my conclusion - I really DON'T like to cook! Anyone else??

Please share your favorite recipes and cooking tips!

Moderators: atlanticflyer, funmumlu, Zygorp, butterfly, AlleyKat

Re: my conclusion - I really DON'T like to cook! Anyone else??

Postby funmumlu » Wed May 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Ugh, planning's even worse than cooking! :lol:
funmumlu

Postby aussiejo » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 pm

now THAT made me laugh - planning is my salvation to keep my ship on course!
aussiejo

Postby butterfly » Fri May 07, 2010 3:54 am

Wow! I'm impressed too, aussiejo!

One of the benefits of being away as much as I have been lately, I have not had to cook!! :D
Wouldn't miss it if I never cooked another meal in my life! :wink:
butterfly

Location: And the day came when the risk to remain inside the bud was greater than the risk it took to blossom

Postby butterfly » Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 am

The craziness has pretty much continued and I have cooked far less than normal because I haven't been home at that time. And, in 11 days ( but who's counting :wink: ) DH's schedule changes so he's gone at supper time 4 days a week! Boy, do I look forward to those 2 months each year where I don't have to worry about it! He's pretty particular, so it's such a huge stress relief to not have to worry about what he will or won't like.
butterfly

Location: And the day came when the risk to remain inside the bud was greater than the risk it took to blossom

Postby aussiejo » Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 am

Remind us all why you do all the cooking ...
aussiejo

Postby butterfly » Sat May 22, 2010 1:28 am

aussiejo - someone believes that if you don't work outside of the home, then all work within the home is yours...
butterfly

Cooking

Postby I'mTildy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm

I was never taught to cook as a girl. I always had my head in a book and never was curious. I figured when I needed to learn, I would. That's what I did after I got married. I decided what I liked and learned to fix it. I started out slow but made progress. Since dh passed on, I dislike cooking for one but am better at freezing the leftovers now. Meanwhile, I have to eat. My sister used to call me the casserole queen. I didn't really do anything fancy but it was always tasty. I do a version of Semi-Homemade. I might open a can of ravioli. I put it in a casserole dish which makes it look better. Then I add some shredded cheese I keep in the freezer and open a can of mushrooms and drain them. Sprinkle on a little parmesean and some parsley flakes from a jar. It looks and tastes good, especially if I have a little leftover spaghetti sauce to stir in. I make lasagna by doing the version where you put UN cooked noodles in and bake it. Same deal, canned spaghetti sauce and add the other ingredients. Make frozen Texas Toast on the side in the oven. I use frozen veggies like broccoli or green beans and nuke them. Serve them with ranch dressing for a nice side salad. I make simple meals like spaghetti for my guests and they rave. I'm a picky eater so I gag when I go to their house and they slave over chopping and slicing things I won't eat. I make the presentation make up for the lack of gourmet cooking. Napkins and candles go a longggg ways with impressing people and only take a few minutes to throw together with a meal. I get nice steaks on sale and put them in the freezer. I can make a great skillet meal with a pound of hamburger, drain/rinse, and toss in a box of mac and cheese, some frozen veggies and...viola! All in one pan. I keep my freezer and cupboard stocked with staples and can toss a meal together in no time. Even a cake mix seems better if you get the kind with the pudding in the mix and add a few sprinkles to the icing. If your kitchen and dining room are clean and nicely decorated, it gives the impression that you are a good cook even if you are just average. People still sing my praises months after dining at my house...and trust me, I don't spend much time in that kitchen. I have better things to do with my time! :D
I'mTildy

Postby mamo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Bloom wrote:I have been using a new plan for the past few weeks and I love it!

Sunday - Family Traditions Night (usually something Hungarian, because DH is Hungarian)
Monday - Comfort Food Night (usually mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and meat)
Tuesday - Italian Night (Pasta of course)
Wednesday - Fish or Meatless Night (Soups, fish, breakfast for dinner)
Thursday - Mexican Night (fajitas, nachos, tacos)
Friday - Pizza Night (homemade chicken, Alfredo, green onion and bacon pizza)
Saturday - Grill Night (Grilled meat and grilled vegetables)

And If I go to all the trouble to make the dinner, everybody that is in the house, must eat together at the family table. This makes cooking more worth it. I don't care if they don't like it. The fact that we are all together and enjoying each other's company is more important than anything else.

\I am going to use your meal plan,I really needed this, thanks for posting
mamo

Postby mamo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm

aussiejo wrote:I happen to love to cook BUT at the end of a busy working day it is a low priority and finding the energy to do it is not always there ... so here are my tricks

1. i plan my menus for the week - (this is not original - see the SHE book!)
2. i make sure that on most nights i have 'quick and easy' ... i look for these recipes in books etc
3. i spend 15 minutes AND NOT A MINUTE MORE working on dinner in the morning - this may mean chopping some onions, peeling some carrots, making a salad (but not dressing it), gettting out the (non meat) ingredients (spices etc) .... then when i walk in the door at night I have had all day to think about what delicious meal i'm having for dinner (tonight it's dry fried chinese beef - last night it was sung choi bow - that only takes 15 minutes including cooking time!) and it takes only about another 15 minutes to get dinner ready.
4. i break dishes like lasagne down into their component parts ... so make the meat sauce one day (it always tastes better the next day anyway) and make sure you make double and freeze some for spaghetti etc, then the white sauce the next morning (see 15 minute trick above) then i just assemble it all that night and bung it in the oven - or you could even assemble it that night, put it in the fridge and bung it in the oven the next night. i call it 'sneaking up on dinner' - works for me!

