Sparkle in September

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Re: Sparkle in September

Post by Gma » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:57 am

kitkat, you bring a sparkle to all you do :D

my mom is doing waay too much. and asking me to help her with it - which means either I am doing too much or I am facilitating her overdoing it. I am giving her fewer pian pills and her energy level has increased dramatically - although I cannot reflect on that with her, because she immediately tells me how much pain she is in. Which is no different from when she was taking the previous dose.

I have well over 9K again today - can't quite seem to find time to get that last little bit to make 10K. But did officially 'walk' with my walking partner for a while today.

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 pm

mid afternoon - i have been trimming trees and bushes for mother, plus one large evergreen for her neighbor. I am already at 7500 without any effort!
maybe I will make the magic 10k today!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

Gma thanks for the sweet words:)
- I got myself off pain meds when I discovered that breathing through the pain brings me better results than hoping the pill will get rid of it.
I saw no point to the meds after that...
It's wonderful that your dmom is trying to stay active!
WTG on those numbers!

Today: I'll be over 7,000 - took a nice walk with DD near the lake.

edium

Post by edium » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Hooray KitKat and Gma for the continued mindfulness of fitness ! You ladies are an inspiration with the constancy of your posts and efforts.

I am especially thankful for this as I have made a bit of a breakthrough. Of the last 6 days ( M - Th ) I logged over 11,000 steps on the old Omron ! ( Mon I was 297 steps short of 11,000 ). I have noticed slight improvements in a few things that were beginning to really bother me. Enough to keep me focused on increasing efforts !
Perhaps starting to add planks again this week ? :?

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I would love to add planks, edium - they help me feel strong. We can try... I may have to take 3 steps back on them...
WTG on those numbers. You have been a lot more consistent lately!!!

Today, a pleasant surprise: I was able to complete our annual charity walk. (10 K) - total step count : over 21,000

Flyin-kiwi

Post by Flyin-kiwi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 pm

It’s been a few days since I posted, I got busy then the weather packed up. We are in NC, didn’t lose power or get floods here where we live but there was a bit of rain. The gym closed on Friday and didn’t reopen until Sunday afternoon.
I have a few very slow, low steps days to catch up on.
I did use my time wisely, I was sewing for my grandson. :D
I finally got to the gym today and put in twice the distance.
September total 142,681 to 9/16

Have a great week everyone

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 am

kiwi, you are amazing! Great steps. And sewing for grandson is wonderful! I sewed for my niece, but my son (or his wife?) didn't want me sewing anything for his son. But I get to mend things now and then n :wink: I had 13000 one day at cabin on weekend, forgot to wear Omron other day and felt like I was busier! then today I had a "quiet" day - 5 hrs in car for trip to cabin and back. still had 7000 steps without any effort.

I am heading to Israel/ Holy Land with a group in just 3 weeks! We have been told we need to be prepared to walk 5-8 miles a day. I think I can do that. Only concern is if it is too sunny. I even had trouble in afternoons when I took ds to amusement park for a day, or the zoo if it was hot. I will bring a hat which should help some.

Flyin-kiwi

Post by Flyin-kiwi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Way to go KitKat, 10k charity walk is no small effort.
Gma, isn’t it always the way, the day the pedometer is forgotten or the fitbit is on charge, we are busier than ever. The 5-8 miles per day will be definitely be a bit of a challenge in the heat. Remember to drink your water to stay hydrated and keep slapping on plenty of sunscreen. Maybe wear a light weight, cotton, long sleeve shirt to keep the sun from burning you.

Yesterday in my efforts to catch up on my self imposed goal I outdid myself. I also slept like a log last night. Maybe I need more days like yesterday.
I’m about to head to the gym shortly to put in another solid effort.
Steps 14,578
September total 157,259 to 9/17

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:58 am

Gma enjoy the trip!
Impressive record Flkiwi
I had no idea you were a grandma, too :)
Monday: over 6,000 steps (I don't have the exact count)
Today:
over 9,500 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 am

today I found my missing fitbit! yaay except now I don't konw where the charger is and of course it is totally dead!
7k on my omron.
busy cleaning at my house, along with helping my mother.

Flyin-kiwi

Post by Flyin-kiwi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Way to go KitKat on those steps 9500 is not to be sneezed at.
Gma good that you found your Fitbit, i upgraded mine to a newer model. I still have the older one, I think DH wants to use it, keeping track of the charger and dongle are a pain.

