in and hope a bit rubs off on me. :wink:
I am very impressed with the achievements and in sympathy with the set backs. Long on sympathy, short on posting time this a.m.

I have managed to continue over 10,000 each day until yesterday. Not sure what excuse to use but I ended up 1200 steps shy of the goal. I'll do extra today. Wonder if I will get around to weaving in the plank program this week as planned. :? :mrgreen:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 pm

Oh my goodness!!!
Look at you all!!!
Doodle AND jehanne? How nice to see you both
Sorry to hear about Teresa Tapp. I can't think of a better way to honour her!

helian - sorry to hear about DH's troubles... Things can change. Hope he can work with a PT who can help .
edium - keep up the good work!
Gma - wishing you a wonderful trip!

I was away for a few days. Weather/circumstances kept me at 6,500 steps a day.
Aiming for min. 10,000 /day for October... There will be days when I can't pull that off - I'll try to balance it out on the others.

edium

Post by edium » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Ok, Kit. You can do this !
Made it past the 11,000 count yesterday.

Having a circuit in my house seems to make it much easier. I can read on my tablet while walking ( which has the advantage of also making me more mindful of my posture and which muscle group I am purposefully tensing ) and I am more willing to do it as I use it for a timed "break" from the stress of decluttering or other housework/life needs.

On we go !

edium

Post by edium » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Just over 12,000 steps yesterday !

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:54 pm

:D you are all going great guns!

see you all when I get back....
just don't have time to post, focus is on packing and arranging things for Mother
and I have a nice date tonight :-) with MrVKM, who I have been seeing now for over a year :)

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:37 am

Enjoy Date, enjoy Trip Gma! :mrgreen:
WTG edium
Hope you keep posting Doodle, jehanne, helian and Smile.Lee :D

8,000 seems like my current average

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Happy Sunday all,

Jehanne I need to learn more about Teresa Tapp, your challenge is a nice way to honor her.
Well done Edium!
Hi KitKat, that’s my approach to, some days I just can’t hit my goal but over the week I try and average 12,000 a day.
Helian, I hope DH’s pain subsides and he can eventually get out and do some running all be it shorter distances if that’s his happy place! It can be hard fitting exercise in when work and home get busy!
GMA have a safe trip.

I swam this morning which means I have done three short swims this week and I got a 9 mile run in yesterday. I should get to 12,000 steps today by the time I have walked the dog later and pottered around in doors.

edium

Post by edium » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Gma, Kit and Doodle !

I managed over 10,000 steps both Fri and Sat. so a successful week. Closer to it being a habit again. The best part is I am seeing a definite change back to familiar in my metabolism !!! Major Happy Dance :!: :!:
I am having more lower back pain that has to be worked out in the morning. What I have found relevant to this is insufficient Vita D ( which my last blood test, 18 months ago, did show ), and proper muscle exercise. So plank routine starts today... as soon as I talk myself into it. :oops: :mrgreen:

Doodle where do you swim ? Huge kudos on a 9 mile run! I gotta get another dog !

That is a great average for maintenance Kit ! You have always been soooo active, it can't hurt too much to maintain for a bit while you adjust to other life changes.

Hope you have a great trip Gma !!!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement edium -
I LOVE seeing your numbers! I might have to plank along :mrgreen: Planks used to be my favourite exercise...
Doodle - wonderful - but you ALWAYS did great!

Yesterday over 10,000 steps in the drizzle. :D

edium

Post by edium » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:32 pm

In a drizzle Kit ? ! Maybe I'll walk in place in the shower for a bit just to experience how dedicated you are. :lol: When I had a Ddog to walk (lived in a city) I would walk in all kinds of weather. Those days are over! Maybe.... :roll: :mrgreen:

Managed over 11,000 steps yesterday. I will set that as my new baseline this week.
Meanwhile, these are my picks for planking for awhile. No, I cannot do these for the times and no breaks as they do on the videos. I will start with :05 sec for each of their :30 sec. Hopefully it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks or so to work up to following the video as is. Or maybe a month ? When they begin to be too boring I will look again. And that is what I did yesterday, decide and save the url's for these. :oops: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDWtYsu1dQ (5 minute plank better than cardio ) Truly starts at min 1:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUw0YsrmSg (3 minute plank workout )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDaXSXjuGc (I HATE planks )

edium

Post by edium » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Over 11,800 Tue as well. Now to get those planks up to speed...
and I am posting ! Accountability. :mrgreen:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 am

Posting is most important edium - keeps us on top of this! WTG.
I used to love running in a drizzle...

No fancy planks for me... I'll wait a week or two to get started with them.

Yesterday 9,000 steps
today: over 12,500

(I forgot Monday's ) :oops:

How is everyone else doing?

edium

Post by edium » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Hooray Kit ! Did you do anything special to run your step count up ?

As for fancy planks, Ummm… I quit planking back when because it just got too boring. I have a bit of a problem with that. Have to mix my exercise as, at least nominally a useful life style activity. Not routine! So I figure with several suggestions of plank derivations once I work up to the suggested times, I will have other things to keep me doing them. :wink:

Meanwhile I had 12,400+ steps yesterday also. But I mowed the lawn ( and picked up fallen limbs from large oak trees to be able to mow ).

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I try to get out for (long and slow) morning walks with Dfriend, edium
Had about 5,000 yesterday... (did not get to walk... :oops: ) Heading out soon:)
WTG on your count.

Walked for 2,5 hours on trail with hills - minus Fitbit:) Then I put it on- and did housework - and 3,000 steps :mrgreen:

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Well done on the steps KitKat and Edium.

I should incorporate planks again :roll:

I met a friend in NYC at the beginning of the week which resulted in 30,000 steps for the day but completely threw my week off. I managed to get two swims in this week and a run on Monday but Thursday’s run just didn’t happen. I was tired and it was so hot and humid I just didn’t have it in me. I think I got about 5000 steps for the day.

It’s finally cooled down now and the humid has gone so I’m letting the rain pass and then I will head out for a run.

While I wait for the rain to stop I will do some housework!!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:21 am

Doodle - it balances . Those 30,000 steps built your endurance. Rest is also necessary. :)
Speaking of housework:
I got 6,000 steps just doing that! Up and down the stairs... I did not even get out of the house yesterday... :lol:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 am

Outdoor walk today ; 10,000 + steps!

How is Everyone else?

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Good Tuesday morning, SHE Shapers!

I've been doing well with getting in one round of daily PT exercises. This week, going to get more serious about getting 2 rounds in a day - per PT instructions. The walks have been hit & miss. I usually get in about 4 a week. Not good enough! I WILL do better!

edium

Post by edium » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Hooray Kit, Doodle and Smilee !

After announcing how well I was doing I pulled my usual self rebellious thing and have barely made it to 9,000 steps Mon and Tues with not even a glance at my pad for planking ! :oops: It is still tucked neatly away by my desk gathering dust.

Now that that is admitted for accountability and to horrify myself into better behavior,
Onward and Upward !