White Sweet Potatoes

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

waterbug

White Sweet Potatoes

Post by waterbug » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Has anyone made pie with the white sweet potatoes. I have searched online and cannot find anything. I will try it and report back how it works and if I would do it again.

tara

Re: White Sweet Potatoes

Post by tara » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey Waterbug,

I love white (a.k.a.)Jersey sweets. I have never tried them in a pie, but I bet you could just go ahead and substitute directly in any Pumpkin (or sweet potato) Pie recipe.

The dark orange variety most people call "yams" are really just another type of sweet potato. They tend to be more sweet, dense, and moist.

So I guess what I'd do is to bake the sweet potatoes (they're sweeter that way than if you boil them), then taste a bit before I continued with my recipe.

I.E If the white sweets are barely sweet, I would up the amount of sugar in the recipe. If you're at all concerned about the potential health risk in eating raw eggs, make sure you mix your whole pie filling recipe EXCEPT leaving out the eggs. Take a spoonful of the potato-milk-spice mixture (YUM) and see what YOU think about the sweetness....then stir in the beaten eggs.

This way it'll be just how YOU like it.

Let me know...

Meanwhile I'm starting to think about other pumpkin dishes:
Morrocan couscous with pumpkin and preserved lemon
Vegetarian pumpkin and red bean chili
Curried pumpkin and zucchini
Pumpkin bars...

Isn't fall a great time to look at the glorious last of the harvest and start dreaming.
I'd love MORE & MOVE pumpkin dishes, and even better, pumpkin recipes!

Anybody ready to join in?
Tara (cheep)

nt2

Post by nt2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 am

Sounds interesting, Tara. My DH is not a pumpkin or sweet potato fan, but maybe he would eat a bit of pie. Pumpkin and chili might be worth a try,too.

dheath750

Post by dheath750 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 pm

I have used white sweet potatoes to make pies. They taste the same as the orange ones. I'm allergic to orange foods and when I found white sweet potatoes I couldn't wait to try them. :D