Breads, Rolls, Muffins, etc

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Karennabop
Location: We can't avoid the storms, but we can learn to dance in the rain.

Post by Karennabop » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:15 am

*Original post by Hansbrea*

Fun and SuperG wanted to know what Bisquick was. I figured it would be best to post it here along with my families favorite recipes. For those of who want additional recipes, you can check http://www.bisquick.com. I absolutely love the stuff but prefer the homemade version better. Here is my recipe that I have.

Quick Mix
8 1/2 cups flour
3 tbs. baking powder
1 tbs. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening or margarine, chunked

Can be used as a substitute for anything calling for Bisquick. You mix everything together with a pasty mixer or hand mixer. I prefer the electric method and actually use my Bosch. It will look like coarse cornmeal in texture. It works great.

I like the chicken pot pie recipe (very similar to cheeseburger pie). Also I make the biscuits all the time. They are not a cookie but more of a dense bread item.

Quick Mix Biscuits
I actually don't know how many cups of mix to use to make biscuits. I just toss it in until I think there is enough. I'm sure there is an amount listed on the website, though. You just add enough milk to make the mix not stick to your fingers. Roll out and cut with a jar lid, round biscuit cutter or just pat into a round shape about 1" thick if you like thick biscuits, thinner if you don't. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes. They are a side item like cornbread.

Biscuits and Gravy
To do the biscuits and gravy, you just pour the gravy over top of the biscuits and add sausage chunks if you'd like. That's generally a breakfast item but I love it so we have it for dinner, too. LOL. Oh, to answer the gravy questions, it is country gravy (a white gravy with pepper and sausage flavoring in it).

Impossible Pizza Pie
2/3 cup onions, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
3/4 cups quick mix or Bisquick
1 cup pizza sauce
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 1/2 ounces pepperoni pizza slices
1/3 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated

Great 10" pie plate. Sprinkle 2/3 C onion and 1/3 C parmesan cheese in pie plate. Beat milk, eggs and baking mix until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Spread pizza sauce over top. Top with remaining ingredients. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is light brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serves 6.

Impossible Taco Pie (I really like this one)
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning mix, 1.25 oz.
3/4 cup quick mix or Bisquick
1 1/4 cups milk
3 eggs
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 head lettuce, shredded
1 tomato diced
1 small can tomato sauce
(I've also added various canned or frozen vegetables, too)

GREAT pie plate. Cook and stir ground beef and onion in skilled until beef is brown; drain. Add meat to empty bowl. Stir in seasoning mix, lettuce, tomatoes, sauce, and any other veggies you want to add. Stir together. Spoon into pie plate. Add cheese on top. Beat baking mix, milk and eggs about 1 minute with whire whisk until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake at 400 degrees about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Chicken Pot Pie
I don't have a recipe written for this one so I am going to wing it.

1 + lb chicken, cubed and cooked
1 small bag mixed frozen vegetables
1 can cream of chicken soup
pinch of pepper
milk, (to think soup - however much desired)
chopped onion, if desired, to your taste

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into baking dish. Add a quick mix topping as you would in Impossible Lasagna pie or one of the others. Bake for same amount of time.

Impossible Lasagna Pie
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 pound extra lean ground beef, cooked and drained
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
6 ounces tomato paste
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup bisquick or quick mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Great pie plate or square baking dish 8x8x2". Mix cottage cheese and parmesan cheese with spoon. Spread in pie plate. Mix cooked ground beef, 1 C of mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil and tomato paste. Spoon evenly over top. Beat milk, eggs, baking mix, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.

Impossible Pumpkin Pie (No crust needed!)
1 16 oz. can canned pumpkin
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 tbs. butter, softened
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup quick mix or Bisquick
2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. vanilla

Grease 10" pie plate. Beat all ingredients in blender 1 minute or until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Mom didn't include a temp on this one, I think it is probably 325 or 350. Sorry! But, it does taste great!

