Breads, Rolls, Muffins, etc

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

countrycook

Re: Breads, Rolls, Muffins, etc

Post by countrycook » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 pm

This is a great Garlic Herb Italian bread recipe- you don't even hav to knead it (although I always do,a bit )

Italian Herb Garlic bread
This usually makes 2 med sized loaves, ( ) is for ½ recipe to just make 1 loaf

1 (½) tab yeast *
1 and ½ cups (¾)very warm water-120 degrees
1 (½)tab sug ,1 ½ (¾ ) tsp salt , 1 (½) tab marg
4 (2) cups flours + 1 (½ ) cup oat flour **
1 (½ tsp oregano , ½ (¼) tsp It seasoning, 1/8 tsp dried garlic -add with flour
If using reg yeast - add yeast to ½ c (¼)of the hot water,add a pinch of sug, stir to dissolve. Add rest of sugar, salt, and marg to rest of hot water ,stir til sug is dissolved.Add yeast and flour . Stir 5 times over next hour . Shape dough into 2 balls(or 1 for ½ recipe ) . Let set on board for 10 min. Roll out into two long skinny loaves, slash several times ,the long way . Put on greased cookie sheet . Let rise 1 and ½ hrs .
Bake 400 degrees for 30-35 min or til reaches 190 degrees with instant read thermometer .
You can make this plain without the herbs and garlic,it’s a good Italian bread that way.
Since this has very little oil in it, this bread will dry out fast, if you have any leftover but makes great croutons .
* If you use instant yeast- mix yeast with 1 cup of the flour. Mix all the hot water with the marg etc. Cut both rise times in ½ and it will be fine.
** I make oat flour by pulsing reg oats in a food processor til it’s fairly fine- great way to add some goodness to my baked goodies .

FreeAtLast-WW
Location: Whatever happens, stay with me. I'll look after you.

Post by FreeAtLast-WW » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 pm

The streusel coffee cake recipe, on the previous page, is our official favorite coffee cake. The last time I made it, I skipped the streusel topping and instead put a can of peaches (minus the juice/syrup) on the bottom of a greased 13x9in pan, sprinkled brown sugar on top of them, then poured the batter over the top and topped with more brown sugar and a broken up graham cracker crust. (It was what I had on hand.) It came out very nice. This is a great recipe. :)

*When I typed in "streusel" the auto-correct wanted to change it to "stressful", I think stress should definitely be left out when you cook* ;)

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 pm

since this includes whole grains, it maybe goes here - or else in cookies - so I will try for both

posted by country cook - she gives credit to supermama

Found it

Granola bar recipe from Super mama ( She boards)
CC- clarifying the recipe. I knew it didn't sound quite right but went from memory. I dont find it too sweet if you use nuts and grains and not choc chips.I do like the dried cranberries in it.
It is
Granola Bars
4 cups oatmeal
5 cups of individual ingredients
1 can sweetened condensed milk
CC- I press it onto a cookie sheet. It is quite thin. Maybe about 1/2 inch

Bake at 350 20 min or til golden brown. Cool, break into pieces

I changed it a bit (of course :roll: ). I bake it at 325 ,take it out after 20-25 min, let it cool a bit then try to cut inot squares.
I use dried cranberries, walnuts, a bit of coconut flakes, raisins, crushed cereal(raisin bran type or whatever is on hand), peanut butter chips and a couple squeezes of maple syrup .

SweetSister65

Post by SweetSister65 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:23 pm

This is a recipe our Brownie Troop baked during a meeting. We sent home mini loaves of this bread with the girls when their parents picked them up.

Pumpkin Bread

1 & 1/2-cups sugar
1/4-tsp. baking powder
3/4-tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1/2-tsp. each- cinnamon and nutmeg
1 & 2/3-cups flour
1/2-cup cooking oil
1-cup pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2-cup chopped nuts

Stir together in a large mixing bowl.
Pour into 1 large bread pan or 2 small bread pans.

Bake 1 & 1/2-hours at 325* Fahrenheit. It's a recipe that can be doubled, too. :D

Gma

Post by Gma » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 pm

My Swedish Grandmother's Rye bread known as LIMPA

2/3 cup brown sugar (dark brown is preferred but any will do)
2/3 cup molasses (again, dark is preferred for richest flavor, but light/ gold label is acceptable)
2 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon anise seed
grated rind from one (organic if you can find it) orange. Use the small holes on the grater, NOT the large holes
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons animal fat (lard or butter)

put that all into a kettle and simmer for 5-7 minutes. The house will smell wonderful! Let that cool to luke warm, You can hurry the cooling by living in MN and placing the kettle outside when the temp is below 0, or you can simmer using 1 1/2 cup water and add the other cup cold when the simmering is finished.

proof the yeast:
2 Tablespoons or 2 packets dry yeast, in 1/2 cup warm water. plus 1 tsp sugar if you wish

flour -
4 cups rye flour (sometimes called "medium" rye flour. It is light colored. Not pumpernickel)
5-6 cups white flour - I have best luck with "bread flour"

I add the rye flour to the first brew, then the proofed yeast and beat slowly with my paddle beater until it is totally well mixed. Then I add some of the white flour, as much as the paddle can handle. Sometimes I add the remainder and have the dough hook help with the kneading, sometimes I add teh last white flour by hand, with a wooden spoon and knead it well on the counter or bread board. Most of the time 5 to 5 1/2 cups white flour is the right amount.

Rye flour is lower gluten, it is sticky. I grease my hands with butter for the kneading. And TAKE RINGS OFF!
Let the dough rest/ rise for an hour
Divide into 4 chunks about equal size. Shape into loaves. Place into buttered loaf pans EKCO number 2 or 7 3/8 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4.
If using next large size pan, 3 loaves. And the largest size loaf pan I have this only makes 2, but a double recipe will make 5. I like the first size I instructed.

melt some butter and coat the surface using a pastry brush or a cheap natural bristle cheap paint brush, cover loosely like for any yeast bread.
Let rise until ready to go into oven. Duration will depend on how warm your room is.

Bake at 325-350 oven, 30 to 25 minutes.
When it comes out of the oven, brush a little more butter on the crust for a nice soft crust.

See King Arthur flour website for more information on technique. I have given you good ingredients.

Musicalcatlover

Post by Musicalcatlover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 am

THANK YOU, GMA!

Musicalcatlover

Post by Musicalcatlover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 am

THANK YOU, GMA!