Action Plan for April Activities 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

kitkat

Re: Action Plan for April Activities 2018

Post by kitkat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 am

Smile.Lee - changed routines can mess us up...
KimmyAnn wasn't there another mom expecting with you way back then?
edium doggie must be adorable. Thanks, I feel better:)
We had a bit of snow, too, Gma
helian wtg on those jogs!

Monday: Hot Yoga
Tuesday: Pilates and 8,700 steps

helian

Post by helian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 am

Thanks kitkat! Congratulations on your classes!
That's a good point, yes, Smile Lee. I tend to be black and white with my exercise. It's hard for me to do something shorter -- but that would be good for me!
It's hard to keep on an eating plan when visiting with family, etc. KimmyAnn.
How is your back after all the bending and lifting, edium?
We had a dusting of snow on the ground again this morning, Gma. I'm getting really tired of it. I don't think I could live in MN. WTG with your desk! Are you getting to walk with other people/in other ways?

I did a 4 mile jog today immediately after work which meant I was pretty tired at the beginning of the jog. It was the only way to fit it in this afternoon though.

Rough exercise plan this week:
T - jog 4 miles flat
W - jog the arb hill x1; 2.5 miles
Th - ?? It will be very windy here. Maybe go to the gym? Or just skip?
Sun. - Jog while at my parents' home in IL, 4 miles. Flat. LOL! If you know central Illinois, you'll understand -- no need to specify "flat." :)
Shoulder Exercises:
Back Exercises:

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:18 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 am

not getting in much walking atm. my walking partner is in Europe for 2 weeks, and I have been sedentary trying to sort through just SOME of my house. I ahve focused on my house for several days - to the neglect of what Mother wants done at her house. So tomorrow I will dedicate several hrs to her.

helian

Post by helian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:03 pm

I did jog the hill yesterday. I'm going to skip today, even though that will mean no exercise for 2 or 3 days. I don't know whether I can jog at my parents on Saturday or Sunday. It will depend on the weather. I need to use my non-payroll time today to work around the house to prep for guests tonight. We will have a full table at our weekly Thursday dinner party this week. I'm setting the table for 9!

Rough exercise plan this week:
X T - jog 4 miles flat
X W - jog the arb hill x1; 2.5 miles
O Th - ?? It will be very windy here. Maybe go to the gym? Or just skip?
Sun. - Jog while at my parents' home in IL, 4 miles. Flat. LOL! If you know central Illinois, you'll understand -- no need to specify "flat." :)

Shoulder Exercises: W - abbr. version;
Back Exercises:

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:04 am

good going! no, Great going!
I went to funeral today, 75 miles away, much sitting.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Impressive how our little thread grew :)
WTG helian for finding time and motivation!
Gma your activity level is always high :)

Wednesday: Yin Yoga
Thursday ; Yin and Sculpt class
Friday: Hot Yoga

I'm done for the week - we are expecting storms
I can work out at home ... or take a break:)

edium

Post by edium » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey, yes, I am alive ! :lol:

Kit, yes Ddog is adorable. Personality is not what I am used to, but he is not my dog. He just lives in my house. :wink:
I think working out at home for a bit sounds fine ! :mrgreen:

Gma, driving can be a workout all by itself ! Not so great on toning some muscles though.... :roll: I am sure you will make up for it in no time !

Helian, my back was fine after the books, but finishing the edging around the azalea beds Friday nearly did it in. :lol: Had help from a young man with a bad back. So while he dug, tamped and stacked, I loaded my hand cart hauled and unloaded the recycled landscape blocks. It looks great and my back is better ( after babying it ) for the work out !

Hey Kimmy and Feather and jehanne and .... my memory needs more work too ! :oops:

Meanwhile my step count is continuing to either hold or improve at least 6 days a week. And so does other movement. I now have quite the course laid out in my house for rainy weather days . I may have to figure out several changes in case it starts wearing in the old wood floors ! :oops: :mrgreen:

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 am

edium you would not want doggie to be boring:) (I have dogs like that: they aren't mine but they stay here :lol: )
I'm looking forward to joining you in gardening -once we find the garden under the ice :roll:

Hot yoga today. Plus shovelling, breaking up ice...
No exercise Saturday/Sunday

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am

Howdy everyone! New plan for this week. My power plate sessions got changed from 3 to 2 days because I don't want to go in the afternoon. I'm using the new schedule to change up my routine, maybe even work in some classes. Instead of doing weights and power plate on same day, I'm going do alternate days, which will work in more power plate in using it for a warm up and cool down on the weights days, and more treadmill time.
For future summer activity -- There's a park with a pretty long walk/jog path on my route to the gym. Looking forward to doing a quick run/walk on that and getting itchy to get out on the bike trail.