Impossible Cheesecake
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup bisquick or quick mix
16 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes and softened
1 cup sour cream
2 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Grease 10" pie plate. Beat milk, eggs, sugar and baking mix in blender on high for 15 seconds. Add cream cheese. Cover and blend two minutes. Pour into pie plate. Bake 40-45 minutes or until center is set. Cool.

Prepare cheesecake topping by mixing last three ingredients. Carefully spread over top. Serve with canned pie filling or fresh fruit on top if desired. (I love the topping as a regular spread for other things, too. Also can be used as a dip.)

Bisquick Peach Custard Dessert
2 1/2 cups quick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tbs. sugar
3 tbs. butter, melted
16 ounces peaches in juice, drained, or 2 peaches peeled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/3 cup sour cream
1 egg
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Mix baking mix, milk and 3 tbl butter. Spread in ungreased square pan 9x9x2". Arrange peach slices on top. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over peach slices. Mix sour cream and egg. Drizzle over top. Bake at 375 degrees 35-40 minutes. Serve warm and with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

Glazed Lemon Bars
1 cup quick mix
2 tbs. powdered sugar
2 tbs. margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs. bisquick
2 eggs
2 tsp. fresh lemon peels, grated
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbs. lemon juice

Mix 1 C baking mix and the powdered sugar. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Press in ungreased 8x8x2 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until light brown. Mix in remaining ingredients except powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over baked layed. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until light brown. While warm, loosen edges from side of pan. Spread with glaze mix of 1/2 C powdered sugar and 1 tbl. lemon juice. Cool and cut into bars.

Whew! There was a lot more than I thought! I hope some of you ladies enjoy these recipes. Some of them I had never read and am now planning on making them. I had thought there were something else. LOL. Have fun!

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:01 am

My family's favorite Bisquick recipe is Pepper Cheddar Biscuits.

2 Cups Bisquick or K-Bop's recipe (which I will have to try, TY K-Bop)
2/3 Cup milk
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
about 1/3 Cup TOTAL chopped green and red bell peppers
1/4 Cup chopped red onion
2Tbsp minced garlic

mix that all up. I just do "drop biscuits" where you don't roll them out, just drop biscuit size blobs onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.

Melt some butter and add some garlic powder or minced garlic and brush that over the top of the biscuits when they come out of the oven.

YUMMY!!

K-Bop~ So you can use that the same way you use bisquick for pancakes? are there any alterations in the recipe I would need to make? I can make bisquick pancake batter in my sleep (which is normally how I do it b/c DKids are hollering for breakfast before my coffee kicks in
:wink: ) That's why I was wondering... I may have to train myself to make it differently. LOL

Oh and the Betty Crocker website has lots of Bisquick recipe ideas too...

http://www.bettycrocker.com/

Karennabop
Location: We can't avoid the storms, but we can learn to dance in the rain.

Post by Karennabop » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:55 am

I would assume so, but I can't say for sure, as Hansbrea/Queen Brea is the one who made the original post. I just pulled it off the old threads, lol :D

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:06 pm

originally posted by WymoingSHE

I have made a very easy Irish Soda Bread.

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. butter milk

Mix ingredience and bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 am

Bread and Butter Pudding

5 slices bread
butter, to apply to the bread
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

The original directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Soak the raisins in the boiling water.
3. Butter the bread slices and cut them diagonally.
4. Arrange them in a baking dish (greased lightly or non stick).
5. Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl.
6. Bring the milk and sugar in a pan to boiling point.
7. When it reaches this point take off the fire and add the vanilla .
8. Add the hot milk mixture slowly to the beaten egg.
9. Stir continuously till the egg is incorporated and the mixture thickens.
10. Sprinkle the raisins over the bread slices and in between them too.
11. Pour the custard over the milk and put the baking dish into the hot oven.
12. Bake for 25 mins or till tester comes out clean.
13. Sprinkle cinnamon powder over it when still hot.
14. Serve hot or warm or even cold.

Ok now the way I make it...

