Magically Maintain your health & exercise in May 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gma

Magically Maintain your health & exercise in May 2018

Post by Gma » Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Here we go ladies! It has been a long winter for those of us in the North! Ice was still on the lakes yesterday - it takes focus and dedication to exercise outside when it is cold.
The snow is gone, the sun is beaming those wonderful natural Vitamin D rays even for us in the northern latitudes.

So lets all get out and work on those steps - walking, running, marathon prepping -
and those exercise classes for strength and flexibility.

post your plans, your successes, your attempts, and thoughts for overcoming challenges.
post healthy menus, share foods and ideas you like to inspire us
and cheer one another on

Have an all around great month!

kitkat

Re: Magically Maintain your health & exercise in May 2018

Post by kitkat » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Gma - thank you for the start and the (most appropriate) title! :D
Here is to a healthy May!

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks for starting us off Gma.

Today I swam before work and I am heading out with my four legged friend for a short run this evening.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Love the title, Gma. I'm an escapist, so anything magical is my favorite!

I plan to continue what I am already doing:

Track calorie intake 5-7 days per week.
Focus on light dinner with lots of produce. "Volumetric" style eating.

Additional goals:
Vitamin D
Gratitude list: name 3 good things (bonus if they are not food and exercise related)

Monday
Track cals-yes.
Light, high produce dinner-yes
Vit D-not yesterday. :( Getting up to do this NOW!
Good things:
Neighbor says she is still willing to host Monday TV event (I have a group of girls getting together to watch a trashy TV show.)
A friend came to stay at our place and he is fun.
Comfy flannel lounge pants!
***Bonus*** we tried out our new emergency response at work in a real emergency yesterday, and it worked great.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 pm

KimmyAnn - thanks for Vit.D reminder:)
Doodle - your doggie is lucky with all those runs:)
Missing edium and jehanne - and others...

Tuesday: Outdoor walk (to gym) and spin class.
Wednesday ; outdoor walk

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Off to a good start for March, KitKat! Waving to Doodle and Gma.

Tuesday
Track cals-yes.
Light, high produce dinner-yes
Vit D-Yes!
Good things:
Coffee!
Looking forward to May the Fourth Be With You!
Sunshine is back!

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 pm

KimmyAnn, well done on your successes today!
KitKat, lots of exercise as ever :D

Wednesday I got up early and ran 3 miles. I managed 16000 steps for the day.
Today I swam before work for 45 minutes and I am about to take the dog out for a walk, she won’t be impressed as it’s far to hot for May.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 am

Doodle - you're sharing our heatwave... WTG on the run and swim!
WTG on your positive improvements, KimmyAnn

Today: Yin Yoga plus 11,000 steps

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:00 pm

You had an active day, Doodle! Steady as a rock, kitkat!

Thursday
Track cals-Yes and No. I was on track till bed, then I had a hard time sleeping and I felt hungry. DH got home, I thought I'd go give him some news and have a light snack, and instead I ate the kitchen and didn't track it. I'm giving myself a pass on it.
Light, high produce dinner-Dinner was heavier, but I didn't go crazy and went light on dessert before bed. But then, whoopsie. Had a mini binge at 10:30pm. I forgot that my plan is to make tea after I eat dessert to help fill me up and calm me down. I'm adding that to this bullet point for the rest of the month. Tea is not an option.
Vit D-Nope, I spaced it, I think. Darn! But I took it today.
Good things:
May The 4th Be With You : Star Wars Day is a great stupid holiday! We are watching The Force Awakens with Friends tonight.
Our housing co-op agreed to put an offer in on a contiguous property. Wow!
I'm feeling a little manic, high energy, but effective. It's fun, even if its a little scary.
***Bonus*** social evening with friends, more to look forward to. I'm branching out a little more, and it feels good.

helian

Post by helian » Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Well, I posted in the wrong month's thread this morning. I thought I'd move it over here to the correct one. . . Although, my comments may now be a bit out of date.

WTG being diligent about counting your calories, Kimmy Ann.
Oh, sorry you got sick, Smile Lee. That's no fun. Glad you're back!
Wow Doodle! 2 half marathons in 4 weeks! I'm impressed! I have just started jogging in a short-sleeved shirt - this week.
WTG getting your steps in, Gma.

Below is my plan B for the week. Plan A was jogging on W and another barre class on Thursday with a friend. I missed my jog on Wednesday so went Thursday instead. This meant I didn't go to a barre class on Thursday. . . Rarely does my Plan A get carried out.

