chestnut ideas?

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

FrenchFlybebe

chestnut ideas?

Post by FrenchFlybebe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Does anyone on the boards cook chestnuts?

The chestnut trees in my area are giving us a lot of beautiful, shiny chestnuts.
I don't like them simply roasted as a snack - which is the usual way people eat them here. I'm looking for easy ways to use them in dishes. I'm going to try them peeled and boiled and added to a veggie soup. I'm curious if you have other ideas.

trissie

Re: chestnut ideas?

Post by trissie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 am

Never got around to make one, but I've heard from people that chestnut pies taste good, and also chestnut can be used in stuffing (turkey or chicken).

I myself am pretty happy with the roasted variety, that spells "advent" for me - my mom used to buy them for me during advent walks in the town :-)

FrenchFlybebe

Post by FrenchFlybebe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks for the pie idea :D

I looked for chestnut pie recipes and found this wild mushroom and chestnut cottage pie, it "sounds" tasty and is vegetarian.
Also this one : mushroom chestnut pie from a vegetarian blog.

There are others but it's mostly sugary and/or with alcohol in it.
I know roasted chestnuts are good, when I say I don't like it, people wonder what's wrong with me :)
As for stuffing, that's how I ate chestnuts growing up, but I don't cook meat anymore.

trissie

Post by trissie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 am

Well, I'd go for the chocolate chestnut pie, but whatever works for you :-)

When I think about it, for me, it's not really the taste of roasted chestnut, it's the memory of eating them that makes them taste so delicious - funny how human mind works!

FrenchFlybebe

Post by FrenchFlybebe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:28 am

I guess we all have foods that bring up childhood memories. :D

I do chestnut and chocolate cakes, and love them, but for these I use canned chestnut cream.
I wish I could make cream out of fresh chestnuts but I've searched the subject, and apparently you need a very strong mixer, which we don't have (and have no room for).
Or, well, I could boil the chestnuts for a very long time and see if I can puree it with a fork. Then make a cake.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 am

Frenchfly
cooked chestnut can be pressed through potato ricer and it will be easier to handle from there on....

funmumlu

Post by funmumlu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:14 am

http://www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/2681 ... -Christmas

hi ffb!! This o e is really nice, I keep coming back to it. The goats cheese adds a real tang and the sage makes you thunk there must be some meat in there ( for non veggies!) Tell me what you think!

L x

Tonia

Post by Tonia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 am

Just yesterday I got an email with a link to a recipe for chestnut pasta. It is in German, however, despite the fact that it is about French cooking and written by a French lady. Not sure how much use it could be for you.

http://www.franzoesischkochen.de/pate-f ... lig-sauce/

FrenchFlybebe

Post by FrenchFlybebe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you for the interesting ideas :)

kitkat I actually hate when chestnut is pureed, my mom made too many chestnut purees with turkey for christmas meals :? now I like it chunky not smoothly pureed.

funmum thanks for the veggie recipe, I may try it or not :)

Tonia I can read German and understand most of it. thanks, I keep it in my bookmarks for when I have chestnut flour (chestnut meal?) in my pantry.

I made the chestnut and mushroom cottage pie recipe I had posted earlier (with a few tiny changes) It tasted great, MrNG loved it, although it was a bit long to prepare I may cook it again.

Right now I have a small can of sweet chestnut cream to use, maybe for chocolate cookies or a chocolate cake, replacing sugar and part of flour in the regular chocolate cake recipe.