I don't use raisins. I only use egg yolks then add about 2T water and 1/3 cup cornstarch to them after you beat them. When you add the milk to the eggs, only add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the milk to the eggs, stirring constantly, then add the egg mixture back into the pan of milk and heat for about one more minute.. stirring constantly.

The reason I do it this way is b/c it turns out more like a pudding. Rich and creamy. I don't like the texture of it the original way. But some people do. Try it both ways and see what you think.

I also make a Vanilla Sauce to go over it....

1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup water

melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Mix in powdered sugar until all butter has been dissolved. Remove from heat. Slowly mix 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Then mix the egg mixture back into the pan. Add vanilla. Mix in water (you can also use whiskey or amaretto, I like it with brandy). mix well and serve over bread pudding, ice cream, pie, french toast or whatever suits your fancy! :D [/b]

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 am

OMG, Hopeful! That sounds SOOOO GOOD!! And I have everything I need to make it. I'm gonna make it tonight!!!

Just so ya know, I'm on a weight loss challenge team on Spark and if I gain tonight I am totally blaming you! :lol:

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm

originally posted by Keades

Banana Bread

This was my grandmother's recipe:

Mix together & set aside:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (or more) chopped nuts - I think you could leave these out and not affect anything

Cream together in mixer:
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar

Mix in:
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
3 VERY RIPE banans

Add flour mixture

Bake in greased & floured loaf pans at 375 for 45-50 minutes, or until straw inserted in center comes out mostly clean.

The secret to this is VERY RIPE bananas. I like to save them until just before they attract flies. Really mushy! That's the main thing about any banana bread, really, the bananas have to be like that to have enough flavor.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:11 pm

originally posted by Freed

I use to dislike banana bread until I tried this recipe. My DS23 has been known to call me up to ask me what I am doing and whatever my response is he says, Oh, your making banana bread, Ill be right over. He often brings me his over ripe bananas. And yes it is just as good without nuts. I make it that way for the DMIL.

• Banana Bread •

Preheat oven to 350 degrees - Grease loaf pan

2 Cups All-purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Butter, softened (no substitutions)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 or 4 Bananas, extra ripe, mashed
1 Cup Chopped Nuts, optional

Sift flour, soda and salt. Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Stir in mashed bananas. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts.

Bake in well greased loaf pan or 8-inch square cake pan for 1 hour or until tests done.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:31 pm

originally posted by Tambrey

Baked Raspberry-Vanilla Pudding
I am putting this here as well since it is almost like a bread pudding

1 package (10oz) of frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed
4 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Lightly butter a 9 inch deep dish pie plate or 1 quart shallow baking dish
spread the raspberries and thier syrup evenly over the bottom of the pie plate
in a blender or food processor, combine eggs, milk, cream, flour, 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla; blend well
pour the batter slowly over the fruit.
sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar
bake 20-25 minutes or until the pudding is set and the edges are golden brown.

It is still a bit thin looking when you remove it from the oven, but it sets up as it cools.

For a variation, we also use blueberries...if you have a 16 oz bag, put about 1/3 into the blender along with
1/8 cup of water and a tablespoon of sugar and blend into a syrup.
Add all but about 1/4 cup of the blueberries left in the bag and just swish them in the syrup,
then pour that into the pie plate and add the batter as above.

If you have fresh raspberries, you can do that too, just so the mixture is equal to about 10 oz total...

momof8

Post by momof8 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 am

Tried the banana bread the kids horked it down in about 4 seconds. IT's a keeper. :D

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:39 am

mamabear wrote:Wont the amish bread spoil on the counter with the milk not being refrigerated? I am so scared to try that. (just curious)
Hopeful wrote:mamabear~ Ya know, I would think so too, but we've been eating it for a billion years (ok maybe not quite that long, but you get the idea :wink: ) and we're all still alive! So... to answer your question, I dunno! :wink: HTH :D
LadyHawke wrote:I think the answer is that it has LIVE active cultures growing in it..GOOD ones...so they take what they need to continue to grow and do not leave anything for bad bacterias to begin....
does that make sense?!
AnnieM wrote:I know the answer about the amish bread starter.

