Fabulously Fit in February (or trying) 2018

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Smile*Lee
Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Re: Fabulously Fit in February (or trying) 2018

Post by Smile*Lee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks for the anesthesia info and tips, Gma & kitkat! Makes sense as to why it's taken so long for me to start getting energy back and why it helps for me to exercise. I didn't go to the gym but I did do 30 minutes of exercise - 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp Basic Workout Plus, and 10 minutes on the elliptical. I've got greens juices going and drinking lots of water. Adding in 5 minute deep breathing every hour. Already feeling more aware and alert.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:42 am

SmileLee - baby steps!
helian enjoy your trip:)
Gma - you are such wonderful inspiration! Speaking of which... I saw a couple I wanted to share:

http://gothamtogo.com/remembering-harle ... singleton/

This lady we have seen before - but worth seeing again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmaTD5H0iM

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

wonderful inspirations!
(And I couldn't do lotus even when I was 20 - we called it tailor sitting/ not exactly lotus, but close. )
And I tried a book tha tsaid "splits in 1 month" I hurt so much after a week that I quit!
may start up again, but not sure.
anyhow .... home just for a few min. Mom needs me to sleep at her house tonight, and I have to get a few things.

helian

Post by helian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

You're both amazing and definitely an inspiration, Gma and kitkat!

Thanks to you gals here, I felt encouraged to go to the gym last night. I did 33 minutes on the elliptical. It felt good to move a bit. I also did my shoulder exercises -- but not my back.

I'm hoping to jog this afternoon, though my time constraints are a bit tight.

I should also try to drink more water.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm also encouraged today. After one day of lots of green juicing and a little exercise, I feel like my brain has some "grip." Will do another round of :30 of Monday's plan.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 am

Sounds like a fun trip, helian! Where are you?

Got 10 minutes of elliptical in but nothing else. I was a little too enthusiastic with exercises yesterday and my back is reeeeallly stiff. With my back issues, decided to not push my luck. I have decided to do a 30 day cardio challenge - working up to 30 minutes a day. This week I'll do 10 - next week 15, etc.

Week 1:
M - T - W - Th - F - S - S

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 am

Gma I hurt one ankle in a yoga workshop while attempting lotus. That ankle was never the same after...
The truth is, not all of us are configured in a way that we could do it. Same goes for the splits. If I forced it, I'd get hurt... No harm in trying to work toward it... in baby steps with no force... A yoga teacher on one of my DVDs explained it that we simply don't all have the same anatomy. That does not need to stop us from doing better - but our better does not need to be a perfect lotus or the perfect splits.
"Progress, not perfection " - works for this, too :wink: :D
helian your outdoor jogs in the winter are more than inspiring. Even back when I was jogging, had a tough time how to deal with cold - sweat, etc.
Smile.Lee always glad to hear improvements:) - Sounds like a good plan!

Monday: 1/2 hour spin , 1/2 hr Elliptical, 8,600 steps
Today: Pilates and 7,300 steps.

helian

Post by helian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

I did not get to jogging yesterday, nor did I get to the gym. :( My schedule was usurped by extenuating circumstances; I picked up a friend for my Circles meeting, which meant I had to leave at 4:30. I had originally planned to go jog at 4 -- and this switch up occurred around 3:15, not enough time to squeeze in a jog. I thought I could go to the gym afterward, but it was 9:15 by the time the meeting was over, I had dropped off friend, and talked to dh on the phone. That's too late to go to the gym. It closes at 10.

Today looks beautiful! I might try to go for a jog late this afternoon -- but I have A LOT to do to get ready to leave town tomorrow afternoon.

So, we're traveling to Seattle to visit our ds who has just started his adult working life in that area. Dh is flying straight from California, where he is this week for work. I'm flying with dd22. Dd19 is flying from NYC on Friday. It's a really long flight for her.

I think ds' roommate runs on a trail near their apartment, so we will bring running stuff. Maybe I will actually be able to get more exercise while on vacation!

Smile Lee, I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Gma

Post by Gma » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 pm

helian, I hopw the Seattle weather is favorable for nice running outside. I believe they have some nice parks with good paths.