My plan this week:
X M - jogged 4 miles flat
X T - PT (good work out for my shoulder) + barre class - yoga
X Th - jogged the arb hill just once; got caught in the rain so I cut it short
F - REST DAY
Sa. - 6 miles flat

helian

Post by helian » Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm

My plan this week:
X M - jogged 4 miles flat
X T - PT (good work out for my shoulder) + barre class - yoga
X Th - jogged the arb hill just once; got caught in the rain so I cut it short. Only 2.36 miles.
X F - REST DAY
X Sa. - 6 miles flat

Not sure what my plan will be next week. Soon, I'm going to have to start jogging in the mornings to avoid the heat. That gets complicated with my work schedule, which also changes every 5 weeks. . . .

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 am

A quick CI.
I lost internet services on Friday. (huge windstorm) Just got it back yesterday...

So:
Friday: Spin class - 10,000 steps
Saturday - Yoga - 12,000 steps
Sunday - Yoga - 6,000 steps
Monday: No classes - 21,000 steps

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Alright, Helian! Your activity log sure looks great!
Kitkat, no internet all weekend? How did you survive?!?!? Seriously, sometimes being forced to unplug is a gift, isn't it?

Track cals-Yes.I ate more cals than I would need to to lose wt, but at least I had a full day of tracking! I didn't track faithfully most of the weekend.
Light, high produce dinner, followed by optional dessert, mandatory tea. Yes. I ate heavier in the daytime yesterday, just because of poor planning. But I had a light dinner, a few bites of ice cream, and tea. No issues with being over-hungry at bedtime.
Vit D-Nope! Oops!
Good things:
  • Enjoyed friend time last night (group of 5 got together to watch a TV series)
  • Prep for TV event went well. I procured a TV and made the snacks without any difficulties.
  • Enjoyed my son's lively storytelling.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Track cals-Yes, except the extra bites I had at the end of the meal. :(
Light, high produce dinner, followed by optional dessert, mandatory tea. Yes. I made a slightly higher-fat dinner (coconut milk curry with veggies and chicken) but it was still fairly light and my portions were sane.
Vit D-Yes!
Good things:
  • I heard that I received some acknowledgement from my direct supervisor at an administrators meeting yesterday. :)
  • I stayed in touch with support people when I was struggling in my transition from work to home.(Ongoing problem for me.)
  • Got to bed on time-ish.

helian

Post by helian » Wed May 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Exercise plan for the week:
XM - Jog 4 miles flat
W - Jog the hill; make it 3 miles
Th - Jog 3 miles flat
Sat. - Jog 6.5? miles flat
shoulder exercises:
back exercises:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm

WTG with all the movement.

Look at all those plans and movement! Great job KimmyAnn and helian

Tuesday: Pilates class and 10,500 steps
Wednesday: over 16,000 steps - no formal exercise

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Helian! Keep up the good work!
Kitkat what had you so active on Wednesday?

Track cals-Yes, and I was under my calorie goal. Yay!
Light, high produce dinner, followed by optional dessert, mandatory tea. No. I basically skipped dinner. I had a lot of veggies throughout the day as part of lunch and 2nd lunch (which I have pretty much every day, I'm an every 3 hrs eater). So instead, I just had a small bit of bread and a serving of coconut milk icecream, then my evening tea. I feel fine about it. Dinner is overrated!
Vit D-Nope, but I got up and took it before writing this today!
Good things:
  • We have a new decision making process at work that we started yesterday for group meetings. It went well.
  • I really enjoyed watching Cinderella with my almost 10-year-old. So sweet that he can still enjoy a good kid's movie. He's homeschooled, and one huge benefit is that he isn't "growing up too fast".
  • Got marigolds as a gift at work this week, and I got them planted.
***Bonus***My work colleague bought me a houseplant for School Nurse day. It's a varigated pothos, it's really healthy looking and a great choice for a low light area. It's staying in my office, and it looks great! She also made me earrings and gave me a nice card and a chocolate truffle. So nice!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 am

KimmyAnn I was walking off some stress on Monday and Wednesday... and, our weather was gorgeous. :)-
Nice to plan for friend time:)

Today: Sculpt class and over 6,000 steps

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Track cals-Yes, and I was under my calorie goal, but just barely.
Light, high produce dinner, followed by optional dessert, mandatory tea. Well, I had dinner at my parent's house, which was a little heavier. In fact, I just realized I had a side dish that would put me over on cals that I didn't track! But mostly, the meal was salad and fruit, the heavier components were smaller portions. I call it a win! That said, I skipped the mandatory tea last night. It's best if I have this every day. It helps me sleep.
Vit D-Yes, and no more typing till I take it again today. DONE!
Good things:
  • I had a huge supplies donation to the nurse's office at work. Yay!
  • Enjoyed a nice meal with my parents and son, and a fun outing afterwards.
  • DH is working hard to organize our visas for summer travel (Bolivia). I'm so glad he's doing that!

helian

Post by helian » Sat May 12, 2018 3:51 pm

So nice you had a nice meal and evening with your family Kimmy!
I hope the stress is past, kitkat. We've been having gorgeous weather too, except for yesterday and today. .. .