:arrow: April Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Challenge Week 10
Monday
⭐️Gym - :15 tread/wts
Tuesday:
⭐️Gym - :15 tread/pp
Wednesday:
------
Thursday:
Gym: pp & weights
Friday :
Gym: :15 tread/wts
Saturday :
Sunday :

Total: 11:45
February: 3:10
March: 6:00 - ⭐️⭐️ 2 days @ :30
April: 7:15 - ⭐️⭐️ 2 days @ :30
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 am

great big, HUGE WTG! to all of you paying attention to your actin plans!
I ahve bene dating, shopping with my mother, shovelling snow, and more of the same planned for tomorrow.
Not paing much attn to steps!
but good for all of you who are doing beneficial activities!

helian

Post by helian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Gma, you've been busy! Shoveling is good exercise, but just be careful!
Park sounds great, Smile Lee. I hope the new schedule works for you!
Glad your back is better, edium.
WTG with your classes, kitkat. I hope you're done with snow and ice.

I have a low-key work schedule for the next month, and then I'm taking June off b/c of travels! Yay! This means I can get back into an exercise routine. I might even start adding in some barre classes, especially some yoga.

Plan for this week:
X T - PT for my shoulder; it got a good work out
W - walk with dfriend; jog - not too long since I won't have much time late in the afternoon
Th - longer jog, 4 miles?
Sa. - jog longer, 5 or 6 miles

Shoulder PT exercises: 1 or 2 times
Back Exercises: try for 2 times this week

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi everybody! Boy, did I go AWOL for a minute!

I have kept up with calorie counting. Yay me! I have been keeping to a planned intake pretty consistently for about 2 weeks. I haven't seen reliable wt drop yet, but I think I will.

KitKat, yes, I'm sure there was another member expecting at the same time. I just don't remember who that was at the moment.
Helian, are you planning to get back in routine this month?
Gma, did you say you have been dating? How is that going?
Lee, I don't remember my "red dress". Maybe that wasn't me, but maybe it was!
Kitkat, wtg on more movement!

As for me, I've been in a bit of emotional upheaval for a few days now. I've been self-obsessed and seeing signs of midlife crisis, like fantasies of having an affair, obsession with a movie star, and a strong desire to drink alcohol (which I can't do now, due to a medication I'm taking) Sorry if this is an overshare. I'm a Christian, happily married, and in no way want to put my marriage, family, or health at risk with any of the above temptations, but I've been driven to fantasize about them. This was all triggered by watching a movie with a very compelling male supporting actor, but I also had a touch of it around Mid-feb, and I had some significant but short-lived depression the last week of March as well. The medication can cause depression, so I'm watching that. I probably would benefit from more work outside in the garden. BUT enough about that. I have to work on turning my perspective toward being of service to others. That's the key to peace of mind, not dreaming about a more exciting, more passionate, more interesting life.

Tuesday

Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week.
yes.I've undereaten the past 2 days due to decreased appetite, as a result of the emotional upheaval. This is not normal for me, I'm a stress eater, so usually it's the opposite. I' will want to watch this as well, since I could easily end up having rebound binging.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Yes. This has been easy lately.

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 pm

I ate really healthy yesterday, and pretty good today too.
Not getting enough steps in, but may be able to change that - if can let go of/ FINISH! some housekeeping that I am trying to focus on!

Went to a party at former work place today - saw a nurse who was having significant health issues when I left 2 yrs ago. She - on her own, without support from her dr's (Mayo Clinic no less), bout the book Eat to Live and has been following mostly a plant based diet for over a year. And she looks so much better than EVER! ++++SHE IS HEALTHY! ++++ I will be checking B&N for that book and see if htey have it or can get it.

and yes, I am dating, and it is going VERY WELL!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 am

I'm a big fan of Dr. Fuhrman, Gma -
Dson and I spent a day at one of his seminars. Good research.
Waving to KimmyAnn, helian and Smile.Lee

skipped yoga class on Wednesday, did one today, plus a Sculpt class. :D

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Checking in ....
Things keep interrupting my workouts this week. Not getting in as much as I'd like but still happening, so there's that.
I follow all those guys - Fuhrman, Dr. McDougall, Happy Herbivore, Dr. McGregor, Rip Esselysteyn, Dr. Colin Powell. You'd think I'd be the healthiest person in the world. :lol: Media-wise, Dr.McGregor is one of my favorites. He wrote the book, "How Not to Die." :lol: He publishes frequent very short videos on health topics which are interesting and easy to follow and understand - all backed up with research and studies.
Nutrition Facts
If you do Facebook, the videos come up there as well.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Gma - social life (inc. dating) is "right up there" with good diet and exercise. Good for you!
:D
Smile.Lee some weeks are more difficult than others...

