Freezing & Canning

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

LadyHawke

Freezing & Canning

Post by LadyHawke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:16 am

With the cost of vegetables and fruits any more, it is worth it to buy as much as you can during the summer at farmer's markets, pick your own sites and produce section at the grocery store...

ORRR....better yet...GROW YOUR OWN!!!!!

Make those purchases last as long as possible by freezing or canning!!

Give us your best recipes!!

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:16 am

I love to pick fresh berries and have them all year long...but trying to keep them in the freezer is not so easy...
I have lots of mulberry trees and black raspberry brambles on my property...the other trick is for me to get them before the birds do...and for me to actually get them into the house rather than standing out in the field eating them off the bush or tree :lol:

A few years ago, I found that if I carefully rinse them in a collander, then spread them out on a waxed paper cookie sheet and let them air dry a while, then place in the freezer, they do quite well...

Make sure when you spread them on the cookie sheet to freeze, they are not touching...and after they are frozen, bag and label then, and you can take out the amount you need any time you want to...

I even do grapes this way...frozen grapes are very good...but instead of letting them dry, especially if they are sour green ones which we get sometimes, I will roll then in sugar while they are wet from washing and go ahead and spread them out and freeze them that way...

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Thu May 22, 2008 7:41 pm

WONDERFUL SITE with LOTS of PDFs to download and file.....or refer back to later on

http://www.fcs.uga.edu/ext/pubs/food/canning.php

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri May 30, 2008 1:07 am

If you get a chance to buy the Ball Blue Book, it is the gold standard of canning. I used to can all the time, but now it is just Hubby and I, so it doesn't seem worth it.

Alley

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Fri May 30, 2008 3:29 am

I did get that book....Now I just need to get all the other stuff....I freeze alot, and have never canned....but I want to do tomatoes, salsa, etc this year, so I guess I need to learn how to can!!

I may even try some pickles.....my dad did alot of canning and made awesome pickles!!

I also want to try jellies....my grandmother made alot of these and I remember standing in her kitchen watching her line the jars on the card table she set up and then listening for the "pings"

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 am

LH did your GM use the glass lids at all? My mother still does although I wish she wouldn't. She doesn't listen to me.

I can but I don't like to freeze. I do the peaches, pears, applesauce, lots of salsa, all kind of jams and pickles. I will do pretty much whatever I can get my hands on for a good price. Fruit will be expensive this year as we got a really late deep frost and snow. I think it was the last weekend of April when all the blossoms are forming.

LadyHawke

Post by LadyHawke » Sat May 31, 2008 7:23 am

my grandmother used the regular rings and lids...little glass jars, but the tops were the ones that are still used today.....

Please feel free to post your recipes....especially salsas!!!!

I will grab fruits when I can and freeze or dry them...I will not be growing much yet, although more of a fruit orchard is in the plans for the next year or two...and I do have about 17 apple trees started.....braeburns and jonagolds....

and I have blueberry bushes to start....2 different kinds....and we have LOTS of mulberry trees and wild black raspberry brambles around....and gooseberries and I have no idea what other kinds of berries....

~!bensgal!~

Freezing Fresh Corn on the Cob

Post by ~!bensgal!~ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Freezing fresh corn on the cob...take a good sharp knife, and cut off one end of the corn, pull back the husk, and take it off of the cob..you will then see, little thread like strings, these are called silks, if you use a very soft scrub brush, or rubber gloves, you can get all of these off the cob. Cut off the other end of the corn. Make sure as you are taking the husk off the corn to check the corn for bugs..some times they have worms in them..if they do, cut that part of the corn off, that part of it is bad. after you have got all the corn shucked and clean of all the silks, get a very large pot, and put on some boiling water..put the corn in it..we leave ours in it for 2-3 minutes, to just blanch it, then have a large pot full of ice water to shock it and bring the temp of the corn back down... drain your corn well...Then put it into gallon freezer bags, make sure that the bag is sealed well and freeze. You will now have corn that is ready to drop in hot water and cook whenever you want.

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Salsa
Chop and combine:
8 cups peeled tomatoes
4 cups sweet green and yellow peppers3 cups onion
1 cup red pepper
1 cup seeded jalapeno
Add:
2 cups vinegar
4 cloves garlic
1 can tomato paste
2 T white sugar
1 T salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano

cook until it coats a metal spoon. Usually about an hour or so.

Process 20 min.

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 pm

This recipe has a lot of sentimental value. I got it at my bridal shower from a very dear friend of my parents who died about 5 years ago of brain cancer, and about 3 months before her husband died of lung cancer. They had been married for nearly 60 years.I have since given it to my mom who has passed it on to others.