The culture produces lactic acid that makes the starter is too acidic for other micro-organisms to grow.

Plus you are going to cook the bread, so even if the culture was contaminated with one of the bacteria that make you sick (of which there really aren't very many) the cooking would kill it and you would still be safe.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 am

LadyHawke wrote:
mamabear wrote:Girls/guys I am in need of a traditional Irish Soda bread recipe. Although I am a mutt I am more Irish than anything. I have many Irish men here and DH although not Irish at all makes a great Irish Venison Stew on Saturday morning of our Roast. We usually buy the bread but would like a recipe to see if it works out well.

Since we will have oven on anyway we thought we'd try it.

ANY old time recipes would be appreciated. If you have a recipe that is something you wish to not publish here but would like to give me Please PM me. I always tweek what i need as well so if its a recipe that is strictly do not tweek let me know! :wink:

I gladly appreciate anything. My Maternal Great Grandmother was pure Irish and French her flaming red hair showed her Irish side. My Paternal Grandmother was pure Irish and her temper and flaming red locks also showed her Irish roots. I would love to honor them by learning how to make this.

Thank you all.
Karennabop wrote:I, too, am an American Mutt, amongst other things I am Scottish and Irish, and I am always looking for things that testify to those roots. I googled this and it looks very interesting, not only for the recipes but for the information on various traditions as well. Enjoy! :D

http://www.sodabread.us/
mamabear wrote:this will be tried today. wooo hoooo
Lady*Smile wrote:Food Ireland
Karennabop wrote:Mmmm...looks good, Smile!
WyomingSHE wrote:I have made a very easy Irish Soda Bread.

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. butter milk

Mix ingredients and bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 am

originally posted by trissie

I found a recipe for banana bread that my family loves! And, it's low fat low sugar with great taste!

It's taken from here: http://www.recipezaar.com/2885 (recipezaar IS my favourite place to search for American recipes)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar (I only use 1/2 cup and it's sweet enough!)
3 large egg whites (I use whole eggs, don't like the yolks sitting around in my fridge, but with egg whites only it is low cholesterol)
4 ripe bananas, peeled mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, sugar, egg whites, banana and vanilla.
Add flour mixture all at once and stir gently to blend.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
Cool bread completely before slicing.

Queenbrea

Post by Queenbrea » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:40 am

K-BOP, YOU CAN USE THE QUICK MIX AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR ANYTHING FOR BISQUICK.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 am

from sandyleew

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/making-monkey-bread

* RECIPE
* Work Time: 45 Minutes
* Rising Time: 1 Hour
* Baking Time: 30 Minutes
* Total Time: 2 1/4 Hours

* FOR THE BREAD
* 1/4 cup warm water
* 3 1/4 cups flour
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus pinch for yeast
* 3/4 cup milk, warmed
* 2 tablespoons shortening, plus more for pan and bowl
* 1 package yeast

* FOR THE COATING
* 1 stick butter, melted
* 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
* FOR THE ICING
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup milk
* TOOLS
* Mixing Bowls
* Liquid Measuring cups
* Dry Measuring cups
* Measuring Spoons
* Bundt pan, (10-inch)
* Mixer with dough hook
* Plastic wrap
* Bench Scraper, or butter knives
* *dough can also be kneaded by hand

Directions

1. Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in small bowl; sprinkle yeast over top. Stir; let the yeast soften and dissolve, about 5 minutes.

2. Place shortening, warm milk, sugar, salt, and egg in mixer bowl. Grease Bundt pan and a medium bowl.

3. Once yeast is dissolved and foamy, add it to mixer bowl; mix well with dough hook. Slowly add flour. Knead on medium-low 1 minute or by hand 5 minutes. Place in the greased bowl; cover with plastic. Set dough in warm place and let rest 20 minutes.

4. Make coating: Put melted butter in a bowl. In another bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nut mixture in Bundt pan. Cut dough into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll into balls.