I did get a 25 min fast walk in yesterday before the track closed. I still needed 1600 to make the 10k, but I will accept what I did,

Made it to bone builders today - new program they are calling SAIL = Senior Activities for Independent Living. Balance, weights, aerobics, plus warm up and cool down.
I don't konw if I am getting better or worse, but I feel like I need something for flexibility! I did try the "splits in one month" and quit after less than a week because my muscles were complaining SOOO much. Big hurt - no not pain, but I was making no progress. I will try again another time.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 am

Hey y'all! I think I'm finally on a permanent upswing. I even did a plank today. :mrgreen:
I can vouch for slow stretching progress. Even as a child, I was not limber - at all! When I bent over, my hands would get down to my shins and that's it. After a few years of T-tapp, I could easily touch my fingers to the floor. Even after not exercising for awhile, I still retain limberness. I guess consistency and persistence is the key.

helian ~ When you mentioned skiing, I thought maybe you were off on a trip somewhere.
kit ~ you get the Class Diva award!
Gma ~ SAIL sounds good! Yeah... I've started back doing some T-Tapp for flexibility. Our gym has tons of classes, too. Would like to get more involved in some of the yoga/pilates classes.

- 30-Day Challenge -
• Work up to :30 daily cardio
• planks

Week 1 - :10 cardio & :01 plank

In addition to challenge
M • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+
W • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+
Th • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+, and 80 toe raises

helian

Post by helian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Smile Lee, yes, you are right! We're in Seattle now visiting ds. There are mountains about 2 hours away, so we're hoping to do some skiing tomorrow at a ski place on Mt. Rainier, actually.

We've had several nice days I could have gone jogging this week, but I had such a hairy schedule, I had to let those days slip by. A little frustrating. I had such a busy week with extra work at payroll (subbing, my students' first essay drafts were due this week, sub plans to make up, plus generally a heavier load than usual), and getting things ready to leave town yesterday and a longer Circles meeting this week. I didn't fit in exercise other than Monday.

I did do my shoulder exercises regularly.

Today, I'm hoping to exercise, either in the hotel fitness room or going for a jog. Temps are much milder here, though I don't enjoy jogging in cities.

Gma

Post by Gma » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 am

helian, my dsis2 lives in Seattle area. one of the first things we did when visiting her, when she moved there, was a walking tour of historic Underground Seattle. It was yrs ago, but I think they still do it. It was so imformative, interesting, great history of the city. I would like to do it again. You might want to check it out - I don't konw times or costs or anything, but if you have time, it would be a great introductino to the city. And get some steps in, tho not jogging time.

I thought I wasn't goin g to get my walking in today - but my mother wanted to go shopping - so I got about 7,000 steps in at Kohl's while she shopped. Which brought me to >10k for the day. She had a good time. I am tired after not enough sleep last night - up too late, then up too early! I can sleep in tomorrow. My feet hurt - when shopping, I have my winter boots on, not my walking shoes. Not much cushioning on the bottom of the boots, and the floor is hard. Mom had fun shopping.

We have 2 concerts to go to tomeorrow, so that will be much sitting. I dont' know if I will get walking in. Will try!

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Gma ~ sounds like you need some "walking" boots. Enjoy the concerts today!
helian ~ watch that back today on the slopes!

Got in 6 days of :10 elliptical cardio this week. Go me! :mrgreen:
Thinking of taking Sundays off. Might keep it at :10 next week and get it more to a habit level before upping the time. Elliptical isn't my favorite way to do cardio but it's here at the house. Might as well make good use of it.

- 30-Day Challenge -
• Work up to :30 daily cardio
• planks

Week 1 - :10 cardio & :01 plank

In addition to challenge
M • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+
W • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+
Th • 30 squats, 6 push ups, T-Tapp BWO+, and 80 toe raises
F • BWO+

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 am

Back on track, SmileLee - WTG!
helian - it's harder when we are out of our routine...
Gma - dmom is amazing with her shopping trips. Wonderful:)

So:
Wednesday: Spin class
Thursday ; No formal exercise
Friday: Spin Class
Saturday: Hot Yoga

Stepcount: about 7,000 per day. :oops:

Musicalcatlover

Post by Musicalcatlover » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 am

Aerobic snow shoveling as 18" storm total: M,T, W,
Aerobic grocery shopping: TH, F :lol:

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Sounds good to me, Mcl! You can get in a lot of steps grocery shopping!
Thanks, kit! Still feeling a bit spacey but def moving in the right direction. You get an A+ for "class participation!" :mrgreen:

I think I turned a corner. I was going to take Sunday off but felt like doing 10 on the elliptical after I got cleaned. Not a lot of sweating at 10 minutes so I went with it. hoo-rah!!! :mrgreen: Rethinking my challenge. I didn't want to add any time to my elliptical 10 but I'm going to see how adding another 10 in the evening goes. It's really amazing how little exercise it takes to feel results if I'm just consistent every day. Already I'm feeling more muscle compactness in my core muscles - in just 10 minutes!!! Only did planks a couple of times this week. The plank plan is to hit it right after elliptical.

