Pre-made Freezer Meals

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

waterbug

Pre-made Freezer Meals

Post by waterbug » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:31 pm

I would love to see some pre-made freezer recipes. You know, the ones that you pull out of the freezer let thaw and throw into the oven. I don't have any right now, but probably will at a later date. Thanks.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:42 am

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/newpage.html

This site has a great deal of info. Hope you find it helpful.

LadyHawke

Hot Pockets

Post by LadyHawke » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 pm

originally posted by Luvschweetheart

Okay I went to the Hot pocket website and looked at all the kinds they sell. I wrote those down plus a few of my own ideas :)

Barbecue Beef (sliced roast & bbq sauce)

Beef & cheddar (sliced roast & cheddar cheese)

Taco (seasoned taco meat & cheese)

Cheeseburger (ground beef, cheese, ketchup ect.)

Chicken & Cheddar w/ Broccoli (chicken, broccoli & cheese)

Chicken Fajita (chicken, cheeses, peppers & onion)

Chicken Melt w/ Bacon (chicken with cheese & bacon)

Four Cheese Pizza (4 different cheese & pizza sauce)

Four Meat & Four Cheese Pizza (Sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon & ground beef + 4 chesses and pizza sauce)

Italian Style Meat Trio (pepperoni, salami & sausage with cheese & pizza sauce)

Jalapeno Steak & Cheese (pieces of steak, cheese & jalapeno peppers)

Meatballs & Mozzarella (Meatballs, cheese & pasta sauce)

Pepperoni Pizza (Pepperoni, cheese & pizza sauce)

Philly Steak & Cheese (pieces of steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms & cheese)

Steak Fajita (steak, cheese, peppers & onions – maybe cook it up the meat and veggies in a fajita sauce first)

Chicken Alfredo (chicken, red peppers, broccoli in Alfredo sauce)

Chicken Parmesan (Chicken, mozzarella & marinara sauce)

Garden Fresh (mushrooms, zucchini, red-yellow & green peppers, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, mozzarella cheese, spaghetti sauce)

Reuben (Thousand Island dressing, Slices of Corned beef, sauerkraut & cheese)

Sausage & pepperoni Pizza

Sausage Pizza

Turkey & Ham with cheese

Ham & Cheese

Tuna Melt

Pasties:
1 ½ lbs. coarse ground round steak
1 ½ C. chopped onion
1 C. rutabaga (or turnip), diced, ¼ in.
1 C. potato, diced, ¼ in.
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
¼ C. fresh chopped parsley or 2 T. dried
To prepare filling:
In large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Mix gently until thoroughly combined.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Set aside.

Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide the dough into six pieces and roll out each piece into an 8 1/2" circle, about 1/8" thick.

Place about 1 cup of the filling on half of the circle. Spread the mixture to within 1/2" of the edge. Brush the edge with water and fold top half over filling. Seal and crimp the edges. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Make a small slit, about 1/2" long, on the top of the pasties.
Brush with the egg and water mixture.
Place in oven.
If desired, place 1/2 t. of butter through the slit of the pasty after 30 mins. of baking, to keep the filling moist.
MAKES: 6 pasties
TEMP: 400F
TIME: 50 - 60 mins.

I am planning on using the pasty dough to make my hot pockets because it isn’t too bready like pizza dough would tend to be and it holds up great to lots of fillings.

Here is the recipe for that:
CRUST:
7 C. flour
1 1/2 C. shortening (or butter)
1 t. salt
Enough water to hold together
To prepare the dough:
In large bowl, place 3 cups of flour. Stir in salt. Cut the shortening (or butter) into the flour using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add the ice water a little at a time until dough forms.
If dough is too sticky, add enough remaining flour so that it's no longer sticky.
Make into a ball and wrap in plastic.
Place in refrigerator to chill 15 - 20 mins.

When done and cooled, I am going to wrap mine individually in plastic wrap or wax paper and then put them in freezer bags. Keeping all of one kind in a bag. Hope that gives you an idea.

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to add them in

originally posted by Tambrey

A couple of questions:
1.) your list states shortening, but your directions say butter...

2.) your list states 7C flour, but you only ever mention adding 3C to the bowl, plus a little more as needed, when do we add the other 4 C?