Thanks for posting this too!
I just told my DS20 that I don't like to cook because I can't think of anything new that he will eat.
mamo

Re: my conclusion - I really DON'T like to cook! Anyone els

Postby laurlind » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:53 am

Wow I dug this one way out of the archives and found a bunch of ladies just like me. Getting late and I was just sitting here flipping through recipes and such, looking to see what ideas my shefriends come up with. I have an issue with food too, I think I don't actually mind the cooking part once I get motivated, it's the thinking of what to make part that is hard. I've just recently started again with menu planning, as it does work, way less stress that's for sure. Already almost missed a week as I couldn't think of what to put on it. After a month or so I guess that's when you just start recycling ideas? But I only do the evening meal on the menu. Breakfast and lunch are almost a bigger problem for us. I have completely stopped making breakfast unless it's a day when everyone is home. Sometimes I do it once everyone is gone, if DH is later shift. But most days just about everyone leaves for the day before I get to it. I don't like breakfast food, and now I'm trying to come up with healthier options. DH does not cook at all. My DD almost 15 will volunteer some nights, and very easily agree to do it if I'm late or something. I think the key for me is changing my routines, completely in the morning, somehow I have to put breakfast first on the list, it's last at the moment, after school run. Most of us just don't eat then. And everyone has just the odd thing they don't like. Ask DH what he wants and he says "Food". He doesn't care, long as it fills him up. I can cook just fine, long as I don't try to do other things while something is cooking, almost wrecked a pot or 2 with completely boiled dry pasta. Can even create my own things if needed. I just hate coming up with ideas, I'm tired of pasta, kraft dinner, simple canned soup for lunch. And much rather fruit, yogurt, and toast or something for breakfast, than pancakes or something else with dough. It's kinda me that's the fussy one. Ok I won't say kinda, it is me. But I'm trying to get healthier too, and I can't get the desire to make 2 different meals to change my diet.

I do like your different variety of a different meal each night.
laurlind

Postby crossby » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:32 pm

I have been using a new plan for the past few weeks and I love it!

Sunday - Family Traditions Night (usually something Hungarian, because DH is Hungarian)
Monday - Comfort Food Night (usually mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and meat)
Tuesday - Italian Night (Pasta of course)
Wednesday - Fish or Meatless Night (Soups, fish, breakfast for dinner)
Thursday - Mexican Night (fajitas, nachos, tacos) คาสิโน
Friday - Pizza Night (homemade chicken, Alfredo, green onion and bacon pizza)
Saturday - Grill Night (Grilled meat and grilled vegetables)

And If I go to all the trouble to make the dinner, everybody that is in the house, must eat together at the family table. This makes cooking more worth it. I don't care if they don't like it. The fact that we are all together and enjoying each other's company is more important than anything else.
crossby

Postby Desert Bloom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm not a fan of labor-intensive food preparation or of washing pots and pans and other equipment.

I always have some version of this picture in my refrigerator. (not my picture, this picture is from google images). I either buy a ready-made (organic) vegetable tray at the grocery store, or make my own.

It's fairly easy to just wash and slice vegetables, as I am taking them out of the grocery bags, and put them on a tray. I either buy ready-made (organic) dip/dressing, or make my own, and place the dip/dressing container in the middle of the platter, and then put the vegetables around it.

When I want a snack, I don't have to figure it out. All I have to do is open the refrigerator and the tray's already there, ready to eat. Then I just re-cover (reuse plastic wrap) what's left, and put it back into the refrigerator, ready to go for the next munching session.

My only rule is: when picking up a piece of vegetable, we (by hand) rip the piece into bite sized pieces, so no double-dipping into the dip container we share.
Desert Bloom

Postby butterfly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Desert Bloom - that is such a great thing that you do - we are so much more apt to grab something healthier like that when it is already ready for us. Brilliant!

I have gotten fruit trays like that in the past, and have had fairly good luck with getting ones with good flavor and ripeness. I should probably consider doing the same with veges.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the bite size pieces and no double dipping - when I go to family events I often stop having something on the appetizer table after seeing a little (or big!) one either take a bite of something and put it back, or double dip. Yuck!

Thanks for posting this!
butterfly

Postby butterfly » Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Desert Bloom - just wanted to let you know I acted on your post, and I have since enjoyed a fruit tray over a period of time, as well as cut up celery and carrots! Any healthy steps like that added in are positive ones! Thank you for inspiring me! :D
butterfly

Previous

Return to Kitchen Discussion Board