Update:

Exercise plan for the week:
X M - Jog 4 miles flat
X W - Jog the hill; make it 3 miles -- I just did it once and made it 2.5 miles; it was hot and I was short on time.
X Th - Jog 3 miles flat
Sat.-> Sun. - Jog 6.5? miles flat -- I'm moving this to Sunday since it's raining today. It will clear up this afternoon, but we're going to J's ballet recital at 2 and then to small group at 5 -- so no time this afternoon.
shoulder exercises:
back exercises:

I need to get in some shoulder and back exercises. :shock:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon May 14, 2018 3:43 am

I need to start a bunch of supplements, so I might just join you here in checking them off, KimmyAnn
helian - unfortunately, stress is here to stay for a while: both DD and I are working on health issues. (Physical - but one thing leads to another...)
WTG on the jogs!

So, we spent the weekend with very healthy activities:
Yoga (X2), Nature Walk, Qi Gong (our first time)

Friday:
7,200 steps,
Saturday:
over 12,000 steps
Sunday:
over 13,000 steps
(Last week, I had a total of nearly 83,000)

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

KitKat, I'm happy for the company in checking off supplements. Off to take my Vit D now! It's nice that you and your DD can work on stuff together.
Helian, good luck getting started on back and shoulder work. Is this to help with an injury?

Track cals-I'm toying with the idea of taking this off my list. I didn't track all weekend. At the same time, I do like looking at it and knowing I'm not overeating. A little conflicted.
Light, high produce dinner, followed by optional dessert, mandatory tea.I had a normal morning eating, and then a heavier than usual dinner at my parent's house. I had a hard time with extra snacking afterwards, even though I was eating less than the others there. I also gain more than the others there. So, reality check!
Vit D-Yes.
Good things:
  • Wonderful weather
  • Got some plant starts in the ground.
  • I didn't cause too much trouble even though I felt completely evil all day yesterday.
So, I'm struggling with mood issues again. I'm going to put a call in to my prescriber's office. Maybe the medication I'm taking is making things worse, I don't know. It seems somewhat to be connected to hormone cycles, but not sure about that either. All I know is that I feel super down with low energy and terrible motivation levels. This is something that has been a lifelong struggle for me, but I haven't suffered this much in recent years, so it feels weird. I'm keeping my awareness levels up.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun May 20, 2018 1:06 am

84,000 steps - no classes this week.

How is everyone else doing?

helian

Post by helian » Wed May 23, 2018 3:21 pm

((kitkat)) for health issues that are hanging around.
I'm trying to be better tracking my eating, Kimmy. I sort of do WW, but this new program isn't great for me with lots of zero point foods. I can eat a LOT of food for zero points. . . .I'm now trying to track my food according to the previous program. A little difficult since all the numbers on the app, etc, are for the current program, but I'm trying.

I'm not teaching this session at our school b/c I'll be traveling for 2 weeks of June. It's nice to have a little break, and I'm trying to be more active.

I am back from our trip to Scotland, and my weight is very high for me right now; I haven't seen this number on the scale in a couple of years. I'm above 150. Ideally, I'd like to be close to 140, but I am 50 yo and 5' 7.25" so that goal may not be reasonable anymore. I've been in the mid-140s for a while (with a little fluctuation), and I'm happy and feel good there. I'm hoping to become more serious about exercising and tracking my food to get back there.

Exercise Plan for 5/21 - 27
M - Jog 3 miles flat
T - Schedule was too full
W - Jog 3 miles flat; yoga class

Th. - Physical therapy; Jog the hill x 1.5 for 3 miles total
F - Rest Day
Sa. - Jog 6 miles flat

Back exercises: doing daily; I hurt my back a little on our trip
Shoulder exercises:

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 am

found my fitbit in a pocket - slacks that had been at my house for 3 weeks. Wore that outfit again today and found it!
yes, I have been "busy" but not very productive, and I have no idea how many steps I have done in service to my mother.
going away for the weekend, just to have fun, while dsis is here to take care of mother.

you are all doing fantastice!
helian, I am an inch shorter than you and 20 yrs older. Managing stable at low 140s . I could work at it and make it to 135, but it would take planning and effort. I did make it to 128 when I was 55, kept pretty stable for about 3 yrs then it crept back up. Activity is KEY!