Today: Yin Yoga
Averaging 7,000 steps a day

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:19 am

Hmm... gonna have to look up yin yoga. Good job on keeping up the step count, kit!

helian ~ just in case you didn't know - there's a marathon over here at the end of April. *hint*hint* :lol: Speaking of marathons, I know some people that really like the Indy marathon in May.

helian

Post by helian » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:05 pm

LOL Smile Lee! There's no way I could run a marathon, especially not in 1 week from now! :shock: Doodle might be able to run one. :)
I've never heard of yin yoga, kitkat.
Happy for you that the dating is going very well, Gma. :)
((KimmyAnn))). You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. And WTG counting calories!!

Results for this week:
T - PT for my shoulder; it got a good work out
W - walked for an hour with dfriend; jog did not happen. I was too tired and it was rather late by the time I got home from walking with dfriend.
Th - longer jog, 4 miles
Sa. - jog longer, 5 or 6 miles -- ended up as 4.5 miles

Shoulder PT exercises: 1 or 2 times -- none so far; will try for tonight
Back Exercises: try for 2 times this week -- none so far; will try for tonight

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 am

I have only made 6600 steps today, but I did get my mother outside for a walk. We went less than 1 city block each way. She came in exhilerated,and started to clean her porch. That was way too much for her to do in a day, but she did it anyway, while I made about 20 trips to the attic with Easter decorations (that is another whole story for another time! )

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Gma, I come from a long line of female holiday decor collectors, though I don't really do it myself too much. I'd love to hear about the 20 boxes!

Helian, thanks! I'll update on my mental health below. You are doing great, though. Good job on the jogs and the PT.

Kitkat, I love it that you keep going to the fitness classes. Yoga sounds heavenly right now.

Lee, thanks for the link to the How Not To Die guy. I'm planning to read a bit of him and get a hit on what he's about this morning.

Gma, that's an amazing story about your past colleague's health. I know I feel good when I eat "volumetric" style, which is not animal-free, but is very plant heavy. Do you follow a plant based diet now? I love that dating is going VERY well for you! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Monday

Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week. yes.In fact, I've been 100% on tracking for over 3 weeks. My weight has dropped a little, mostly as a result of having a poor appetite last week. More about that below.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. No. I have been having low cal dinners, but since I had a lot of emotional upheaval, I have not been planning out meals. Instead, I've just been undereating whatever I can find. Last night it was mac and cheese with hamburger, but a small portion. No veggies at all, though. That is not a recipe for happiness!

General emotional state update: Here's what happened to me. I was going along in my life. Work is stressful, home is a little stressful, but nothing is really too bad. If you asked me, I was "fine". Then I watched a movie with a tragic love interest and a compelling male lead, and all of a sudden, I was seized with this sense that my life is not exciting enough, I'm not adored enough, there is something I'm missing... I became distractible, lost my appetite, and was compelled to talk about the movie, the character, and the drama of my emotions, basically with anyone who would listen. What? You all don't know me that well, but I promise you, among my friends, I'm know to be patient, steady, logical. Now all of a sudden I'm an angst-filled 40 year old teenager!

I'm "happy" to report that most of the symptoms of this "crisis" are gone. My appetite is back (OK, I didn't really want this to happen!), I can focus on work, and I'm no longer talking about myself non-stop. I miss the intensity of the feelings, but I don't miss feeling hostage to them. The good news is that this crisis caused me to look at my husband with new eyes and realize that most of what I was attracted to in the character is found right here at home (attractive, charming, moody, dedicated, hard working, passionate). I was also grateful for the chance to recognize that what was most attractive to me in this fantasy world was the strong character's vulnerability, something that I don't get much with DH. I realized that just because he doesn't show much vulnerability doesn't mean I can't create that feeling in our marriage. I can chose to be more vulnerable with him, feeding that need for more emotional intimacy within myself. After 18+ years of being together, I've programmed myself to not show vulnerability, as part of the family culture we've created. (He is probably diagnosable with Aspergers, feelings aren't really his thing.) But when I showed more of that side to him this past week, it was ok. More than ok, he was responsive and sweet. Hurray for new things in old marriages!