Bucket Pickles

Boil:
4 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 tbsp pickling salt
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp turmeric

slice:
1 gallon cucumbers
1 quart onions

When vinegar mixture boils add vegetables and heat to boiling again. Boil 1 minute. Cool. Keep in a covered ice cream bucket in fridge. Keeps for months.

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:27 pm

I also just tried frozen cherry pie filling.

Line a pie pan with foil. Fill with pitted cherries and add 3 T minute tapioca 1 cup sugar, .25 cup lemon juice. Place directly in freezer and once frozen wrap. When you are ready to make the pie, make the crust and place the filling directly into the dough lined pan. Add the top crust and bake 350* F for an hour or until bubbly.

The recipe I used said nothing about thawing the filling, but I would do that.

Gma2b

Pear jam

Post by Gma2b » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:47 am

Pears from my mil cook book from 1940

1. Pear "Honey"
18 pears
8 slices pineapple, cut
Juice of 3 oranges
5# of sugar

Take peelings of 2 oranges and cook in two waters, then shave (grate) them fine or put them through food chopper. Mis all ingr., let stand overnight. Cook slowly until thick. Remove from fire and add 1/2 pt maraschino cherries with jusce (cut cherries).

2. Pear Jam
18 large ripe pears, peeled
1 #2 1/2 can crushed pineapple
2 small bottles maraschino
2 peeled oranges
2 whole oranges, rind and all
14 cups sugar

Grind all ingr. Mis with sugar and let stand over night. Cook slowly until thick. Put into jars and seal. Makes 9 pints.

3. Ginger Pear Jam
3 1/2 pounds pears (about)
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup, light
1 t powdered ginger
1 cup water
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
4T lemon juice

pare and core pears. slice 1/4 inch. Measure 8 cups.
Place in kettle with sugar, corn syrup, water, lemoon rind and juice. Cook, stir, until sugar is dissolved. Continue to boil slowly, until misture becomes clear and flakes from spoon, about 1 hour. Add ginger, cook 2 min longer . Pour into sterilized jars, seal.

I haven't tried any of these.

countrycook

Re: Freezing & Canning

Post by countrycook » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Apple Butter

This is all aprox- I sorta measured it one time,
but I really mostly go by taste and texture.

3-4 quarts unsweetened applesauce(home-made)
1/2 c cider or apple juice
1- 1 1/2 c sug(depends on apples)
1 Tab cin
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Cook aprox 6 hrs on hi in crockpot with cover off. Stir
occasionally as it will stick a bit to the sides.
Cook til desired thickness. An old cookbook told me how
to test -put a little bit on a cold saucer(put in freezer for a few minutes)
if the sauce doesn't have a big watery ring on the outside
edge then it's done. Can the same amount of time as regular
applesauce .

waterbug

Post by waterbug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Fake Pineapple Recipe

Ingredients:
4 qts. grated or diced zucchini
1 1/2c. lemon juice
1 (46oz.) can unsweetened pineapple juice
3 c.sugar

Directions:
Remove peeling and seeds from zucchini. Grate or dice. Mix all

ingredients thoroughly and simmer 20 minutes. Stir frequently. Pour hot

zucchini mixture into clean, sterilized jars and seal. Process 30

minutes in hot water bath.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Huh...who'd a thunk it? :lol:

nt2

Post by nt2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 am

Don't remember who wanted this but here it is

Barbecue sauce form Ball Blue book with my notes at end
Makes about 3 (16 oz) pints

Everyone will want to grill at your house when they taste this homemade barbeque sauce made from fresh tomatoes, onions, brown sugar, and lots of spice.

You will need:

20 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 21 medium)
2 cups finely chopped onions (about 3 to 4 medium)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp hot pepper flakes
1 Tbsp celery seeds
1-1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp salt
1-1/2 Tbsp ground mace or nutmeg
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Directions:
1.) COMBINE tomatoes, onions, garlic, hot pepper flakes and celery seeds in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
2.) TRANSFER mixture, working in batches, to a sieve placed over a glass or stainless steel bowl and press with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid and pulp. This can also be done using a food mill. Discard solids.
3.) RETURN liquid and pulp to saucepan. Add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, mace, mustard, ginger and cinnamon. Return to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes.
4.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
5.) LADLE hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
6.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Notes- I followed recipe quite closely but did add couple of good shakes of black pepper, and 2 tab of Worstershire sauce . I also cooked it down in oven ,over an hour, maybe hour and ½ . I’m very pleased with results, it’s quite thick and rather zippy which we like .

countrycook