Marching forward in March

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

helian

Re: Marching forward in March

Post by helian » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:23 am

Well, the actualized exercise plan this week was:
W - ran 3.25? or so miles; I forgot my watch so I don't know exactly how far.
F - Physical therapy
Sat. - Jogged 5 miles; I started late enough that I was at mile 4 when the sun set. I didn't feel comfortable going more than 1 mile in the twilight.

I did my exercises most days. I can always do better.

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:13 am

kit ~ I AM feeling better. Thanks! I still have some bouts here and there of extreme tiredness, but they're getting fewer and farther between and they don't last very long. Luckily, they're usually later in the day or evening, so I can get most of my day's tasks done before they hit. I DO think the daily cardio - as small as it is - is having a very positive effect on me. Today was the first time that my legs didn't feel really heavy on the elliptical. Progress! Nice that you live so close to the gym that you walk! I'd love that!

helian ~ WTG on getting out to run in the cold. You have grit! As I get deeper into the cardio challenge, I'm finding myself itching to get outside to walk/jog. I've seen many articles stating that exercise outdoors ramps up the benefits.

helian

Post by helian » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 pm

I really enjoy being outside, Smile Lee. I think the fresh air is good for both my body and my psyche! I don't mind the cold too much b/c I get hot and sweaty when I run. In fact, these temps aren't super cold for running, and I prefer this to too hot. Dh and I both try to avoid running in temps 70* or higher. 60s are even a bit iffy for me. I don't know how people in southern states can jog for exercise.

Now, I need to start adding in the exercise stuff that you're doing. I should get myself to the gym once a week or so. Or find a barre code yoga class that fits my schedule.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Smile.Lee - time constraints, other commitments keep me from walking to gym on other days... It's a mile from my house. I like doing the walk whenever possible:)
helian I was thinking of you as I attempted a (less than one block) jog last week. It did not hurt my back so that was encouraging.

Saturday: Hot yoga

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 am

just dropping in to say HI!
Glad for all your great workouts! It's all progress.
I have been lax - I forget to put my fitbit on, so it looks like I didn't do anything.

And I ahve ahd much sitting activities to do -
watched a play on Thrusday, and rode the bus with 50 people to get there. All day sit.
dinner date Friday - sit and chat a long time
Saturday - a concert and out for supper with mom
Sunday (today) church and 2 concerts!
maybe I can get some activity in tomorrow - but have an hr class at church in teh morning, and a 2 hr class college in evening, and in between my mother has a dr appt. More sitting!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

Gma there is a time to sit, a time to play:)

This is going to be slow week for exercise for me:
I have a chest cold AND will have the little ones, so I need to modify both times and intensity:

Sunday; (very effective) Hot Yin Yoga. (got rid of my hip/back pain! It's very rare that I can... )
Monday: Hot Yin Yoga.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 am

kit ~ ooo... sick and taking care of kids. yikes! Hope everything goes okay.
Gma ~ With all your activities, I bet you got in more steps than you think.
helian ~ we are polar opposites. I like heat, humidity and sweat! :lol: I've not done Barre but I've seen people do it. It's pretty

Cardio challenge is going well. My little cardio sprints are starting to consistently feel good. Adding in another 10 - which means I need to add one in the weekend. Maybe that'll be an outdoor run. Adding 15 seconds to my plank.

:arrow: March Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Challenge Week 5 :arrow: 7/:10 elliptical & (M/W/F/Sat) 4/:10 other cardio & 7/:01.25 plank
M pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T
W pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T
F pp • wts. • :10 tread
S
S

March = 2:40 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = 4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 2 :arrow: 6 days = 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 3 :arrow: 1 days = 1/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

February = 17 days = 3:10 of cardio

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 am

I adjusted my fitbit so 8000 is my goal to get a star for the day :wink: Then I changed clothes quickly and forgot to take it out of my pocket, so it missed about 1000 steps. Now I am home, at my house, so I can remedy that. I did some time at local walking track as a reward for some cleaining time this afternoon.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 am

fitbit says I did >10,000 today! I don't know how that happened! I spent a fair amount of time (4 hrs) in just one room at church, doing a project to mend needlepoint that we did 35 yrs ago. I am surprised that I made over 8K!
kitkat, I hope you feel better soon!
smile*lee, did you get today's activities done?
helian, when is your next big run?
edium, how are you doing? What are you reading? I manage to read while walking at indoor track when I am alone. I have 1, 2, and 3 pound pairs of hand weights, one 5# and 1 10#; and one set of adjustable weight for ankles, from nothing (no weight set on) to 1/2 pound on each ankle all the way to 5# each ankle for weighted exercise. Not recommended for walking distances.
I haven't done the weights for a few days. I go to a class for that, have the directions, but hardly ever get around tuit. Missed last Thursday and will miss this Thursday also. so need to do it.

I am learning that fingers do need to be extended/ stretched, jus tlike every other muscle in our bodies as we age! hmmm, I suppose I should get back to stretching for doing the splits.
hohum another day I will re- start, not tonight.

helian

Post by helian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Smile, well, it's probably not so pretty when I do barre. :lol:

Really struggling to fit in exercise with my schedule. I am subbing today, so I'll be out all afternoon, until about 6 pm. That's too late to jog. I got up late this a.m. and don't think I can fit it in this morning. Maybe tomorrow? And then I'll go for 6? miles on Saturday.

Desert Bloom

Post by Desert Bloom » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

deleted post... wrong thread...

