Any homeschoolers out there!

A place for our members to discuss the joys and trials of homeschooling.

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Any homeschoolers out there!

Postby asahmomofmany » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:12 am

Hello everyone. I have been homeschooling for 4 years now. I'm currently homeschooling 6th grade, 4th grade, 2nd grade and k. Along with a very active 3 year old that insists that I "do her homework" with her first! I've have found that ever since reading the S.H.E.'s book and implementing small changes that it has really helped with our homeschooling. I was finally able to create a spreadsheet to help me accomplish our objectives which has greatly reduced my stress level. We have been accomplishing our goals every day and I am ecstatic.

Does anyone else have any ideas that have helped them with organizing and homeschooling?
asahmomofmany

Re: Any homeschoolers out there!

Postby Bama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 am

Hi, Asa! Rhythm homeschools so you might run questions by her. Ducky was talking about homeschooling at one point, now she is a teacher. Can't think of anyone else offhand but I'm sure there are more. There are some other teachers on here as well. My neighbor homeschools but that probably won't help you much as she doesn't post here. ;)
Bama

Postby dearduckyducky » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 am

Actually, I am a teacher that works with homeschoolers!
dearduckyducky

Postby mamaforhim » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Are you asking for help with your 3 year old? Not sure, but if you are, I would have the 6th, 4th, and 2nd start their day independently,meaning they don't need your absolute input immediately...maybe have them start their day with a journal prompt.

While they are doing that, you can work on a letter with the 3 year old.

Another idea would be to pay your assistants ( 6th and 4th graders) to cut out large ( writing paper size) construction paper letters and pictures from mags/newspapers of thinks that start with that letter. Oh include the 2nd grader too! This would be a weekend or afterschool work thing

4th grader can find/cut out the pictures
2nd grader can sort them out into envelopes
6th grader can cut out big letters

They can do this while watching a favorite movie! Then when they are done, you put them aside and when your 3 year old wants to do letters first, you give her the envelope and the big letter with a gluestick and let her go at it, gluing the cutttouts to the big letter.
mamaforhim

Postby AlleyKat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:05 am

Hi Mama, those are really good suggestions, but I don't think Asahm posts anymore. I have always admired the one room school teacher, because he/she had to manage many different grades, and I guess a home school mom does, too!

We'd love to see you post more often, so join us on one of the other threads!
AlleyKat

Postby Sarahsback » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I homeschool & I was homeschooled 4th way through graduation. Then I went to college & got a BA! So, I know homeschooling works! I really want to get a lot more organized with homeschooling this year. My oldest is in 6th grade now! When the kids are little so much can just be learned through daily life. Turn the TV off & let them LIVE! We write letters to pen pals several times a week, read lots of books, cook, do lots of crafts & science experiments & go on tons of field trips. But, now I feel like it is time to do more serious sit down, textbook, more traditional learning for my oldest. I want to get her on a very good schedule & not let her take days off for not very good reasons. I am thinking of choosing 6 or 7 subjects and having her spend up to an hour a day on each subject (including what some would consider (homework). Does that sound like too much?
Sarahsback

Postby yamamama » Sat May 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Not exactly a homeschooler, but my DD going into her junior year of high school attends an online school. As she has no classroom to go to, she is with me all day and I function not really as her teacher, but more like a "learning coach." She has some learning differences and cannot be as independent as one might expect of a high school junior, so I do need to be pretty involved in helping her stay focused and organized ('cause, ya know, that's my strength :lol: not!)

Very interested if there is anyone out there interested in schooling support! Or maybe someone can point me in the direction of a more active board for this purpose?

Yay!

Thanks,
Yamamama
yamamama

Return to Homeschoolers Discussion Board