So, that's my overshare of the day. Have a great Tuesday, everybody!

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 pm

kimmyann! Thank you for sharing! That is a wonderful story! I remember being 30something, and hearing many younger colleagues talking about all their dates, also working in OB and taking care of women who had different fathers of their babies. I got the feeling that I was missing out on something, not knowing all that many men (as in only 1, my husband!) It didn't take very long before I realized how blessed I was to be in a faithful, committed relationship that nothing could break. I also remember realizing that he would most likely die first, leaving me a relatively young widow, and I remember prayeing for the person who would eventually be new husband. And when I listed all the qualities I wanted, I remember very distinctly hearing God's voice say, Why don't you just say Thank You! And I suddenly realized everything I was praying for to be in someone else I already had in him (well, except for knowing one end of screwdriver from the other, or what to do with a hammer or pliers or any other tool!)

It is a beautiful day here. I am sweeping my driveway and picking up sticks in MY yard while the aide is at mother's helping her. A light breeze is tickling the wind chime.
And I am heading back outside in just a few minutes.
and, no , I am not a full vegetarian. It is too complicated for me to eat fully plant based, then cook for mother who is meat/potatoes generation. And she says, "How did I get to be 93. I got to 93 and never did any of that!!"

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 am

wasn't 20 boxes - it was 6 or 7 storage bins, plus individual items, some in boxes, some just individual. The 20 trips came from bringing some Christmas items up, bringing the Easter stuff up, then having to bring 4 boxes down again, then back up after I repacked them, and added more. Easter train, Easter bunny houses (the 4-6 inch size things), resin trees with bunnies swinging from the branches, pastel pussy willows, green felt on the base, Easter grass, bunny candle holders, maybe you get an idea.
did make 8000+ steps today! that is my goal atm.

KimmyAnn1147

Post by KimmyAnn1147 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Gma, I can definitely relate to your story, including the part about knowing you are likely to be a widow for a good portion of your life.

My DH is 54, I'm 40. He also has adult-onset muscular dystrophy, so at some point, he is likely going to be very disabled, on a ventilator etc. I always expected him to go before me, but I haven't really wrapped my head around what it will look like for him to be disabled. Right now he doesn't work, but that's our choice as he home schools our son. As a nurse, I have much more earning power than him, and I can confidently say he is a better homeschooling parent than I am too. He just has the right personality and interest to do a great job. I haven't ever imagined finding someone when he's gone, I always think about what kind of dog I'm going to get to keep me from being too lonely. I have a hard time imagining finding someone else that I would be compatible with, not because of some sense of lifelong loyalty, but just because there are so few people I can imagine spending that much time with without wanting to poison their soup...!

When did you lose your DH?

Thursday

Track food in calorie app 5-7 days per week.
yes.100% tracking for 25 days. I kind of enjoy it. I'm using the app "Lose it" and it's pretty well designed.

Light but filling dinners (lots of veggies), followed by a planned dessert and then no more food. Yes, but no. Dinner was light last night, but I had seconds. I ended up over the calorie goal I've set for myself, because of having a giant tonic and bitters out with a friend and a trip to Fro-Yo with a higher-fat choice with DS. This akes me realize how different it would be to keep to a lower calorie limit if I were also drinking cocktails or beers! But overall, I've been under goal this week, and not by a ton. No more undereating, appetite is back to normal.

AND ..... My weight is finally back in the "normal" range for my height. BMI 24.8. It's only the difference of a pound or two, but it still feels nice to be normal.

Doodle Do

Post by Doodle Do » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi All,

I have been missing in action but I’m back! I’m going to go back and re read your posts to catch up later.

I managed to complete 2 half marathons in 4 weeks. I have never tried that before but it was actually ok. The first was in freezing cold temperatures and a not so pretty City run with thousands of other people. The second (last weekend) was smaller, at the shore, running through a state park with about a third of the people and it was warm enough to wear a short sleeved tee shirt. Guess which one I preferred :D

I don’t have another race planned until December so I am going to try and swim more and do an open water charity swim in September which benefits Johns Hopkins cancer research (Swim Across America Baltimore). JHs helped my lovely man survive with cancer for so much longer than we ever dreamed of. It’s a way to give back and honor his memory. My son has done the swim every year since DH was first diagnosed, I have done it before but not for a few years. 3 miles is a long way for me....think manatee! My son normally laps me twice :lol:

Plan for today
Swim
Walk the dog
Get 12000 steps!