5. Dip balls in butter, then roll in nut mixture; place in prepared Bundt pan.

6. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size.

7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan.

8. Turn bread out of pan; cool 20 minutes on rack or plate.

9. Make icing: In small bowl, stir milk into confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over bread.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 pm

If you are looking for LOTS of bread machine recipes
click this link!

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 pm

English Muffin Bread- This is really good hot from the oven, but super toasted the next day.
2 c milk 2 tsp salt
2 pack yeast(instant or rapid ) 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tab sugar 5- 6 c flour( I use 2 cups whole wheat)
cornmeal
Heat milk and 1/2 c water til very warm -. Mix yeast , sug, salt, soda and 3 cups of flour. Add liquids to it and beat in mixer(big one if you've got it) til fairly smooth. Start stir in rest of flour,til makes a stiff batter- may only need the 5 cups.Now- this gets messy - pull the sticky dough out and plop it into 2 very well-greased loaf pans that you also sprinkled with corn meal. Smooth out dough on top-leave a bit of a hollow in middle as you're going to sprinkle some of that cornmeal on top and that will keep it from going all over the oven(ask me how I know :roll: . Let rise covered for
25 min if use rapid rise yeast, 45 min if use reg yeast. Bake for 25- 30 min at 400 degrees . Make sure to take it out of pans while hot . Enjoy.

countrycook

Re: Breads, Rolls, Muffins, etc

Post by countrycook » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 am

This is my fav bread machine bread recipe- the bread comes out nice and tender,great for sandwiches.
Oatmeal Molasses bread
1 1/3 c very warm water
1/4 c molasses
2 Tab oil
1 tsp salt
3 c (aprox ) flour(you can use reg all purpose but I like King Arthur flour the best )
3/4 c oats
1/2 c wheat bran or whole wheat flour
1/4 c potatoe flour or dry instant mash pot ( this keeps the bread moist and tender for a long time-if it lasts very long :roll: )
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Add ingred in the correct order for your machine. I usually just use the dough cycle then shape, let rise for 20-30 min, then bake .

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Mexican Tortilla Wraps

Original Recipe Yield 18 tortillas
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole wheat bread flour
1/2 cup shortening
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water all-purpose flour for rolling

Directions

In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, and salt. Rub in the shortening by hand until the mixture is the texture of oatmeal. Make a well in the center, and pour in the boiling water. Mix with a fork until all of the water is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with a bit of additional flour, and knead until the dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be smooth.

Make balls the size of golf balls, about 2 ounces each. Place them on a tray, and cover with a cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.

Heat a griddle or large frying pan over high heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a tortilla to your preferred thinness.

Fry one at a time. Place on the griddle for 10 seconds, as soon as you see a bubble on the top, flip the tortilla over. Let it cook for about 30 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds. Roll out the next tortilla while you wait for that one to cook. Repeat until all of the balls have been cooked. Tortillas can be refrigerated or frozen.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Beer Bread

a friend just gave me this recipe...he is making it to go with their supper....wish I had something other than Guinness in the house!!!

3 cups self-rising flour
3 Tbs sugar
1 (12 oz.) can beer
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:

Put flour, sugar and beer into mixing bowl and mix until well blended.
Pour into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. No raising needed.
Bake total of 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
After 30 minutes of baking, brush top with melted butter.
Bake additional 10 minutes, tap on bottom, if it sounds hollow, remove from pan and cool

This is the one we usually use you can add cheese, dehydrated onions, garlic or anything else you would like to add to it

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Pizza Crust - directions for Regal bread machine .This makes 2 large crusts- I filled a large jelly roll pan + 12" round pan,it was almost too thick.Prob could get three 12" rounds out of this if you like a bit thinner crust.

