Weekly exercise pledge October 8th to 14th

Welcome to our newest board! Post here to inspire others and be inspired to better your health. Some of the topics you may see discussed here are fitness, weight loss, and the importance of drinking water. Creating new healthy habits is much more fun when you have SHE friends with whom you can share your triumphs and struggles! Join the Fun!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Weekly exercise pledge October 8th to 14th

Postby Doodle Do » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

It's all about giving ourselves the opportunity to meet a challenge, and, whatever happens, doing more than we would have.
State your exercise plans for the week then post when you've done it. You can be as specific or as vague as you like in your plans. Be realistic in your goals - if you're not used to exercising or just getting back into it start off small - remember Baby Steps! At the end of the week add up your total and see how you did!

LINKS
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tibetan-rites-practice

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness.html

http://www.limyoga.com/

http://www.irun.ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBR5MZmEsY tai chi[
Doodle Do

Re: Weekly exercise pledge October 8th to 14th

Postby Doodle Do » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi All,

Last week was not a good one! I survived though, even if I am feeling a bit beaten up today.

Yesterday I did a 6 mile run and went for a swim - a mile in the pool.

I was going to go swimming again today but have decided today is going to be a rest day with just dog walking as gentle exercise.
Doodle Do

Postby helian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Be gentle on yourself ((Doodle)). It did sound like a rough week from what you've shared.
When is your triathlon? --Are you doing one?
It was difficult to fit in training this past week b/c I had so many slots of time already scheduled. In retrospect:
M - jogged 4.5 miles
T - jogged the arb hill x2
Sat. - jogged 8 miles

I hadn't intended to go 3 days without exercise, but rain + a mild migraine kept me from running on Friday as I had originally planned.

I can't go to yoga class, but I need to figure out how to get back to it? This teacher teaches it 3x/week. (1) I have a meeting every Tuesday night so I can't go to the regular 5:30 pm Tuesday class. (2) I have the S2KJ get together every Wednesday morning so the 11 a.m. Wed. class is not feasible. (3) Sunday at 2 is not my favorite time; we usually don't even walk out of the post-church restaurant until close to 2. Also, I've been out of town a couple Sundays, like today and the next 2 weeks and 2 weeks ago.

Thank goodness the half marathon will be over in a week. I'm looking forward to having the pressure (and time costs!) of keeping up with training out of my life. I might choose to maintain and run a similar schedule for a while, but it won't be with a race looming. I'm sure I'll scale back my long runs. Maybe to 10 miles, not sure.
helian

Postby Gma » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 pm

thanks for starting us off, doodle! enjoy your walk and day of rest.
helian, It is difficult to fit everything in!

I will do exercise class at least once this week - it is available 2x but one conflicts with my weekly church adult class.
My goal for this week is to order the same weights that we have at class. Thye comfortable, adjustable (as in, can be increased) and I should be doing these exercises 3x a week, class meets 2x a week, and I can only do it once. So i should be doing it 2x a week at home.
When I get my weights, I will be posting goals for activity at home.
Gma

Postby Gma » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/216706-free-tai-chi-exercises-for-seniors/

this is another site to check out.

I skipped adult study at church today - the tompic was walking the labyrinth. I ahve been to several labyrinth seminars and never recognized any personal benefit, so I skepped meditation class today and did bone builderes, which I usually miss on Monday. My body is not used to Monday exercise! so I am fatigued :shock:
but I will perk up after coffee and a couple pieces of my homemade cardamon bread.
then housework and cooking are calling!
may walk later today
Gma

Postby Smile*Lee » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:10 am

Hi Ladies! This will be a quick one. No internet out at the camp - or on the trails. We're in the western half of NC - hiking, biking, and camping our little brains out. I'm racking up the miles, steps, & flights! Today was 5.4 miles, about 15,000 steps and 15 floors. Friday was 9.6 miles, 22,000 steps and 20 floors. G about killed me that day, lol! Being out on the trails is so good for my soul.
Smile*Lee

Location: exotic Illinois ;) Joined SHEs on P&P's Webforums in 2001.

Postby jehanne2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 am

Helian, maybe you could follow an online yoga instructor? I like Tara Stiles (some of her beginner things, anyway), and Kitkat has some favorites to share, as well.

SmileLee, sounds like a wonderful workout!! I love hiking in the woods, too! :mrgreen:

Gma, "walking the labyrinth"? I've never heard of a labyrinth seminar. You could maybe try audio Bible study while you build your bones. We used to have some soothing tapes of someone reading the Psalms with flowing music in the background. It was really nice... but when we switched to CD, we lost that. :? Your cardamom bread sounds intriguing. I've been meaning to try adding cardamom to cinnamon rolls one of these days. But we really don't need cinnamon rolls... :wink:

Doodle, sorry you had such a rough week. Hopefully it is getting better! ((hugs))

No formal exercise for me today. I did some decluttering, and got in a bit of HIIT, chasing the geese. They were persecuting my clubfoot duck, and weren't easily dissuaded. Hopefully that spurt of energy was good for my anti-aging cells. Needs to be good for something anyway! :D
jehanne2

Postby Gma » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 am

ok, so a labyrinth looks like a maze, but it is a one way path and there are no choices. They are built inot floors of some of the great cathedrals, Chartes comes to mind, but I don't konw how to spell anything French. The path is to be walked slowly and meditatively, following the twists and turns of the path, aming for the Center, sometimes getting close but then there is a turn that takes one away and seemingly in the wrong direction. Pause in teh middle, then head out, contemplating what you have "learned" which for me has always been nothing! Supposedly it is meant to represent a pilgrimage, but obviously on a much smaller scale! There are 2 basic forms, one is teh Chartes style, the other is a spiral that just goes in and then comes out.

don't add cardamon to cinnamon. use one or the other. The bread dough would be about the same I think - if it includes heating milk and simmering the cardamon in it so the flavor comes in, like a tead only brewed with milk. Cool it enough that it doesn't kill the yeast..
Gma

Postby Doodle Do » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Smile*Lee, that sounds wonderful!

Thank you all for the hugs :)

Monday
40 minute run, it was awful running weather for October......so humid. I did 17000 steps for the day.

Today
I am going for a swim after work (I have written it so that will hopefully make it happen).

Helian, I am training for a marathon at the moment though I have done triathlons in the past.
My 40th birthday present to myself were swimming lessons so that I could do a tri. I now really enjoy swimming and love to get out in the open water. My son is a swimmer his passion is long distance open water swimming (he did an 18 mile swim this summer 3 days after a 15 mile swim). My swimming is very slow (think manatee) and I do tiny distances compared to that. My furthest is 3 miles.
Doodle Do

Postby helian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:31 pm

That is so interesting about walking the labyrinth, Gma. Do you do it in a class? Is it virtual?
Swimming even a mile sounds very impressive to me, Doodle. I'm not a great swimmer.
That sounds idyllic, Smile Lee! What a wonderful way to get in your exercise! Enjoy! -- Any rain from Nate?
That's actually a great idea, jehanne. I'll look into online yoga. Yoga for beginners is perfect for me. :mrgreen:

Exercise plan for this week:
M - jogged 4.5 miles
T - jog the arb hill x2
W - rain; maybe do a yoga video class?
Th - short easy jog;
F and Sat REST DAYS
Sun - Half Marathon Day :shock: :shock:

It's looking like a good chance of rain the morning of the half marathon. :shock: SO. .. . there's a decent chance I won't end up running it after all. I'll need to decide my own limits in that regard. It's still 5 days out so who knows what the reality of that day will actually be. . .
helian

Postby kitkat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 am

((((((Doodle )))))))) - and thanks for the start!
helian - one mile swim or 2 meters - is all the same to me. I get impressed b/c I never learned.
Training is the BEST part of the race... I think you'll miss it.:)
Gma labyrinth sounds so neat...
and cardamom anything sounds wonderful in my head...
SmileLee
trails are WONDERFUL. Enjoy
jehanne - love Cinnamon... Poor clubfoot duck:)

So...
We had the long weekend.
I did Yoga on Sunday plus 8,000 steps - outdoor walking on the trail.
Monday: Well over 10,000 steps (but can't tell how much - Fitbit was on charge for 1/2 a day. Outdoor walking in the neighbourhood
Tuesday: 8,000 steps and Pilates class
Wednesday: over 7,000 steps - with dGD:)
kitkat

Postby Gma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 am

at 8800 steps. finally got to walking track after 6 wks of not.
bone builders tomorrow, and will walk again, assuming my knee continues to feel good.
walking track is good - rubberized surface, soft. easy on body.
Gma

Postby kitkat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 am

WTG Gma!

Today: Sculpt class (my bone builder:) and 9,000 steps
kitkat

Postby helian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm

kitkat, I know how to swim but I don't enjoy it and have NO stamina in the water at all. I think Doodle must be a real athlete! WTG with your consistent exercise! I'm impressed by how much you and Gma do!! I don't know how old you are, but I think you're older than me, and I want to be like you when I grow up. :lol:

Glad you're back to walking the track, Gma. Take care of yourself! WTG staying so active!!

I had good runs M, T, and Th. I started easing up on Tuesday, per dh's suggestion. However, weather is still not looking good for the run. Temps will be very high,
66 - 69* forecast. And the wind will be high, about 20mph. And it's forecast to start raining about 1 hour after the first wave starts. Dh has already said he's not going to run the marathon under these conditions. He's considering the half, but probably not with rain one hour in. He's a good runner but can't do the half in one hour. We have hotel reservations so will need to cancel those if we decide not to go.
helian

Postby Gma » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:16 pm

helian, running in rain is no fun. Have you paid entry fee? yes I am getting "old" - will be 70 next month. longevity and health are in my fmailoy - my mom is 93 and in her own home (with lots of help from me) I admire the fitness it takes to be a runner!
kitkat, I would love to share cardamon bread with you
jehanne, I am so "tight" yoga requires more stretch than I can do
doodle, glad you post, you are an athlete!
(((smile*lee))) it's amazing how you fit it all in!
Gma

Postby Gma » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 am

mowed the back yard yesterday then walked with my walking partner. 14000 steps!
today my mother is in the hospital, I did a little raking in her yard before the rain , and I am at 8400 without even trying or "doing anything"
Gma

Postby Doodle Do » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Finally I can post again, the site hasn't liked me last week!!

Wednesday I ran three miles with my four legged friend
Thursday should have been a swim day but ended up a long day at work :shock:
Friday I did my 20.5 mile run, it wasn't fast but it's done and I'm still walking!
Saturday I walked 5 miles with the Doodle.
Today, well I should swim but I also need to do some housework and walk the dog.

Helian, I am no athlete..... :lol: I hope the rain holds off. I am originally from the U.K. rain is a fact of life there. 20 mile an hour winds are less fun!
Doodle Do

Postby kitkat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:59 pm

helian Thank you :lol: - I'm 60
- if you're running - wishing you the best!
If not - it's probably a wise decision - and still wishing you all the best:)
You've trained so hard - inspired us through the year! You probably feel you're in the best shape ever! :mrgreen:
(Hope you don't have our weather - we have warnings of 50 mile winds)
Last edited by kitkat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitkat

Postby kitkat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Doodle - you are amazing! 20 miles? It would take me day AND night :lol: (but then, I'm most likely older - although age is no excuse... we had a gentleman run a marathon at 100 :shock: )
WTG. Your doggie must love all the exercise. How much can s/he run?
Gma WTG -
hope Dmom is OK.
kitkat

Postby jehanne2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Oh, Gma, how is your mom? Hope she is doing better. <3 Glad that you are feeling better! 14000 steps is pretty amazing! :D

Helian, prayers for a good run/ good decision, and peace with the choice you made. <3

Doodle, 20.5 miles sounds incredible. Almost a whole marathon! :o

Kitkat, wow on the winds!! Have they calmed down yet? :shock:

My walking partner has to go in for surgery. Seems the cuff that holds her hip ball is torn, so she is out of commission for awhile. She is only 18. :cry: She feels okay while walking, but hurts afterward.
So, I've not done too well without her. Hoping to get back on track this week. I got close to 10,000 steps a couple times last week, but never over. Gotta do better! :?
jehanne2

Return to SHEs in Shape