:arrow: February Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Week 2 :arrow: 2 sets of :10 cardio & :01 planks

In addition...
M • Gym
T •
W • Gym
Th •
F • Gym

February
Week 1 :arrow: :10 ellipitcal - 7 days

Gma

Post by Gma » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

I like it: Aerobic snow shovelling! YES!! 2 days in a row here - 1st day at mother's, then today at my house.
Snow forecast for tomorrow - I will let the hired snowremoval do it fo rmother! I jsut didn't think he was going to come for that little bit and I wanted it gone. Then he showed up about 2 hrs later at neighbors - but I had mother's already done. Saved her $30!

I am aiming for a littlenap today!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am

Quick CI;

Outdoor Walking!!! about 2 miles today:) and I hit 10,000 steps -

edium

Post by edium » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Gma says:
I am aiming for a littlenap today!
Aerobic napping ? I like the sound of that ! No snow to shovel here, but I did a bunch of other stuff outside. As long as long as the sun keeps finding holes in the cloud cover , I will spend a bunch more time out there today. Also some aerobic groc shopping . :mrgreen:

Keeping up with using the timer for my sitting and moving activities in the house is working well. I have even worked out a course through the rooms etc that I can walk while reading. :lol: Works great ! Rain no longer stops me getting steps in and I don't have to keep driving to large places under a roof that I have no other reason to be at ! :mrgreen:
(Did I mention typical exercise is very boring to me as an every day thing). :oops:

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 am

I have 7500+ steps today and "all" I have done is shovel my driveway and 1/2 of mother's :D
That should count as weight lifting too, don't you think???

edium

Post by edium » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 pm

I can only report just over 5000 steps on my old Omron tracker. Except for Sunday, that has been fairly consistent for the past 2 weeks. I admit to being way off my 40 or so year 'normal'. :oops: :( When the rain allows I will "step" it up to 7500 for my average goal and see how long it takes for that to integrate into my days so I can move it up again. :D

Meanwhile, I have been keeping my back on the edge of 'good achy' with weight lifting of boxes of books and papers both at the volunteer hours every week and dc-ing a bit more at home. It is all good.

Gma, you just about have me convinced to invest in a fitbit ! :wink: :mrgreen:

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 pm

i really do love my fitbit! I got the cheapest one since I don't have a smart phone for it to sync with anyhow. So I check on my computer now and then (once or twice daily). Once a week I get an email with the week's stars for making my step goals, with the best day being highlighted. It iwll count calories, monitor sleep, water intake can be entered. I don't use any of those features. One can even find fitbit friends and cheer each other on, issue challenges for comptetion.
I just discovered I can set my personal step goal, so for the rest of the winter I dropped my personal expectation from 10k to 8 so I would get more stars :lol:

oh, and our local TV station did a comparison of various pedometers and the fitbit came out as the most accurate of the ones they tested.

Gma

Post by Gma » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:26 am

I have been doing "cobra" for a couple days - my bone density said I need to work on improving my spine. Cobra is apparently a good yoga position for that. I kinow not to over do, and I have done my best not to. But those lower back muscles hhaven't been worked much at all, so anything is a challenge. And last night I tried a couple stretches too, cz I am soooooo not flexible.
today my low back hurts. (I have shovelled driveways and sidewalks a little more than usual the past 3 days as well) so I am going to turn up my thermostat, get into the tub, soak, wash my hair, before going back up to mother's/

ok, so after midnight is a terrible time to do this, but I can't seem to live on my schedule, I have to live on mother's, so here I am.

Smile*Lee

Post by Smile*Lee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm

*wtg everybodeeeee! Hmm.... been thinking about a Fitbit for a long time. If edium gets one, I definitely need one. :wink: :mrgreen:

I missed the Monday elliptical. In the spirit of Gma, I'll stick with 1 set this week so I can get more colored days. :wink: :lol:

:arrow: February Cardio Challenge
• Work towards :30 daily cardio
• planks

Week 2 :arrow: 1 set of :10 cardio & :01 plank

In addition...
M • Gym - power plate, weights
T •
W • Gym
Th •
F • Gym

February
Week 1 :arrow: :10 ellipitcal - 7 days = 1:10

edium

Post by edium » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Omron's battery bit thee dust with no warning again. :x Have no clue what I achieved yesterday for steps and it was a better day with much outside activity. :roll: I'll try to repeat it today, at least until the Thunderstorms forecast roll in. Then again, maybe they won't ? ! :lol:
Think I'll go search Fitbit's for real right now !
Also a Cobra yoga pose. :wink: WTG Gma !

and WTG Smilee ! You have a great planned schedule !