meal planning 101?

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Queenbrea

Re: meal planning 101?

Post by Queenbrea » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 am

I'd recommend looking at The Food Nanny book. It assigns out a different kind of meal for each day of the week: fish and meatless, soup, family favorites, grill night, etc. We LOVE ours. It has I think about a dozen recipes for each night of the week and is nicely organized. It's great for my kids who have now started helping make dinner. They are all actually doable and good tasting meals, too, not Betty Crocker extravaganza's that take forever to make. The Food Nanny also has a website where you can print out menu planning worksheets for two weeks that is nice.

dearduckyducky

Post by dearduckyducky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Brea, I'll check that one out.

Una, I'm going to assume you will be cooking for one, correct? If so, I would look into 30 day gourmet or other once a month cooking recipes. There are a ton of great websites and books out there. You wouldn't need to cook a marathon weekend (most of the resources assume you will). You could just decide on one recipe that sounds good, cook it in the full amount. Freeze individual portions. If you did that just once a week, before you knew it you would have a freezer full of ready to go healthy meals already portioned for one. I know my mother really struggled with cooking for one. It's hard to make a complete meal when you won't even eat half of it by yourself. Freezer cooking really helped her to have the food she enjoyed without the worry of being wasteful.

UnaVidaCambia
Location: Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Post by UnaVidaCambia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks QB and Ducky - I'll take a look for the books and see what they say. There's an adult ed center in town and they have cooking classes too, maybe in the spring I'll take a class too.