Jiggle Giggle Wiggle July 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Jiggle Giggle Wiggle July 2018

Post by Gma » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 am

I hope the title brought a big grin!

SUMMER IS A WONDERFUL TIME TO INCREASE ACTIVITY AND IMPROVE HEALTH

The year is half over, and it is time for mid-year resolutions! :D

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, to do more.
State your exercise plans each week
Post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans.
Be realistic in your goals. No pain- no gain is a fallacy. if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps!
Walk 5 minutes away from home and return. Or even just 3 minutes each way if 5 is too much. Aim for 30 minutes a day - if you don't have 30 minutes all at once, the research says 10 minutes, 3x a day also provides benefits.
Weight bearing (e.g. walking) enough to raise your heartbeat provides brain benefit as well as heart benefit.
A time and a place to cheer ourselves on and be proud!

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Re: Jiggle Giggle Wiggle July 2018

Post by Smile*Lee » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Jiggle Giggle Wiggle :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm working on eliminating 2 of those!!!

Can't wait to come back and post steps from Israel trip! :shock: 8) :lol:

edium

Post by edium » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Need more emojis on this board. ROFL is the one I am thinking of... I don't wiggle, I am giggling at your title and that is causing :shock: jiggling ! :shock: Very distressing since I am down another half pound ( can't even imagine thinking of body weight in 'stones' )

Looking forward to hearing about your 'steps' in Israel, Smilee ! Will it sound like fantasy though it is reality I wonder ? We can compare them with Gma's at the end of Oct. 8)

I have managed to up my steps nearly daily and averaging a week, almost to my goal. But I obviously need more weight bearing/muscle building moves. Gotta get the giggle without the jiggle! :wink:

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:00 am

no step counting today- didn't wear my omron
ate supper at Cracker BArrel; Mom and dsis shopped while I walked around outside - for quite a while.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks for the start - Wow, your dmom LOVES shopping, Gma!

Have a wonderful trip SmileLee
edium! - you're back - wonderful!

Fitbit is driving me to tears... It's now tracking my steps but it is not keeping a record... Oh well:
today 7,000 steps - with the crazy heat we've had, I'll take it.
No classes yet this week, except for a yoga class on Sunday.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Howdy! Back with step counting!

kit ~ I've already been and back! :mrgreen:

edium ~ Get going on that weight-bearing! You'l be so glad you did. Just start out light and slow - but consistent. It does add up.

Gma ~ do you have a fave at Cracker Barrel? I liked their campfire meals last year but it looks like they've changed them. Haven't tried them yet.

Here are some of our more physical days in Israel. Seriously, it was almost every day. Omg.... Some days, I know I would've wanted to kill myself if I hadn't been working out. And the heat was in the 90's. Had to take electrolytes to keep from feeling puny. The steps are counted through my Apple health app. My friend, who also has that, sometimes counted several hundred more steps more than mine. :shock: I had no idea that Israel was so hilly and mountainous! It was up and the whole time - even in the old city of Jerusalem.

11,359 - 4.5 mi - 19 floors

7.390 - 2.8 mi - 41 floors -- climbing out of a canyon :shock: This was a toughie - after visiting 2 wineries. :lol:

8, 484 - 3.3 mi - 33 floors - This might've been Masada. Bragging a little bit on myself -- I made it up first - a breeze - and was a good 5 minutes ahead of the person behind me! :mrgreen: All those workouts paying off!

9.731 - 4.2 mi - 14 floors

16,066 - 7.1 mi - 37 floors

14,375 - 6.3 mi - 31 floors

13,317 - 6.2 mi - 25 floors

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Great numbers, SmileLee :)
Good thing you are in shape!

Thursday: my first Sculpt class (mini weights, but still!) - around 7,000 steps

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Smiles: Welcome back from Israel! Was it as great (holy, faith building) as everyone says?
I have so many favs at Cracker Barrel. BP biscuits are always so good htere.

Still haven't found my fitbit. probably gone forever, and i may need to get a new one. She friends probably know that is how to find the old one! :lol: I find that things often reappear when I have given up. Do you find that too?

Many flights of stairs at my house yesterday - I defrosted the basement extra fridge/ freezer that is not self defrosting - by design- it doesnot deyhdrate thigs, and is good storage to prevent nuts and flour from becoming rancid. And for keeping apples longer in the autumn.
I will walk the 1/2 mile to mother's today - as my car is there. AndI am at my house, and enjoyed sleeping in my own bed!

best wishes kitkat as you start doing weights
edium, I hope you can maintain your weight. Do you know what the foundation of the problem is?

