Carmel Corn

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

nt2

Carmel Corn

Post by nt2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am

Here's the Caramel Corn recipe from Allrecipes .com with my notes. Make sure to read my notes for best results .

"Popcorn is coated with brown sugar and corn syrup caramel then baked for a crunchy treat."
Ingredients:
1 cup butter (¼)
2 cups brown sugar (¾)
1/2 cup corn syrup (¼)
1 teaspoon salt(½) 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (¼)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (½)
5 quarts popped popcorn(2 ½)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
3. Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces

Notes -make sure you use plain popped corn -no buter microwave ,think you could micro ,just no butter . I just did mine in old fashioned shaker popper with no oil or butter . As soon as popcorn is popped put into huge pan or pans and keep in 250 degree oven while you make the syrup .
Syrup- there was way too much and don’t need that much butter or brown sugar . Readers said use ½ the butter, it was plenty .
I used ½ recipe for ½ popcorn, next time I’m going to use ½ recipe for full amount of popcorn, even increase popcorn to 6 cups .I would try maybe ½ cup of brown sugar next time- be sure to really mix that syrup mix til the brown sugar is completely dissolved .Also use heavy bottom pan or it will burn on bottom .
Here’s my amounts in () in reg recipe
According to readers notes , I tried storing the small amount left in a ziplock bag and the rest in a tight screw on top ziplock plastic storage container. I think the ziplock bag worked a bit better .