Anyone want to start a KNITTING thread, too????

This board is for discussion of crafts, hobbies or home improvement projects. Enjoy!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Gilli

Re: Anyone want to start a KNITTING thread, too????

Post by Gilli » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 pm

That sounds like a lovely idea, Butterfly! How many is 'we'?

My sister found a well-tattered booklet of patterns for young people to knit which our mother bought for us to knit when we were kids. She's let me have it, but I don't know for how long. There's quite a variety of patterns in it and I am tempted to do some of them again.

Gilli

butterfly
Location: <3 Always Believe that Something Wonderful is about to Happen <3

Post by butterfly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37 pm

It's my ddyounger and I who would like to finish up those projects that Mom started. Mom would bring the knitting bag with her if she was going to be riding in the car, when she was still mobile enough, and she also kept it near her chair in the living room. But doing little knitting projects was something that she had done for quite a number of years.

vergerswife

Post by vergerswife » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 am

Yes, why not, I have a booklet too, if I remember without searching for it, it had a dog on the front, could make a dogs coat, child's bonnet, or slippers for mother - all with thin wool, or squares to make up a hot water bottle cover, I made the hot water cover, wonder what ever happened to it?

I am making some baby hats booties etc, dh has volunteered me, for a project at a local church. At lest they are each fairly quick.

Gilli

Post by Gilli » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 pm

How are you and your dd getting along with those projects, butterfly? I hope it brings back many happy memories as you work on them.
Vw, enjoy those baby accessories project at the church - good of dh to volunteer you.

I'm finishing off a Christmas tree decoration atm and when that is done I hope to knit the doll's outfit the pattern for which is in that booklet. We often have unclothed dolls being donated at the charity shop where I volunteer and I'm hoping the pattern will clothe one of those.

When I knit these patterns as a child, my mother insisted that I use garter - and later, when I became more skilled, stockinette - stitch, but this time round they will be knit as directed in the pattern.

Gilli

vergerswife

Post by vergerswife » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 pm

I have knitted one set of baby things, hat jacket and boots from the Marianne patterns on the internet. It will be shown at the family service on Sunday, dh will do the showing :roll: .

Gilli

Post by Gilli » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 pm

How did the showing of the baby clothes go, VW? What happens to them next?

I completed the tree apart from the stem. I have still to cast that off and attach it to the tree.

Haven't decided yet whether to go back to my slipper or start on the things out of the old pattern book.

Gilli

vergerswife

Post by vergerswife » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 am

Dh showed the knitted set and explained "we" would do more. I have done a blue set (of jacket hat and boots) and started a pink one. I found I had less blue wool left over than the first (green) set, I bought the wool from Wilco, it didn't seem less in the ball.

Gilli

Post by Gilli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 pm

That was nice that your husband got involved. Disappointing about the wool.

Gilli

Suzee

Post by Suzee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello gilly and vergers! I've been AWOL here for awhile. Doggone life took over. Made scarves and hats for charity, and now seem to be making a lot of cotton bags, using the Sugar n' Cream or Peaches n' Cream cotton. Most of my yarn has been whittled down to a storage bin with lid, and my rolling craft case. And, everything else is in boxes.

What are you making/working on?

Gilli

Post by Gilli » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 am

Hi Suzee, good to see you here! Well done on the yarn whittling lol. Cotton bags sound like something pretty to knit.

Currently I am working on detangling some yarn, so that I can get on with finishing a phone cover for my son. I also have a wish list of projects I would like to knit but don’t seem to get around to it.

Gilli

Suzee

Post by Suzee » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 am

Gilli...I totally understand the wish list. How is the detangling coming along? I’ve been wanting to try out making a teddy bear. Maybe when things settle down around here. :)

Gilli

Post by Gilli » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

The detangling is going very slowly, Suzi. I don't get much opportunity to work on it, mainly due to Yuki. I wish I could spend more time on it. What about your teddy bear? I remember starting on an a giraffe - I think it was a giraffe - many years ago in my youth, but didn't stick with it and never completed it. I don't know if I even completed all the parts. I probably did, but baulked at the sewing up.

I started knitting a jumper for a doll someone gave me to clothe. I'm having to make it up as I go along, but basing it on the fish-and-chip baby jumper pattern. I did have a pattern which I had made up from the baby jumper and that pattern was to fit a Mary Maxim doll, but I had it written on a small piece of paper which became very scrappy and is now missing. The current doll is much smaller than that, so I would have had to adapt the pattern anyway. I started the jumper for it in pink, but am thinking of restarting with red as the doll as bright red lips and I don't like pink with red.

Gilli