How Do You MAKE Sourdough Starter??

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

FreeAtLast-WW
Location: Whatever happens, stay with me. I'll look after you.

How Do You MAKE Sourdough Starter??

Post by FreeAtLast-WW » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Because I have wanted to try making some for a long time. I know somehow you are supposed to acquire starter from the dawn of creation, but I need to have an alternative to this, so, can anyone tell me what this is? :) Thanks! :D

slobette

Re: How Do You MAKE Sourdough Starter??

Post by slobette » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am

Hi, new here, but used to participate many, many years ago.

The best make-your-own sourdough starter I use is from the King Arthur Flour website. I've got one that I feed just once a week when I bake my bread and it's been very "active" for about 6 months now.

You start by: "Combine 4 ounces (1 cup) whole rye flour (pumpernickel) or whole wheat flour with 4 ounces (1/2 cup) non-chlorinated cool water in a non-reactive container. " It takes several days to get a good, active sourdough starter. If you go to their website and search recipes, you'll find it (too long to post here).

Two tips: I added 1/4 tsp instant yeast when I started mine, although it's probably not really necessary--just added insurance. And, I rarely throw out any of the starter--I use it in pancakes or waffles or baking bread, even though it's not "ready" yet.

Good luck

P.S. the recipe on the KA website for Rustic Sourdough Bread is excellent!