Thanks, I am hoping to get some ingredients today to make a few of these tomorrow...

originally posted by Luvschweetheart

Tambrey you can use butter or shortening. whatever is your personaly preference. As far as the flour goes. You want to use enough flour to make it work able. Start off with the 3 cups and gradually add as much of the remaining that you need. It doesn't mean that you will need ALL seven cups. I never really measure after 3 cups, I just dump and work the dough.

~*~HeavenOnEarth~*~

Post by ~*~HeavenOnEarth~*~ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:16 am

I have done freezer cooking in the past. Love being able to have kids pull a homemade premade dinner out of the freezer! Hopefully I can get back to this soon. Thanks you three for the info & starting this topic.

trissie

Post by trissie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 pm

When it comes to freezer dinner, it usually means meat only - you still have to make the sidedish, but hey, how long does it take to make rice, pasta or mashed potatoes (especially when you have the instant kind).

I either freeze leftovers (with just 2 of us, it is easy), or make stew on nights I am in the kitchen cooking something else, as stews just sit and simmer most of the time :-)

Mushroom stew
ingredients:
1-2 pounds beef/pork, cut in smaller cubes
1-2 onions, chopped
1 can of mushrooms or 1 cup of dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water
flour
oil
salt and pepper to taste
instructions
1. heat oil and cook onions.
2. Add meat and stirr till all meat is browned on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Add mushrooms (if you are using the dried ones, dump them with the water, otherwise drain) and enough hot water to cover the meat plus a little extra.
4. check on the stew about every 15 mins if it needs more water and stirring. Cook for 1.5 hours or till meat is tender.
5. mix flour with cold water, add into stew to create thick sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

variations:
I. no mushrooms, instead add garlic to the onions
II. no mushrooms, but a lot of paprika over the meat. Maybe even some chilli if you like it spicy :-)

Freezes well and is really tasty over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. We tend to have one package in the freezer at all times, for the nights when I come late from work but still want to have warm meal. Stew's really the thing in this household :-)

TimePig

Post by TimePig » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 pm

I highly recommend the book, Once a Month Cooking. It gives some recipes, but that isn't the important part. It sets you up for how to bulk cook and shop. It is best done with someone, but it isn't necessary.

Adapt meals as you go. If you don't have a lot of storage space, just cook for a week or two. You really don't need 30 meals a month. Twenty typically did us for the month. Leftovers, evenings out, and pizza delivery filled in the missing days.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:50 pm

I recommended this book at our library, I have checked it out a couple of times!!

dearduckyducky

Post by dearduckyducky » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:39 am

Bumping this up!

With my hectic schedule, I'm trying to get at least three meals in the freezer every weekend. I'm just cooking double, then the leftovers or an entree gets put in the freezer.

Last nights Freezer meal....

Salsa Chicken Burritos (amounts are enough for my family of 6 for two meals)
5-6 chicken breast halves (boneless and skinless)
2 cups salsa
1 cup uncooked rice
flour tortillas
burrito toppings

Put the chicken breasts into a sauce pan and enough salsa to just cover them. Bring to a low boil. Cover and simmer for a good 45 minutes or until the chicken is done. Take the chicken out of the sauce and shred or cut into pieces. (I just take two forks and pull the chicken apart) Put the chicken back into the salsa, add about 1 3/4 cup water bring back up to a good simmer. Add in uncooked rice. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir and use as burrito filling.
This is also a great crockpot recipe. Put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot in the morning, by the time you come home you just need to shred the chicken! If you do it in a crockpot, I suggest cooking the rice in a seperate pan then stirring it in.

Tonight I was going to make a hamburger helper type thing. We decided to order pizza instead. So, I'm precooking the burger and we'll use it another night.

dearduckyducky

Re: Pre-made Freezer Meals

Post by dearduckyducky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Bumping this up.

I made this recipe last night. It was quite good! I used fresh roma tomatoes instead of the canned stewed tomatoes. I made the double batch size. This gave us enough for dinner last night, four quart bags for the freezer, and one small container for DHs lunch today.

http://www.30daygourmet.com/Recipes/1973.aspx