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Gma wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 pm
Smiles: Welcome back from Israel! Was it as great (holy, faith building) as everyone says?
It was truly amazing, but also kind of hard to describe. It's like seeing the Grand Canyon in a picture - 2D - and then going to see it in real life - 3D. No picture can quite accurately describe it. It's given my faith experience another dimension. Through my life as a Christian, people would tell me to read things in historical context, but I always blew that off - till I was actually there being taught by someone who was an expert in places, and history, geography, and biblical studies. And all those aspects and details give it even more dimension.

kit ~ wtg on getting in on the weights! As you know, the older we get, the more important they are.

Did my workout this morning -- power plate, :15 treadmill, weights.
Forgot to say -- on Wednesday -- G and I did a 13-mile round trip bike ride on the rail trail. I'm great on the way up. The way back can be brutal.

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 pm

wow and DOUBLE WOW!!! That's quite a bike trip! I think I would have difficulty (my quadriceps would have difficulty) going a mile on the flat!

doing my K floor on hands/ knees. Does that count for something?

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 pm

It IS pretty flat here in east/central Illinois. Even at that, 13 miles is no joke. :lol: The first couple of times I only went half way. There's a little town at the end with several restaurants, so we often stop for 20 or 30 minutes for an ice tea, sometimes for a bite to eat. It's a nice break before heading back.

Cleaning the kitchen floor on hands and knees? YES! That definitely counts for something!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 am

Quick CI:
12,000 steps and 25 min. spinning

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Today’s hike: :mrgreen:
3.8 miles
10,513 steps
15 floors

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

WONDERFUL, Smile.Lee :mrgreen:

Taking a day off today. Felt like I needed it.:)

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Got a call from the kids on the way home from the hike, so we ended up going over for lunch, and then a walk to the park. That added a few more steps to the count - a wee tad over 13,000! woohoo! I'm definitely going to have to get me a fitbit or something like that. I like this step counting.

After all the hiking and biking the past few weeks, I'm surprised how SORE I am this morning. Yesterday was a different sort of hike - through an old mining area turned into state park. The trails have sharp ups, downs, and curves through woods. Today will definitely be a day of rest.

edium

Post by edium » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 pm

My step count has stayed up. I have decided after talking to a few more people that have had Fitbits for a few years that I will stick with my Omron. When it dies I will replace it with an upgraded model. I find I am best with the simplest devices. :mrgreen:

Weight bearing is easy this week and 1/2 of last week. Moving all items that have no permanent home in my house into a storage unit until I can
make/do the necessary repairs/maintenance and create permanent homes for what I use and want to keep. Which means I am hauling boxes up to 50 lbs. down stairs, out to my SUV and then onto shelves in the storage unit. :wink:

I have lost a pound a week for the last 3 weeks so that stall in over I hope. Unfortunately it has not shown in my once upon a time waistline yet. ( Yes, I want immediate gratification). :lol:

As for the foundational cause of the problem, Gma ... ? I wish I did know. My PCM claims it is "just due to aging" ( doesn't explain the onset being all in 2 months Nov/Dec 2015) and I have not found another Dr. around here who will look further. My research looks like thyroid or adrenals with possible disfunction of liver. ? Probably a mix of several things. I am trying to feel as though I have the funds to pay out of pocket for a functional medicine Dr. and testing to delineate and outline a good treatment protocol. Meanwhile I will keep on with keepin' on. The trying to stick with a fusion of 'whole foods'/paleo nutrition seems to be helping at least hold the line for now. :? Any suggestions ?

Hi again to everyone else... thanks for being here and being an example and encouragement !

helian

Post by helian » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Woohoo Smile Lee! You did great on your trip! Dh has been wanting to take me to Israel for some time now, and I've been saying "no." You're inspiring me to rethink that answer. WTG with your fun activity yesterday too.
WTG edium with your step count and consistently losing weight!
Sorry about your fitbit, kitkat. Has it straightened itself out yet?
Gma, you're inspiring the way you keep so active in your day-to-day life. Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm not sure I posted here last week? It was a very hot week, and I felt frustrated and grumpy b/c running outside has been so difficult with the heat - and I had a super-scheduled weekend so couldn't fit it in at a time when temps were acceptable. Acceptable running temps now mean under 80 -- though under 75 is better and I greatly prefer under 70. I ran today in temps around 75 - 77, and it was OK. Anyhow, this week should be better.