1 1/4 cups warm water (aprox, you may need to add a bit more as it mixes )
2 tab olive oil
1 tsp sug
2 tsp salt
1/4 c cornmeal
3 tab whole wheat flour
3 c unbleached white flour( I use King Arthur Flour and love it)
1 tab yeast-I used reg but if you need it faster use Instant or rapid and cut rise time in 1/2

Put in machine, in order for your machine, use Dough setting . Only go as far as knead and first rise-it's usually 1/2 way thru the rise section ,or aprox 30 min for rise. Take out of machine-turn out onto floured surface,just move it around a bit til it holds together and let rest 10 min.Then knead just a bit, roll or stretch to fit pans ,put fav topppings on ,bake and eat.
countrycook

countrycook

Post by countrycook » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Here it is Kitkat and anybody else that wants some great rolls for bread machine.These are my Df Dottie's recipe -we swapped our prize winning recipes back and forth.

Dotties Rolls for Bread Machine makes aprox 2 doz pan type rolls or 2 1/2 doz crescents
1 egg room temp plus enough warm water to equal 1 2/3 cup(water temp aprox 80 degrees)
1/4 c oil
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
*****4 and 2/3 c flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Put ingred in machine in order best for your machine
use dough cycle
Shape into rolls -can let rise for 15-20 min . Bake 375 degrees for aprox 20-25 min.
***- Most of the time I sub 1/3- 1/2 c of oat flour for part of the reg flour. I make oat flour by dumping reg old fashioned rolled oats into my food processor and keep pulsing it til it's been ground up fairly fine. It's a good way to get some fiber and goodness into most any recipe. I just automactically dump some into about everything .
Enjoy

FreeAtLast-WW
Location: Whatever happens, stay with me. I'll look after you.

Post by FreeAtLast-WW » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 pm

I want to save this recipe as it's the best I've found for this so far.....:)

Streusel Coffee Cake

Streusel (recipe to follow)
2c all-purpose flour
1c sugar (granulated
3tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/3-1/2c margerine or butter softened
1c milk
1 egg

Streusel:
1/2 c chopped nuts or an equivalent amount of oats (optional)
1/3 c packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or to taste (I usually add more)
3tbs firm margarine or butter

Combine streusel ingreds. with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Set aside.

Mix batter ingreds. by hand or with electric mixer or hand beater. Scraping sides occasionally, beat or mix for 2 minutes on medium until batter is smooth. Pour batter into greased 13x9in pan top with streusel, bake at 350F 30 minutes or until done.

Variations: Add chopped fresh, canned, or frozen fruit either inside or on top of the batter then add the streusel topping and bake.
Omit Streusel (but why I wonder?) top coffee cake with a simple powdered sugar glaze when done.
If you are out, 1/4tsp baking soda, plus 1/4tsp corn starch plus 1/2tspcream of tartar can be substituted for 1tsp double acting baking powder. For single acting baking powder, omit the cornstarch.
Last edited by FreeAtLast-WW on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sarshi

Post by sarshi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Free, that sounds absolutely yummy on a Monday morning.

FreeAtLast-WW
Location: Whatever happens, stay with me. I'll look after you.

Post by FreeAtLast-WW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:48 am

Beer Biscuits from the Strangford Lough Brewing Co. site. :) I made these for my family and they were an ENORMOUS hit. :D

Ingredients:
The basic version includes:

2 C Flour (lower-gluten makes for fluffier)
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
4 T Unsalted butter
1 C Shredded cheese (sharp cheddar works well)
2 T Chives (dried or fresh)
1/2 C Buttermilk
1/2 C Ale (something full-flavored, such as St. Patrick's Best)

1. Sift dry ingredients together.
2. Cut in room-temperature butter until crumbly in appearance
3. Toss in cheese and chives
4. Add buttermilk and ale
5. Turn dough with fork until no loose flour is visible
6. Kneed on floured surface a few times and pat to 1/2" thickness
7. Cut with biscuit cutter and place on non-stick sheet
8. Top with shredded and/or grated cheese
9. Bake for about 15 minutes at 450°F.

You can make several versions of the biscuits, with cheese and without, with buttermilk and butter, or even using one of our other beers instead. (note from Free: dark or light beer works in this recipe, whatever you like or have on hand :))