Yesterday she steps 12,351
September total 169,610 to 9/18

Today I’m hoping DH gets the lawn mower fixed so I can cut the jungle out back, will definitely be headed to the gym later as well.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 am

Thanks Flkiwi

House cleaning/cooking today: 4,700 steps... a lot for the house :shock: but insignificant otherwise...

Flyin-kiwi

Post by Flyin-kiwi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Yeterday I cut the grass, it darn near killed me
10866 steps half while pushing the mower with a defective self drive.
I had to have a swim afterwards, I think that might be the last swim for the season.(at least until I cut the grass again)
September total 180,746 to 9/19

Flyin-kiwi

Post by Flyin-kiwi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:20 pm

House work and the gym yesterday pushed me over my daily goal.
11865 steps
September total 192,611 to Sept 20
Tomorrow I have a big day driving 6 hours in total so I might be pressed to get near my goal

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Great numbers, Flkiwi
Thursday:
around 8,000 steps
Friday; 13,000

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 am

great numbers all!
I had only 5k; then mother wanted to go hsopping at Kohl's - so I did my walking there! After multiple laps around the perimete while she shopped, I came home with 11,000! And she has $50 Kohl's cash to spend on Monday, so she can go back to the store.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Happy Saturday everyone! It is a great day to be grateful that we can move.

I have already been to the walking track, done >8000 steps. Had a very nice visit with my walking partner, who has vacation property in the path of Hurricane Florence, but thinks it is still standing. They are leaving to inspect in a week or so. They have good insurance, and will volunteer instead of just vacation.
Heading to store to exchange a couple items cz they now have the right color in stock (I bought the wrong color to get the sale price.)

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 am

Quick CI only:
6,500 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:31 am

that's a nice day, kitkat.

I did >13,000 today. it was nice to get my walk in early in teh morning. All the rest of the day was "bonus"

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Just the way I like it Gma:)

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Sparkle Greetings to all!

Going to try and get back into a little bit of SHE forum connections this week. I'm doing well. The brace is uncomfortable at times but tolerable. I added another little block to my walk yesterday. Going to add in an evening walk this week. G has been going with me in the morning and my neighbors like to go with me when he's not around. They're in their 70's, retired, good shape, and sweetly protective of me. They don't like me going out by myself even if I take a cell phone.

PT exercises are going well. Supposed to be doing them 2 x day, which I get in most days.

Saw the neurologist a couple of weeks ago. Bone shape looks the same on this x-ray. That's a good thing. Just keep doing what I'm doing. Half way through with the brace!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 pm

We can get back in shape Smile.Lee - I'm happy to see you here. :D
Nice to have neighbours looking out for you:)
I've been hanging on, and kept posting even on low days... - just to make sure I don't let it all go. It's been a rough summer health wise, but we'll get there! Just came back from a walk, spent the rest of the day in the kitchen, so only
5,600 steps. (Ok, the day is not over) :mrgreen:

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks, kit! Sorry you've had a challenging summer, healthwise. Hope you are coming out on the other end of whatever it was you were dealing with.

Gma ~ having done the Israel trip in June --- it's not just 5 - 8 miles. It's 5 - 8 miles up and down, up and down, up and down. Even the old city is hilly. We hiked up and down small mountains, hiked out of a canyon, hiked up to Masada. Start working on some squats if you're not walking up any hills. Our tour guide suggested electrolytes since our temps were around 90 midday. Mid October will be cooler, so you might not need them. I'd take some just in case. This is what I took. Hammer Nutrition - Endurolytes I took a couple before a hike - a couple whenever I felt a little puny - and a couple after. I was amazed at how effective they were on recovery.

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 am

Great info, Smile*lee! I may start wlaking to my mother's house - at lease once a day - she is up hill from me. We have a hilly town. I walk her dog up hill and down at times. Like the idea of electrolytes! didn't konw there were capsules/tablets. I will send you a pm, requesting ideas for what to pack, and what/ where to buy souveniers.

edium

Post by edium » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm

I am setting a goal of posting on these forums at least once a day again. Life always seems to go better when I do. Hi ya'll !

Last week I kept more than 10,000 steps per day (with a day over 12K and 2 days over 11K ) but I slipped on Sat and lazed around for some reason. So yesterday I managed 9,000 and am on track for a renewed push to make the 5 digit counts habit !
Have not yet incorporated planks. But am pleased to see that the scale is down again instead of just maintaining an inadequate loss from changing diet alone. And my pants fit just a skosh better. I feel as though I am on track at last !

Onward and upward !