Exercise Plan July 9 - 15
X M. - Jog 4 miles flat
T - Jog 3 miles flat
W - Yoga @ 12; walk?
Th. - Jog the hill x 1.5 or 2
F. - Rest from jogging; maybe walk or do upper body work at the gym.
Sa. - Try a longer jog, 6 or 6.5 miles flat
Sunday - REST DAY!

Back Exercises (daily):
Shoulder Exercises (twice):

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:30 am

Hi helian and edium :mrgreen: Waving to gma and Smile.Lee

I figured out the Fitbit issue! Bluetooth was off :roll: How annoying!

Sunday 5,000 steps -yoga
Monday: 9,300 steps

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Hey Y'all!

helian ~ We had such a great tour guide that was familiar with a lot of different aspects - history, culture, biblical, geographical, archeological, Palestinian/West Bank, Israeli. That's what made the different for me - giving me more understanding of the area, the people, the history. Our tour guide is great friends with one of the oldest families in the old city. They own their shop (which I think is unusual) and live above it. They've been there for 9 generations - 388 years! Wow!

edium ~ hope you get some answers about your condition. Sometimes, that stuff is so hard to nail down. Gonna have to look up Omrom.

haha, kit! Technology! Solutions are easy - once you find them! :mrgreen:

My last post was for Saturday.
Monday - weight work on the Keiser Infinity trainer- pretty cool! It uses a lot more muscles with every exercise. :15 treadmill
Wednesday - power plate, regular weights

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 am

SmileLee - you are on a roll! WTG

Tuesday - no Fitbit- Pilates class
Wednesday: yoga in the park, :30 elliptical, 10,000 steps :mrgreen:

Editing to add today's:

Thursday: Sculpt class - 7,100 steps

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:12 am

WTG, kit! I need to get back to the elliptical. Yoga in the park sounds lovely!

No exercise today.
Tomorrow -- a friend is intrigued about our bike trips on the bike rail trail, which we'll be doing in the morning. She'll be here at 6:45. :shock: We should be able to make it back before it gets too hot.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:01 am

Your bike trail sounds so good, SmileLee - even more fun with company.
The crazy heat is interfering with outdoor activities... but:

Friday: Spin class and 6,000 steps.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Cooler here today, kit. How about you?

Checking in to get credit for another rail trail ride. This one wasn't quite so brutal. We started out earlier, so it was a bit cooler. I also didn't do much bike sprinting like I usually do. We got back just as a bad storm rolled in. It got in the area a lot quicker than my weather app said this morning. G was on his way to find us when we pulled on to our street. Then we had a nice time watching rain and thunder and lightning over the pond.

helian

Post by helian » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Being active with a friend is the best, Smile Lee! Israel sounds so interesting!!
We're struggling with the heat and humidity here too, kitkat. Temps aren't super high, mid-80s, but it feels like a sauna out there with the humidity.

OK, here's what really happened exercise-wise this week.

Exercise Reality July 9 - 15
X M. - Jogged 4 miles flat
X T - Jogged 3 miles flat
X W - Yoga @ 12
X Th. - Jogged for 30 minutes in the neighborhood b/c of time constraints. Our neighborhood is hilly, so I count it as a hill run. There's a reason I go down to the trails by the river to jog rather than jogging in our neighborhood. . .
X F. - Rest Day
X Sa. - Jogged/walked 6 miles flat. It was hot and humid and I was already tired b/c of other things going on . . I jogged a total of 4 miles and walked about 2. Walking largely happened after the turn around point. Also, someone took the bottle of water dh had set out for me to gather near my turn around point. It was labelled so anyone could know that it was not litter and that it was intended to hydrate a runner and that the runner would dispose of it properly. I found it unopened in a nearby garbage can. :roll: THAT pretty much clinched the fact that I was not going to do 6 miles. Not on a day like today with no water. . .
Sunday - REST DAY!

Back Exercises (daily):M, T, W, Th, F, Sa
Shoulder Exercises (twice): Um, still waiting. LOL!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 pm

We are waiting for rain, SmileLee - although it won't get cooler until about Tuesday...
WTG with those rides!!

helian - you are doing great - despite the weather!

I'm taking my day of rest today. Walked around with the little ones but it was not that much. (over 5,000 steps - day is not over yet)
Now, there was a time when I managed a workout each day... but I'm not complaining. :mrgreen: