Re: Good Morning it's Friday the 10th of November

Postby Pandora » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Image Good Friday Morning Dear SHEs!

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Pandora

Postby Pandora » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm

The internship was posted on a Florida employment website but you have to qualify for a certain youth program to get it. They didn't make that clear on the employment website. There have to be barriers to employment one of which was having a disability. He took two different tests yesterday and she told me she would let us know something after Thanksgiving. I am hoping disability alone will qualify him because if they go by income he won't qualify. They wanted a lot of personal and family information. His counselor at vocational rehab wants him to have a part-time paying job and this internship fits that bill. He would be getting paid training with the potential to be hired afterward. All we can do is try. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.
Pandora

Postby atlanticflyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:13 pm

you are a good advocate Pandi, is he looking in a particular field?
atlanticflyer

Postby Pandora » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Something he can mostly do independently with computers (without a whole lot of interaction with others). The internship is for programming which is what he is interested in. As far as something with little training required he could do data entry. What he can't deal with is phones & a lot of people. He has some experience with editing web pages but doesn't want to do design. Automation is something DH does that TwinA could eventually do with the right education. I'm trying to find ways to get him both money and training/education. Right now he's not getting either one. I still would rather him be in the program he is currently in than to sit at home. It was by chance that I ran across this new opportunity. His teacher and the vocational rehab didn't know about it. When I saw it on the employment website I just thought it was a job to apply for because it was posted just like all the other jobs one could apply for. I guess by law they had to post it for all to see. You have to qualify for the youth program though and that's what I'm waiting to hear back on. The school doesn't want him staying in the program he is in now because he has his high school diploma and is not as handicapped as the other students are. By law, he can stay in until he is 22 but it won't serve him any good purpose to do so. Like I said he needs money and an education or some on the job training. The vocational rehab counselor doesn't want to overwhelm him with full-time work though. She wants him to have part-time which would allow him to go to school too. There are certificate programs for computers at the small college he could take. He's very smart and it's just a matter of finding a good fit for him.
Pandora

Postby atlanticflyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:01 pm

I think he will do well with part timeeirk and education that will challenge him and give him skills in a field he loves. Hoping he can qualify to apply.
atlanticflyer

Postby Grammybug » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 am

Good evening, dear SHEs.

Pandora, I hope he qualifies for the program.
Grammybug

Return to Official SHEs in Touch Discussion Board