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 am

helian wrote:Smile, well, it's probably not so pretty when I do barre. :lol:
haha! I meant to say pretty hard. :mrgreen:

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 am

• planks

Challenge Week 5 :arrow: 7/:10 elliptical & (M/W/F/Sat) 4/:10 other cardio & 7/:01 plank
M pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T :P
W pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T :P
F pp • wts. • :10 tread
S elliptical done
S elliptical done - need one more - done!

March = 4:00 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = 4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 2 :arrow: 6 days = 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 treadmill uphill & jog
Week 3 :arrow: 6 days = 5/:10 elliptical + 4/:10 treadmill uphill & jog

Last edited by Smile*Lee on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 pm

I got out of sync the last couple of days. The goal is to get back on track today. Elliptical done and I'm off to the gym.

edium

Post by edium » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Anyone have an extra seat belt for this wagon ?

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:18 am

going "eagle watching" tomorrow- should be a fair amount of outdoor hiking. That will be fun and plenty of steps!

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:04 pm

🍀🍀🍀Happy St. Patty's Day!🍀🍀🍀

Gma ~ have fun! Outdoor fresh air counts for a lot!

Handing edium an extra seat belt. Do you need a cup holder as well? :wink: :lol:

I'm still being amazed at how effective just 10 minutes on the elliptical is. My back and ab muscles started engaging this morning. I can go with that. :mrgreen: Hmm... need to get :10 extra cardio in today or tomorrow. Still cold outside - elliptical is probably easiest to fit in.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 am

Hi Everyone,
Nice to see you all working at it. Gma - eagle watching? that sounds like tons of fun!

Disappeared b/c I got really sick. Thanks for the good wishes. :)
I'm not ready to jump back in but am working toward it. Just wanted to say hi:)

Gma

Post by Gma » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 am

kitkat, I hopeyou feel better very soon! You have ahd some major down time this winter.
smile. elliptical seems like just the thing for you.
helian, did you get your run in ?
edium, how much have you done?

I didn't walk as much as I thought today. Still MN march and cold. sunny but 45 degrees is not my idea of walking weather when ground is cold and ice is still on the lakes/ river.
We saw several eagles in flight, 3 SWANS!, a couple eagles in trees, a couple big nests, and visited a really nice Eagle center, had good meals. all in all, fun day!
but not many steps.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:17 pm

(((kit))) ~ hope you are on the back end of that sickie thing - no fun!
Gma ~ glad you had such a great time yesterday! Hope you got some of that outdoor sun that we got around here! Elliptical hasn't really been my thing (G bought it) but it's here and inside in the winter, so I'm putting it to good use. I have to say, it's starting to grow on me. I still like to balance it out with the uphill/jog treadmill stints.

I almost didn't do the elliptical this morning but then - it's only 10 minutes. done! I'm ready to start a new week! There's a gentle yoga class at the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8 am. Thinking of adding that in.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Got in my other cardio today. It actually felt good to get one in the afternoon. Adding in one more :10 cardio this week. Trying to build a good solid habit. Adding on another :15 to plank, which I was supposed to do this past week but forgot.

• planks

Challenge Week 6 :arrow: 7/:10 elliptical & (M/W/F/Sat) 5/:10 other cardio & 5/:75 plank
M: ⭐️ E • pp • wts • :10 tread • squats • push ups
T:
W: ⭐️E • pp • wts • :10 tread • squats
T:
F : E • pp • wts. • :10 tread
S : E
S : E

March = 4:30 hrs
Week 1 :arrow: 4 days = 4/:10 elliptical + 1/:10 other cardio
Week 2 :arrow: 6 days = 6/:10 elliptical + 3/:10 other cardio
Week 3 :arrow: 6 days = 5/:10 elliptical + 4/:10 other cardio
Week 4 :arrow: 2 days = 2/:10 elliptical + 2/:10 other cardio

Last edited by Smile*Lee on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

helian

Post by helian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks for asking Gma. I got some semblance of a run in last week during the week. it was quite short I think. I did get in a 6 mile jog on Sunday.

My work schedule just chops my day up this month, so it's a challenge to fit in exercise. 2 - 3 days a week, I'm out 8:30 - 11 and then again 1 - 4. The 1-4 commitment is every day, but the 8:30 - 11 meeting happens 2 - 3 times/week. Then, in a regular week, after work, I have Hebrew class at 5 on Mondays, so I can't exercise after work on Ms. Tuesdays, I have Circles Mtg. @ 6, so I could squeeze in a short run on Tuesdays If I'm on the ball. Th., we host Th. dinner. Depending on who is cooking and what, I might be able to squeeze in a run after work on Th. I usually use that 11 - 1 slot for work prep, short errands, small tasks around the house, and lunch. On days I don't have the 8:30 - 11 commitment, I can usually fit in a jog more easily. That would be W and F this week -- except Fridays are always rest days, gearing up for a longer run on Saturday. So just W this week.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know! LOL! However, I do feel better when I'm exercising regularly, so I'm going to do my best. My schedule will change again in a month.

Ideal Plan this week:
T - Jog 3 miles
W - Jog 4 miles
Th - Jog again? Or use the machines at the gym?
Sa. - Jog 6 miles

Try to do back exercises daily. Try to do shoulder exercises EOD.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 am

I'm getting jealous: you are ALL doing so well:) Nice to see all those posts ...
On that note: I gave it a try, and did Pilates tonight:) No promises for the remainder of the week - we'll see.
Who knows we might get to walk outside soon, it is spring, after all:)

Gma

Post by Gma » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:53 am

I set my goal to be 8000. made it today for first time in several; days.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

I did not do so well this week. I went to Indy and back on Tuesday and I was REALLY tired on Wednesday and Thursday. I thought maybe I was coming down with something but so far, I'm feeling okay this morning. Heading back to Indy today to visit for a couple of days. Fresh start next week!